McKinsey & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4

2,285 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Grateful to have been there, just as grateful to have left"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager (Previously Associate) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager (Previously Associate) in Houston, TX

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ People - both colleagues and most clients
    + Learning opps - both in terms of the consulting toolkit but also for the opportunity to get exposed to different industries, functions and geographies
    + Option value - great launching pad for career switching (pre-McK, I was in oil and gas in Houston, post-McK I'm in edtech in the Bay Area)
    + Alumni network - incredibly well-placed and people are actually super-responsive to asks for help
    + Brand recognition - helps in the jobs marketplace
    + Travel opps - if this is important to you

Cons

+ Lifestyle - enough said
    + Success/failure at the Firm is highly dependent on luck -- a lot really depends on the luck of the draw with respect to staffing. You want to be staffed on the right project with the right team at the right time. The Firm does its best to give you a fair shot, but a fair number of people fall through the cracks.
    + Nature of consulting -- eventually you might get tired of providing advice and want to actually build stuff.
    + People are uber-rational -- in MBTI parlance, almost everyone is an ''NT". It creates a very logical / rational culture - you need to make sure you can fit into the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating to provide a strong value proposition to both clients and staff - not always an easy balance, but necessary given all of the disruption we're seeing in the consulting industry.

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Great development and exit opportunities; amazing colleagues

Cons

Tough working hours and travel can be tiring.

3. "Senior Research Analyst"

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

- Bi-annual reviews and opportunity to ask for assignments in a direction you want to grow in
    - Unparalleled exposure to senior members
    - Culture of mentorship and sponsorship

Cons

- If you are hired for a team, you have to play within those constructs
    - When you are looking for high growth, your work-life balance will suffer

4. "Great experience with McKinsey Implementation!"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Coach in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Coach in Washington, DC

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Talented and experienced colleagues at McKinsey Implementation (MI)
    +Strong tight-linked network within MI, with a great entrepreneurial spirit
    +Great opportunities for real client impact in MI; we work alongside clients ranging from front line to senior leadership to drive real change
    +Challenging environment with great development opportunities
    +Strong culture of mentorship and apprenticeship throughout McKinsey
    +Values-driven culture both at MI and McKinsey as a whole

Cons

Consistent travel is challenging. Typical model is to travel to clients Monday morning and return home Thursday evening.

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue opportunities for smart travel and remote work options whenever possible.

5. "McKinsey Implementation"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Coach in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Coach in Boston, MA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left another strategy consulting firm to join McKinsey Implementation because I wanted to work more closely with clients and to have my day-to-day work contribute more directly to client impact, and that is exactly what I have found at MI. Each day, I work side-by-side with client leadership, coaching them on how to successfully implement our recommended strategy, and how we can best adapt our strategy when we encounter unexpected obstacles. This allows me to develop meaningful relationships with the client, but also to see exactly how my work is contributing to the client's needs.

Furthermore, MI is the fastest growing team within McKinsey, which has been exciting to be a part of. This rapid growth has created an environment where everything is dynamic (e.g., processes, culture, best practices), and it is immediately apparent upon joining that every member of the team has an opportunity to influence the direction of the team.

Cons

One of the hardest parts of joining an implementation team is realizing that a big part of our jobs is clearly conveying the progress made by the team to different aspects of team leadership. This means that a lot of time is spent figuring out how to clearly communicate what we have accomplished, where we want to be when we finish, and how we will get there. It's not hard to see why this is important, but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable.

6. "Partner"

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Incredible opportunity to grow as a professional and learn on the job, working with some of the most talented people in the world.

Cons

Work hours can be long, but professional growth is fast

7. "Great"

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

great company and benefits, great career development

Cons

Work life balance is still pretty hard, travel not very sustainable for women.

"McKinsey New York office (NYO)"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Many opportunities across industries (mainly healthcare and banking) and functions (strategy & "finance", CCAR around Q4, some org, some marketing and sales)
    + Biggest office in the U.S. with lots of senior people (senior partners, partners) which can give you great exposure
    + Prestige - easy to move to other office/location if you start in NYO

Cons

- Extremely intense and competitive staffing process. Feels like an interview every time you are up for staffing. Absolutely prioritize people when you pick your studies (v. prioritizing location, function, client.
    - Hard to find supporters and sponsors who can really mentor you and guide you through your career. Think of it as "tribes," where you have to find "your people" - i.e., colleagues 1-3 layers above you who support you and then you have to purposely get re-staffed with the same group of people
    - Not forgiving at all. "You are as good as your last study" It takes 2-3 studies to recover a bad one, and you may never be able to recover if you get on a downward spiral. The inherent problem with consulting is that the evaluation process is very subjective. I can show a powerpoint deck to 5 partners and get completely different reactions. As such, relationships and "aligning" with your partners' agendas is extremely important.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible environment and professionalism. The people are amazing, always pushing to improve and expand upon the value we brought to clients, as well as internally. Lots of opportunity for learning, expanding your knowledge, and to get involved in different practice areas of interest. Full benefit package was outstanding.

Cons

Challenging to maintain balance. Sporadic flexibilty with support staff...sometimes great...but also sometimes extremely rigid. Compensation increases very low, and evaluation process while very thorough, was discouraging & demotivating.

"Working with the smartest folks to deliver great impact"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Coach in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Coach in Houston, TX

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Client Impact: It is very fulfilling to me to deliver great impact and making a difference by problem solving and coaching clients at all level (Senior Executives - Front Line Employees) to help build client capabilities and set them up for success for the long term.
    - People: I love working with really smart people everywhere, I have never been with a group of people this smart. The IQ level at this firm is definitely at the far end of the spectrum, the average IQ is probably 2 to 3 standard deviations above the total average IQ. The Firm does not go cheap on training people and helping develop leadership skills.
    - Compensation & perks: Great pay, health insurance, 401K and other benefits, in addition to other perks

Cons

You have to work for long hours, but the firm has many tools to help improve life style, it is up to you to create your own McKinsey. For me I enjoy the work I do, so I don't feel that working long hours is a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing!

Showing 2,285 of 2,408 reviews