McKinsey & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Reviews

Updated July 4, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Steep learning curve with a supportive team environment, feedback heavy culture that is focused on strengths based personal development (in 75 reviews)

• Working with really smart people (in 150 reviews)

Cons

1. "Is it worth it? I won't know until my next opportunity"

Current Contractor - Junior Associate in Miramar, FL
    Current Contractor - Junior Associate in Miramar, FL

I have been working at McKinsey & Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Having McKinsey on your resume

Cons

My comments only apply to the Optimize group in McKinsey located in Miramar, Florida. Where to begin... my pay is comparable to a cashier at Walmart, contractors are second class citizens, my manager is non existent and selfish, my director is sleeping with female employees in the office, my coworkers look beyond depressed, the most pompous guy in the office keeps getting promoted and despite my best efforts to produce results and be productive - I wasn't able achieve much.

Advice to Management

Start being leaders and actually guiding the young people who are working for you and giving the job everything they've got.

"associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McKinsey is a decent name to have on your resume, but that is probably the only pro you will get from this organization.

Cons

This place is terrible. The work is terrible. The lifestyle is terrible. The management is horrendous. The pay per hour is no better than minimum wage. Zero flexibility. Zero understanding. Zero respect for outside responsibilities. They will lure you in with promises of personal development and "impactful" work, but it's nothing more than a lie to sucker in the next batch of recruits that they can churn through to make more money for the partnership. Avoid this place at all costs.

Advice to Management

Hiring young, intelligent, motivated people and exploiting them to make ungodly amounts of money for yourselves is a shameful practice. End it now.

"Not worth the branding"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good brand name
    Met some cool colleagues

Cons

Sweatshop hours for low pay
    Obsessing over extraneous details in powerpoints when the actual content was fluff
    terrible expense policy

"Practice Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work with smart colleagues and clients. The "up or out" culture guarantees that people are productive.

Cons

Very little support for non-consulting staff and ineffective managers. There is a two tiered system at McKinsey, one for consultants and one for non-consultants and the lack of respect and consideration for non-consultants is constantly shocking. There is no thought to the professional development of those who aren't on the consultant track and they are treated like second class citizens.

Advice to Management

Invest in CSSA in order to decrease turnover. Value their work and input, develop their managerial skills, and support them to succeed.

"As soon as I was identified as voting for Trump it all wen down hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at McKinsey & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of great things, TRUMPED by the one bad thing.

Cons

I was asked many times who I was voting for in the 2016 US Presidential election and as soon as I finally said Trump I was isolated, singled out and eventually ejected from McKinsey. Discriminating against me because of who I voted for. @realDonaldTrump

Advice to Management

Don't discuss presidential politics with workers, clients or on client sites.

"EA"

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working here

Cons

The people, the rigidity of the structure, the total lack of valuing the employees.

Advice to Management

Nothing that I'd write would be implemented.

"implementation coach"

Pros

big name, talking blah blah blan

Cons

not professional, can't believe it is Mckinsey

"awful place to work - STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!!"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it's hard to say there are any pros to working at McKinsey -- it's an awful place to work and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone else

Cons

everything about this place is a con, including the way they con people into thinking it's an amazing "learning environment" and that they will help develop you and your skills -- all the partners of this firm do is pointlessly work you like a dog to create the appearance of productivity and importance for clients

Advice to Management

aybe try once and a while to treat your employees like adults and not helpless little children who need some paternalistic partner watching their every move

"worst experience of my life"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none; there are literally no positive things to say about McKinsey

Cons

awful lifestyle, excessive travel, pointless work, constant deliverables, intellectually arrogant co-workers, uninteresting clients, terrible managers, lack of training, complete lack of control over staffing, deceitful staffing personnel, incredibly deceitful partners, crappy overused/recycled "solutions", virtually no data-driven guidance (mostly just BS opinions), no autonomy, complete micromanagement...

Advice to Management

Your firm is terrible in every sense of the word. Stop pretending to be a place that "develops"people -- call a spade a spade and admit you simply use and abuse accomplished, hard-working people to make you money. The smart, talented, honest, creative, intelligent, interesting people leave and the rest remain to run the Firm; and the cycle of abuse continues...

"EM"

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

get to work across diff industries

Cons

terrible work-life balance esp at EM level. career prospects not as good as it used to be.

Showing 52 of 2,323 reviews