McMaster-Carr Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

3.7
McMaster-Carr President & CEO Jay Delaney (no image)
Jay Delaney
Pros
Cons
  • "All they do is talk about how elite they are and about the luxurious items they buy which turns off most management trainees(in 42 reviews)

• "Their policy is to hire Graduates from Ivy League schools into the management program(in 41 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"This Place is Genuinely Great"

Current Employee - Employee in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time for more than a year

Pros

Where do I start? McMaster-Carr is a really amazing place to work. Covid highlighted this even more. If you appreciate stability but want to work in a fast paced environment, McMaster-Carr is for you. The benefits are actually amazing and the company legitimately cares about its employees. Pros include work life balance, work from home (in the office), compensation (in many ways besides just $$), and a work culture that is getting better every day.

Cons

A few things here... golden handcuffs are real. McMaster-Carr also expects great not good work. These combined make it really difficult if you fall behind or aren't meeting performance expectations. It can be tough and no one wants to be told they aren't doing a good job, but I've seen it happen. Fortunately, it isn't a cutthroat environment, but it doesn't make it any easier for people who are asked to leave behind the benefits McMaster-Carr offers. It feels like there's a culture shift going on as well, more tenured employees are a bit more jaded due to past grievances. Sometimes it can feel like it's new employees vs. tenured, and that needs to change. Stop spreading rumors or horror stories that can make people feel uncomfortable at work.

Continue reading
  2. "Good industrial distributions company to work for"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time for more than a year

Pros

they care about diversity, especially for the industry. the pay, benefits, and work life balance is great

Cons

management can be slow to make changes and adapt. there's a lot of history with the company and people can be used to the way things are even when improvement is possible

3. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, excellent work life balance. Good people.

Cons

Company culture is a bit odd, things are always changing. Hard to forge your own path in terms of growth.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Entry Representative

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits, great pay, I feel respected and given opportunities to grow.

Cons

There is a high standard of work here, and the kind of work we do is not for everyone. If you are process-driven you'll do well.

5. "Great Short Term Role"

Current Employee - Distribution Generalist in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong benefits and golden handcuffs make working there rewarding during the first few years.

Cons

No movement whatsoever unless you were hired into a specific level within the organization. All other "promotions" feel very lateral and do not bring any sort of enrichment to one's career. There is not a lot of visibility of different departments and most information, even if non-competitive, is kept close to the vest by management and the extremely young revolving door of supervisors.

6. "Company like no other"

Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, smart and kind people, impressive workplace and warehouse, focus on professional development

Cons

Improvements to make are usually marginal, management structure can be frustrating, different cultures in different departments

"Benefits? Great. Culture? Crushing."

2.0
    Former Employee - Generalist

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was good, the hours were fair, nothing was expected of you outside of work. Benefits were really solid, especially the end of year bonus.

Cons

No room for advancement unless hired as a management trainee. Culture is horrendous. There is a culture of fear. Retention also awful. Three people from the cohort of ten I was hired with are still at the company after two years. Stress is so high, it's hard not to bring it home. No metric for performance in any role I had is divulged, unless you aren't hitting it.

8. "Great"

Former Employee - Spec Collection

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Great benefits, people, area, culture

Cons

Room for growth could be poor

9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Packer in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Great benefits health insurance easy

Cons

I live far from job takes almost an hour

"Great pay and benefits, toxic and directionless culture"

1.0
    Current Employee - Generalist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is fantastic and benefits are top notch. You can move around the company and become a generalist. Management title is in reach if you show interest and work towards it diligently. A couple of directors are trying to change the culture for the better.

Cons

Toxic culture, work-life balance, and unreasonable expectations. Believe the negative reviews.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 731 English Reviews