McMillen Jacobs Associates Reviews

Updated Feb 19, 2020

3.6
McMillen Jacobs Associates President Daniel Adams (no image)
Daniel Adams
  1. "Supportive, Collaborative, Fun place to work!"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

McMillen started out as a family business, and while it has grown, that family mentality stays strong and makes for a great work environment. Leadership is cognizant of a good work life balance and supports its staff wonderfully. I recently had health issues and was incredibly grateful for the support I needed to get well and not stress about losing my job. Incredibly talented engineers and staff to work with - some of the best co-workers I've ever had that leads to great teamwork and project results.

Cons

Workload can be intense and challenging at times, but it is worth it. Seeing and contributing to good work provides great job fulfillment in my opinion.

Continue reading
  2. "Great staff. Okay Benefits"

4.0
    Current Employee - Staff Structural Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Great work environment

Cons

Benefits are average. Standard match on 401k

"Love working here"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn about the industry from the most talented engineers in water resources. Interesting projects at hydro facilities, fish passage, and hatcheries. For those who are eager and want stretch assignments to broaden skills, management is always willing to let you give it a try. It's a great place to development your talents. Clients LOVE McMillen Jacobs which gives us a sense of pride to work here. Also, the location on the greenbelt in downtown Boise is an added plus!

Cons

The workload can be intense at times--but then again, that's better than the alternative.

"Great leadership team"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boise, ID

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership team in the Boise office really care about their employees and it shows! They are constantly trying to make sure our work atmosphere promotes creativity, productivity and positivity …..which is one of the main reasons working at McMillen Jacobs has been so rewarding. As our company continues to grow, I am watching how we are recruiting and gaining talented enthusiastic people. Which leads to my next point, I really appreciate my teammates! We have a collaborative and fun work environment which always helps to put me in a good mood. Also, the pay and benefits are of course another plus!

Cons

I am speaking from the heart, when I say, I cannot think of any cons.

"Working at MJA"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Can be a friendly environment

Cons

Top executives in the company are all related to each other. The incestuous atmosphere is difficult at best if you are not "accepted" by the family. Technical success will not win out over the Family.

"Chief inspector"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in , very collaborative , treat you like an individual Instead of a number.

Cons

Old guard can be a tight knit group

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

Pros

Company is growing but not too big for itself.

Cons

Natural growing pains but organization does a good job to help employees through the stress.

"Clearly on the path to being purchased"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Awesome staff, great culture, super technically competent. Projects are very, very interesting. Ambition and grabbing more project is almost always welcomed.

Cons

Management thinks the staff is obtuse and tells some pretty blatant lies about stuff that "is to our benefit" but really is the company's bottom line protection. Promotion is rarely merit based. Obvious the merger was about one thing and one thing only - a 5 year path to resale and inflating the retirement of the higher ups. Cutting profit sharing, minimizing dividend distributions, minimizing bonuses, minimizing raises, maximizing the number of staff on hand, cutting benefits, all speaks to one thing - a higher book price and a higher price when we sell. Buy stock if you work here. Get rich with them. Hardest workers are exploited/marginalized. Generally, there is an incredible resistance to cutting the dead weight when it starts dragging down offices, projects, and morale. Merger still hasn't gelled. It's two companies, it's going to continue to be two companies for a long time.

"Decent company"

I worked at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Good reputation, opportunity to work with industry leaders, decent enough benefits

Cons

Managers do not hold employees accountable for their actions, very poor communication, slow to respond to inquiries, made me feel like I was just a warm body filling a position rather than a valued member of a team

"engineer for 5 years"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun projects. Great teams to work with. Good clients. Design-build company with a great sense of purpose. I've worked at McMillen Jacobs for over 5 years. McMillen LLC and Jacobs Associates merged together, and the results have been good so far. The CEO and Engineering Manager are fun people.

Cons

My design teams are divided among different offices, so coordination takes more effort. Fine points of the merger between McMillen LLC and Jacobs Associates are still being resolved.

Found 40 reviews