KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

McMaster-Carr Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2022

Found 937 of over 958 reviews

3.4
McMaster-Carr President & CEO Jay Delaney (no image)
Jay Delaney

What people are saying about McMaster-Carr

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of McMaster-Carr and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Jun 17, 2022 - Data Entry in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great overall no negatives about the company

Cons

None that come to mind

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Trust the Reviews, the Culture is Not Improving

Jul 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- They hire talented people - Excellent pay and benefits - Work/Life balance can be good (depends on the team)

Cons

The culture, the expectations, and the communication is beyond toxic. It doesn't matter if you've been with the company more than a decade, if you get a manager that feels like they don't like you, it's likely you'll be pushed out. Knowledge and experience, about and within the company, don't mean anything, these things are not valued. It really is a revolving door, they don't use experienced managers and nothing is taken lightly. They claim they are working on the culture but they're not, people practices, DEI, and any sense of safety or security are empty claims. Morale is abysmal and work performance will have no bearing on any promotional opportunities or provide any safeguards against a bad manager. Hard work will not take you anywhere at this company and it is absolutely a fear-based culture that they bill as "high expectations." They will look for any weakness they can, good work, when recognized, is only lip service. It seems they want to hire people to make them jump through hoops and then push them beyond a breaking point. The workplace is so toxic that most people are not able to stay regardless of skill or talent. Document all your efforts, they likely won't save you if there's a judgement call. I don't trust the company, I don't trust the management, it seems that peoples' lives and careers are stepping stones for others. Listen to the reviews, stay away if you can or leave early. It's seems clear that retention is not a priority, even when they have eager employees who want to do well.

12 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pretty great if you’re a good cit

Sep 21, 2022 - Management Trainee in Aurora, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay Great benefits Everyone is smart and competent Work life balance Good culture Nice people

Cons

Very unique way of doing things

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Takes care of you + the fam like no one else ever has nor ever will

Aug 9, 2022 - Generalist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent pay scales, extremely generous annual bonus to ALL employees (regardless of your performance or position), 100% free health insurance (that is good quality), 100% employer max annual contributions to a retirement account with 6 years to vest to 100%, annual wellness benefit, employer matched donations to qualifying charities you like, generous parental leave, flexibility around schedules and PTO, 5 days of COVID leave that's separate from your regular pto bank. They provided a generous work from home setup for office folks and regularly provide extra benefits to warehouse staff (from what I can tell). 100% covered learning from accredited organizations, if you're looking to go to undergrad/grad school, get your doctorate, or just take a cooking class! (They just don't cover the taxes on it if not business related.) This year they even gave every person across the company 5% raise to account for inflation (separate from our end of year performance raise). Company holidays, a flexible spending account, college tuition assistance up to like $10k per child for undergrad, opportunities for overtime and holiday pay if interested, employee resource / affinity groups (e.g. LGBTQ, people with different abilities, people of different ethnic groups, etc.)... Great work life balance. I am in love with this company.

Cons

Wish we could telework from anywhere (not just NJ, PA, TX, GA, OH, IL, and CA), and PTO is all 1 bank (not separated into sick, vacation, etc. - some consider this a con). There are no "up the ladder" advancement opportunities, just lateral - which you might see as a con if you're looking to manage people but started as a generalist (but some also see this as a pro).

6 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Have some respect for yourself and work somewhere else. You can do better.

Sep 14, 2022 - Distribution Generalist in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Money and benefits. Oh and the few genuine people who aren't part of the McMaster cult. You'll come to see that after a couple years you are underpaid because this company gives small raises if any and will not promote you. You are then living on a prayer waiting for that end of the year bonus hoping it's a good one. Your earning and learning potential are completely out of your hands and you'll eventually realize that you're just stuck and that you made a big mistake.

Cons

Ladies and gentlemen, I had the great privilege of working for this wonderful company for over 4 years. I don't have a single negative experience I can comment on. It is an inclusive company that strongly values the professional development and mental health of it's employees. Can you sense my sarcasm...? This company is FOUL - plain and simple!! I read all the negative reviews before I walked in the door so I knew what to expect BUT, I kid you not when I say this company STILL completely blew me away! I can honestly say that the negative reviews are understated and 100% accurate. The positive reviews are almost entirely written by the company's corrupt HR department - everyone knows that and at this point it's quite hilarious. For anyone actually considering working here, I'd first advise you to reconsider. This "opportunity" is not what you think it is - you've been lied to. You can get used to that if you want to work for McMaster. If you're naive (like I was) then you'll probably think to yourself "How bad can it really be? I'm smart and I have a strong work ethic so surely my experience will be different. These are just disgruntled employees." If you are the latter and want to give it a shot, then I'd advise you to document your experience at this company. You'll be surprised at how much there is to document. You may not notice it at first - as this company does a decent job of literally hiding it's toxic practices from new employees but eventually you will see. You'll see that what everyone is saying about McM is true. You might even think to yourself "What year is it? How is it even possible that a company like this can still exist? I must be hallucinating or dreaming." You'll thank me later as you ponder writing a book about how backwards and bizarre your experience was. You might also need the documents to spare yourself SOME inevitable harassment and bullying though. If it comes to that and you must speak to HR about it, be prepared for them to gaslight you and tell you that what you're complaining about "didn't happen". They are not there to help you don't be fooled. Let's rewind a second. You know what's funny? You wouldn't be the first person to write a book about McM which is incredibly strange considering that no one really knows about McMaster. You'll also notice that in the sheer volume of reviews of this company on this site; particularly the negative ones. Why are there SO MANY reviews about this relatively small and boring company that no one knows about? Yet another red McMaster flag. If you haven't read that book mentioned above, I highly recommend you do. It's short and incredibly accurate even to this day....and that's because nothing changes at McM. They just lie and pretend to be better but they're not. They're just trying to get you in the door. PS - This company's "People Practices" initiative is a joke. Do they not understand that their management approach completely contradicts and voids People Practices? They do. They just don't care. They're fake.

