McNeal Professional Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Leslie McNeal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company with benefits"

Former Employee - Project Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McNeal Professional Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and longevity

Cons

As a Contractor your job could be short lived

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job.

2. "Deployment Manager"

Former Employee - Deployment Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Deployment Manager in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at McNeal Professional Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't have any Pro's to comment on

Cons

I have several but putting them here won't change anything

Advice to Management

Let people do the job you hired them to do. Stop trying to over see everything...law suits are just around the corner.

"Terrible Business Ethics, Management, and Overall Operation"

I worked at McNeal Professional Services full-time

Pros

Some of the Pro's of working with McNeal was the opportunities to work at interesting locations. Anywhere from Performing Arts Centers to high class office spaces. Another pro is that there was a great sense of comradery with quite a few of the employees which made being away from home easier.

Cons

The owner was virtually blind to the inlying issues in the field. Although these issues were placed in front of the owner by some highly respected individuals, nothing changed. Even when the owner was in the field physically seeing the issues, nothing changed. Essentially, one person is single handedly destroying this company from the inside out and nothing has or will be done about this. Another detrimental fact is that management was not allowed to perform their jobs. The owner would either advertently or inadvertently do everything the exact opposite of what management would suggest.

Another Con was the plethora of empty promises. Not only was money a constant broken promise, getting the right people in the right places was always a broken promise which would push the morale of the crews even lower than it already is. Speaking of, the morale of the crews has been in the tank for a few years and this issue was brought to the owners attention as well with no change.

The hierarchy created was also an issue in which certain people had the ability to go above their direct manager straight to the owner. This said person is also the one that "had different rules" and "couldn't get fired" in which these statements were brought to the owners attention with no change. This not only created animosity within the team, which the word team is used loosely, it forced management to be out of the loop on many occasions when it came to specific individuals. This animosity was doubled when said individual was also allowed to use their "comp time," which was taken from everyone else.

I could go on for days but to close this out, thousands of miles driven, many hours physically correcting what is basic knowledge in this industry, getting calls at 2am to explain how to make a label, performing administration tasks in the time between, all in one week at 90 hours a week for months on end is no real life for anyone.

Advice to Management

Use your people, especially managers, to your advantage. They are in place to act as the middle man between the owner and field. If they are allowed to perform their jobs as required, with hire and fire ability and true knowledge of financials, you would succeed. You truly need to treat individuals as you would like to be treated because, although people are expendable, you have lost a great deal of amazing employees. Do not make promises you cannot keep and compensate your people in some way, shape, or form as opposed to giving them a pat on the back for a job well done and then turning around and putting more responsibilities on them and taking more of their time away. We all work for our families, our families do not work for you.

"Worse company I EVER worked for!"

Current Employee - Cable Puller in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Cable Puller in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at McNeal Professional Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet some cool colleagues and end up building a good friendship with them. Laid back atmosphere when you on the road.

Cons

Nepotism...If you don't do what the owner tells you to he will either fire you or take you off the schedule. For example I worked 8 hours then the owner wanted me to drive 5 hours round trip to Tennessee to pick up a tool. I told him I'm tired and I been up since 4AM long story short he took me off the schedule for not going. VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE. It's a small company but 6 employees quit in the last 6 months (Director of Business Operations, 2 construction Managers, Secretary, the lead installer etc). Which he haven't replaced for whatever reason. Owner favors his family and can care less about yours he will keep on the road and never let you come home if it was his way. Very low pay almost comical when you think about it. The per Diem is very low you end up have to go over your per Diem and use your own money just for a decent meal for dinner.

Advice to Management

Change everything an actually care about your employees

5. "contract specialist"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McNeal Professional Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and staff are great to work with.

Cons

The work was based on a contract.

Advice to Management

None

"RF engineer"

Former Employee - RF Engineer in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - RF Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

They allow you to learn a lot and travel . It's has a great group of engineers.

Cons

They don't pay competitive . The management has a high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Become more structured and understand how to treat yout commited workers

"Thankful for the job but glad I'm no longer with them"

I worked at McNeal Professional Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The program manager (aka talent seeker/ salesman/liaison/peace keeper/wizard of Oz that I've never even met) was pleasant and easy to speak with by phone. He hired me as a contractor by phone and worked with the company for over a year and never met him.

Cons

-They will low-ball your salary offer
    -Do not pay contractors for days the company has emergency closings
    -your paycheck reflects your earnings from 3weeks prior
    -only 8 PTO days per year, and you have to watch your paycheck to make sure that your accruals are correct.
    -timekeeper system is not a real time system and will tell you there is more time available than actually avail, and if you go over your PTO hrs, they deduct it from your check without telling you
    -payroll and HR do not respond to emails until after you've contacted them several times, and then they give inaccurate info
    -they take out more benefit payroll deductions than they should, so watch your deductions!!
    -no 401k offered
    -all they did was provide a paycheck, no benefits offered other than healthcare at over $3000 per year which they did not contribute to
    -no company socials or parties except one Christmas event where they came on-site for an hour to provide muffins cut into quarters for adults to share?!?

Advice to Management

Payroll mgmt should do their jobs, which is to make sure my pay, deductions and accruals are all accurate! I shouldn't have to check behind anyone!!

Program mgrs should negotiate higher salaries based on expertise, experience, and education... And not a blanket starting salary based only on the position title! If you get $130k per contractor, you should be offering no less than $65k to each employee.

Overall, incentivize your employees better and they will be happier working with you. Better pay, better benefits/employee perks, more cohesive operation, more employee networking and socializing, and stop holding people's pay for more than a week!!! It's ridiculous and no other company does that!

"Master Electrician Tech II"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Good People to work with and fun to hang around consistent work

Cons

Company Policies are changed at the whim of the owner to what he wants at that time,

Advice to Management

Under stand the policies you make and the effect they will have. Understand Salary rules set forth by the Dept of labor. A .003 hr glitch in your accounting software should not cost someone a days pay.

9. "Construction Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at McNeal Professional Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work has been steady for the most part

Cons

bad upper management, questionable business practices

Advice to Management

run

10. "Low starting pay, nepotism, outdated practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Met some great colleagues that I still keep in touch with

Cons

Overworked and low pay; management does not bring in new hires that are experienced and skilled in their career at a market rate.

Advice to Management

Learn from professionals that you hire from the outside, don't micro-manage the smart people that you hire