McKinsey & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Steep learning curve with a supportive team environment, feedback heavy culture that is focused on strengths based personal development (in 73 reviews)

• Great place to work with super smart people and good benefits (in 147 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand and exit opportunities

Cons

Noticeable, if not significant, confirmation bias from the leadership

"McKinsey as a company is wonderful - Tampa ain't it."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

McKinsey & Company has AMAZING benefits - you can't beat them. They are super generous in their retirement package and celebrate your major growth milestones with the company in additional vacation time and cash bonuses.

You get to work with the brightest minds in corporate America and you get so much exposure to great clients and connections. I firmly believe they are the stepping stone to get you in the door (and totally stand out) wherever you want to be as your next venture when you're ready for a change.

Cons

McKinsey Tampa is not a TRUE representation of McKinsey & Company. You do NOT get the perks like other office EAs - extravagant outings, opportunities to work closely with CSS and partners, better bonuses structures, better pay for the market areas you support, better year end gifts because you're seen as a LIVE person (not a robot EA), oh and adulthood treatment. Tampa does NOT allow you to take your computer home as an EA, it is NOT allowed to give your personal cell phone out, you do NOT have access to your work email out of the office and you will never have much opportunity to work from home unless the office is flooding 6 feet under. I'd like to also mention you are up against the office EA's leadership who will go for blood to take your partner when they get elected.

Advice to Management

The various management is spotty. While one is over the top watching your every step to the bathroom another will be so down to earth and flexible. There's a huge disconnect range of in between so it would be a huge benefit to align the front line.

We should keep it real - this job can be done from home. More flexibility would retain and keep better quality people for the long haul. Granting even a 3rd of the advantages office EA's have would really boost morale and make us feel more united.

Grant EA's more opportunities to advance instead of forcing them to find a roof on the 3rd /7th floor under different supervisors.

3. "Good work experience, weird office culture"

Former Employee - Analyst in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Miramar, FL

I worked at McKinsey & Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience was good here, but not great. I think the work I did was interesting and I had a lot of freedom to pursue what I was interested in. My manager really cared about my development and was a very kind individual. I became good friends with those on my time.

Cons

Some people in the office can be rude, surprisingly inappropriate in terms of their comments about people/work, many people are contractors so lots of in and out which creates a negative atmosphere, dismal pay considering it's McKinsey, higher ups are not intelligent and are bad leaders

Advice to Management

Some of your middle management staff are far more intelligent and better leaders than the higher up executives. There needs to be an overhaul in the office culture - I was taken aback more than a few times by comments people said in the break room. Also, increase the pay - definitely not attracting top talent with such low salaries.

5. "Work life balance ???"

Current Employee - Support Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Support Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot and you can grow as an individual here. People are willing to help and share knowledge

Cons

-Diff between support staff and consultant
    -treatment
    -overload if you are alone to support 100 people
    -everything is urgent here
    -lack of support from management

Advice to Management

better treatment for support staff as we are giving our best same as consultants

6. "Instructional Designer"

Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Dallas, TX

I worked at McKinsey & Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional Company with nice perks like coffee,soft drinks, snacks in a nice employee kitchen. Once monthly they bring in lunch for the office.

Cons

Location is DT Dallas, strict dress code, staff is not very friendly.

"Be an EA at Another McKinsey Office if Possible"

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Great Benefits. Casual environment. Friday lunches paid for by the firm. Kitchen stocked with drinks and snacks. Opportunity for a raise to salary once a year.

Cons

Major issues are capacity and relief for EAs. No growth opportunities. (You can move to another position in the service center, but more than likely you will take a major pay cut). If your consultant makes partner, you are encouraged not to move to their region that they work out of and become an in-office EA. Additionally if your consultant becomes a partner and you do not wish to continue to be their EA at the Tampa Service Center, you are encouraged to just accept the position.

No travel opportunities to help with consultant's needs, unlike the other McKinsey offices around the world.

Encouraged not to talk about transfers to other McKinsey offices or regions within the Tampa Service Center with the consultants you support, even if you have supported them for a long time and have built a close relationship. The consultants are the last ones to know when a change is happening to their support, and for the most part they generally have no say in the change.

No professional recommendations can be given once you have left the firm to either work somewhere else or continue your education. This remains true for not only your consultants, but also the managers who you report to. No one is able to comment on your work ethic. HR can only confirm that you used to work for the firm.

The pay allows you to just barely be able to live on your own, especially if you have student loan payments to make. It can be hard to save money. Many EAs have side jobs, including working as servers in restaurants, or selling things from home, like Mary Kay or LulaRoe, just to be able to save up enough money to spend a little extra on things or create a decent savings account.

Advice to Management

Focus hiring on only certain regions and relief.
    Certain regions are more over capacity than others.
    Relief is poorly run. Relief is not treated as a priority when hiring, when it should be. Especially with over 200 EAs that count on relief.

The management needs to be more transparent and more approachable.

Issues and questions need to stop being "lost" in the chain of command.

8. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent job security

Cons

Place has lost what made it special. With rapid growth it feels very corporate

9. "A good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

intelligent colleagues willing to help you grow and learn
    access to multiple industries, functions and regions
    solid training in analytics and communications

Cons

too much travel
    long working hour
    sometimes focus of the work are not much value-added to the client

Advice to Management

add more career path options, especially for women

"a vanity fair"

Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

large global company with thousands of employees, everything is well developed, well organized. Everyone's doing the best at their roles. You get used to work with efficient, well trained and committed coworkers.

Cons

Some consultants think they are gods that go to the client's to save the world

Advice to Management

be more humble and please don't transform young professionals eager to learn, in monsters

"Team Lead of Administrative Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I worked at McKinsey & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. They take care of there employees.

Cons

The Partners don't seem to interact well together which makes it challenging to develop a team environment.

Showing 293 of 2,237 reviews