11 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Good company

Sep 14, 2022 - Small Parcel Shipper in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and benefits and active role

Cons

Its very demanding workload. Must be active individual

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Golden Handcuffs

Dec 16, 2021 - Business Generalist in El Paso, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits Work life balance Easy work Great colleagues Remote work Excellent treatment of customers Parental leave

Cons

I don’t understand how they do not promote within after 10 years of Glassdoor reviews where every single person mentions they need to promote individual contributors. You can have a PhD and they still will not promote you. You can have an outstanding performance review every year but still not be promoted. You can get a degree from an Ivy League school that they care so much about and still not be promoted. I hold a lot of resentment towards them for that. Additionally, they will provide no feedback or path on how to get promoted. Extremely political in that sense and only likely to happen if you find someone to strongly advocate for you. Even if you are promoted (very low chance and takes years) you won’t be treated or paid equally to other supervisors. Corporate employees get more promotions and money than employees in sales. If you are a top performer, try to move to corporate before trying to become a supervisor. Sadly, I’ve been afraid to leave because the pay is too good for the position and I enjoy the work life balance. However, I am not gaining any skills and constantly feel frustrated for feeling held down in a position.

15 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Tone Deaf at the Top

May 2, 2022 - Sales Generalist in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits aka the golden handcuffs.

Cons

Constant managerial and supervisory turnover. No options for career advancement. They micro manage your time down to 15 minute intervals. No job autonomy. Retaliation for not falling in line or for speaking your mind too much when they solicit feedback. Pregnancy discrimination. They do not prioritize team building (less than one hour per day, three days a month) but yet use that as the excuse to require the work from home workforce to return to the office. They do not offer remote work as laptops are not available. Instead they offer large monitors, micro PCs, and clunky accessories (a.k.a. "the leash" as many employees call it. You can only work from preapproved locations. They just started looking at HBCUs for their recruiting in their management program (previously Ivy leagues only) and point to that as their "progress" in the DE&I space. They have little else to point to, unfortunately. If you are a woman of color, good luck finding inclusive practices in this space.

19 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Run away from this place, seriously.

Jun 7, 2022 - Warehouse Operative in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Profit Sharing trust, healthcare benefits.

Cons

Extreme favoritism, Hiring Managers who never worked at any job before. They go out of their way to make you think your job is at risk no matter how well you are doing ( they love it when the employees fear them). Most managers have no people skills and even they are in fear of getting fired daily. HR is a complete joke, they move regular supervisors to become HR liaisons, taking your complaints to HR will most likely get you on the Bad list. No career advancements, just a bunch of lateral movements if they like you. Them liking you has little to do with your performances or capacities, they just like people who look the part ( skin color wise and if you Kiss enough behinds, yes Man/woman). The work environment is the worst i have ever experienced in my life. It's almost like High school, management and workers have that Us against them mentality. Morale is low everywhere you look, trust me it is weird, there is a reason why turnover is high and also why HR is writing all of those 5 stars reviews. If you really need the money, take the job, save your money, do 3 years ,cash out your profit sharing , and run away from this place. If you do not need the money, do not even entertain this job. You have been warned, good luck.

13 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Great kinda….

May 12, 2022 - TCC Consultant in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, amazing benefits, cool people, project management, great collaborative work environment, 100% college tuition reimbursement, they will help you buy your first home after 2 years, amazing health benefits, great open door policy, you feel like you belong and are heading in the right direction for the first time in your life, next day delivery (before Amazon!!!), low turnover on all staff

Cons

Poor flexibility, you’re not really sure what your job is, very outdated software/tech, you’re constantly told about how great the company is, everyone seems weirdly a little too happy and kind which makes it kinda creepy, you feel tied down to your wfh setup and then it feels like you’re life is actually just work and work and work, horrible impact on the health of the environment (all calls need to have your zoom camera on and that is horrible on the environment…)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 937 Reviews

McMaster-Carr Reviews FAQs

McMaster-Carr has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 958 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at McMaster-Carr to a friend and 73% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, McMaster-Carr employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at McMaster-Carr. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

58% of McMaster-Carr employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated McMaster-Carr 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 2.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at McMaster-Carr to be coworkers, compensation, benefits and the cons to be career development, culture, management.

Popular Careers with McMaster-Carr Job Seekers