McLaren Engineering Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Malcolm G. McLaren, P.E.
  1. "Manager"

I have been working at McLaren Engineering Group full-time

Pros

Great environment that fosters growth both intellectually, professionally and personally. Diverse culture with many exciting divisions/projects resulting in a work place where one is never bored.

Cons

Not enough time in a day to take in all the firm has to offer.....days seem like seconds and each one presents new challenges and work experiences.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...continue to hire additional mid and senior level technical managers to foster continued growth and open doors to new business markets.

McLaren Engineering Group2016-07-19
  2. "Junior Engineer"

I have been working at McLaren Engineering Group full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers and a lot of work experience

Cons

Fast learning curve and a quick turn around on projects

McLaren Engineering Group2017-12-19
    • "Relaxed Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Junior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at McLaren Engineering Group full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, excellent work-life balance, flexible schedule, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Pay is decent, but not as competitive as larger firms; management could be better organized; benefits are not great

Advice to Management

Management should foster better communication with each other. Internal organization leads to external reward.

McLaren Engineering Group2017-05-20

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at McLaren Engineering Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a wide variety of projects and McLaren is a great place to get experience. There are a lot of intelligent engineers and there is really no limit to the problems they can solve.

Cons

There is currently no formal training program for technical and procedures, however a training program is being developed. Sometimes the volume of projects can be high which makes for more stress; this comes and goes and is characteristic of the industry.

Advice to Management

Hire more project managers and upper level people to help share the load so that managers can focus on business development and growing the firm.

McLaren Engineering Group2016-05-20

"A Great Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Staff Structural Engineer in West Nyack, NY

I have been working at McLaren Engineering Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management truly cares about your success. I could not ask for a better advocate for my success than my manager. Projects are diverse and interesting. Young employees are given opportunities to step up early in their careers and assume as much responsibility as they are able. These creates a fast-paced and challenging work environment.

Cons

Finding a place for yourself once you have your PE and a few years of experience can prove challenging. Opportunities to step up like those available to junior engineers evaporate once you've progressed to a certain point. You are not given any autonomy to take ownership of your projects and make decisions to keep them moving forwards.

Advice to Management

Please consider adding a middle management structure. This will help take some of the technical work off of the upper level managers' plates and allow for growth and will also reduce frustrations for employees who are ready to grow into new roles but are being stifled in their attempts.

McLaren Engineering Group2016-04-21

"Terrible and unhealthy place to work"

Former Employee - Junior Engineer in West Nyack, NY

I worked at McLaren Engineering Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The majority of the other entry level employees are very kind and have the same craving of learning in the real world.So it's a way to meet new people your age. However.... it's hard to create lasting friendships between coworkers since the turnover is insanely high. It helps teach you to be a stronger person since there is a lot of yelling, aggravation and low morale throughout the office.

Cons

1. Leadership is extremely poor. There is no guidance and when you ask questions or need help, you are looked down upon. I can only name one or two people that were actually willing to guide me in my early years as an engineer. 2. Severe lack of life/work balance. It is not acceptable to the Owner that a worker have a life outside of the office. Therefore, it is looked down upon if you need to see a doctor in the middle...

Advice to Management

Overall, almost everything needs to be changed. And even though it has been a few years for me, I know nothing has changed. After leaving and getting a new job, I realized just how bad it was. It was amazing to see in my new job just how many "Nice job" or "Great work" I got before I realized it was normal to hear those things. My advice to management: Compliments go a long way. Treat others as you wish to be treated....

McLaren Engineering Group2016-01-06
    • "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in West Nyack, NY

I have been working at McLaren Engineering Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is driven, competitive and in a growth mode. The type of engineering work is far ranging and challenging. You will be exposed to a multitude of engineering disciplines; a terrific place to develop your technical capabilities and career. Those that are driven to excel will be rewarded and allowed to chart their course. The ESOP has empowered all of the company's employees to think like owners and care about...

Cons

Management policies and decisions sometimes have a short term view at the expense of long term growth and productivity. Company lacks a defined path and corporate structure that is scalable for the future. Some senior management staff do not show a propensity for growth.

Advice to Management

Must do a better job of listening to the employees. Be willing to buy into the growth mode of the firm; leave your comfort zone and stop thinking like a small shop. Empower your dedicated senior employees with greater responsibility and roles. Set a clearly defined path and transition plan for future growth and scalability on a division by division basis and overall corporate structure basis for the decades to come. If...

McLaren Engineering Group2015-10-07
    • "Structural Engineer Intern"

I worked at McLaren Engineering Group

Pros

Great company to work for as young engineer interested in design various structures.

Cons

Training has room to improve as well as field exposure.

Advice to Management

Improve training and allow engineers to get field experience.

McLaren Engineering Group2015-09-30

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Nyack, NY

I worked at McLaren Engineering Group

Pros

Challenging Projects, fair compensation, nice coworkers

Cons

Workload, upper management, clients, guidance

McLaren Engineering Group2015-08-27

"Out of the box thinking, high responsibility."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in West Nyack, NY

Pros

A lot of responsibility, quickly. Varied projects with multi discipline engineering. Great opportunities. Work expected is on par with industry, and the people are great. Well organized office. Employee stock owned benefit

Cons

Leadership needs improvement and they are working on that with the ESOP plan. Not enough people stay a long time, jr engineers usually step out in 4 to 5 years.

McLaren Engineering Group2015-02-22