McREL Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great introduction to McREL"

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Denver, CO

I have been working at McREL part-time

Pros

I'm thrilled with my first few weeks at McREL. The people are nice, the workplace is comfortable, and the benefits are the best I have seen in decades. Onboarding was efficient and I felt like part of the team right away.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

"Truly Horrible Leader, Horrible Culture and Trying to Get Out"

I have been working at McREL full-time

Pros

Believing that I am personally making a difference in my work

Cons

Oh so many- starting with terrible leadership, unethical behavior and unhealthy culture.
    Management team has convinced themselves that "change is hard" while driving the organization into the ground.

Advice to Management

The board needs to boot this CEO and the entire leadership team. CEO makes one bad choice after another and surrounds himself with people who don't challenge him to do the right thing. Look around -former and present employees are not just disgruntled, they are miserable and have lost faith. Asking so many of us to get on here and post false positive reviews is just sad. There is a cultural reason why no one wants to work here.

"Unhappy workplace"

I worked at McREL full-time

Pros

Colleagues were great. Offices are nice.

Cons

McREL treats its employees as easily dispensable. While I was there, I saw a lot of really good people leave. Long-time employees who were instrumental during better days were let go in the same manner as someone who was fired—escorted out the door like criminals. McREL has hired people and fired them within months with no warning; this is after said employee left an otherwise good high paying job and uprooted, relocated family to work for McREL.

For those who stayed, they were asked to take on senior-level responsibilities without appropriate adjustments in compensation or title. There are few opportunities for advancement. There is little money for professional development. In fact, the company has on occasion asked that you use personal/vacation days for professional development because they can’t afford to send employees otherwise.

HR sends out employee engagement surveys but results are so bad that they don’t share them back with employees. HR doesn’t care about employees. HR has ridiculed people for their dress as it was deemed “too trendy” for the office.

Leadership is terrible and doesn’t know how to lead people, let alone manage people, and build effective, high performing teams. Don’t work here. Pay isn’t even that great and it takes forever to get a raise. I got a higher paying job doing the same thing elsewhere, but with better work, office environment, and leaders.

Advice to Management

Do something about the employment engagement survey or else why administer them?
    Invest in your current staff--they are your greatest resource. Appreciate them. It's better to give staff small raises or (free) title change they deserve than having them feel under appreciated and find jobs elsewhere.

4. "Tough decisions aren't always popular"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at McREL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just won a major, 5-year contract. Strong focus on values. More cohesive, engaged staff. Still significant reserves.

Cons

Not sure if it's a downside, but there are some disgruntled former employees now competing (unsuccessfully) with the organization who are posting repeat reviews to vent and make the organization look bad. They need to get over it.

Advice to Management

Keep making the tough decisions and focus on rebuilding the culture.

"Poor Leadership"

I have been working at McREL full-time

Pros

You have an opportunity to work on behalf and for educators around the country that care about education and looking out for the best interest of students.

Cons

No leadership. Senior management has no skill. Most of their leadership skill is centered around who is and is not liked. They have reduced a once thriving, well respected educational research company into a disappointment.

Advice to Management

Revisit your core values. Try and model those or please seek other employment.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at McREL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, family focused, team oriented, & flexible.

Cons

Location is the biggest con for me.

7. "Leaner Meaner, More Focused"

I have been working at McREL full-time

Pros

Recent leadership changes and continued pruning of redundant and negative staffers has raised our morale, sharpened our performance, and helped us focus more clearly on our clients

Cons

It's taken a long time to weed out the dead weight, but we're getting there!

Advice to Management

Keep up the pressure - it brings out the best in your staff!

"One bad decision away from bankruptcy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at McREL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice (empty) office, good benefits package, solid brand reputation

Cons

Toxic culture of fear that plays to favorites and protects incompetency. Management team is insular and seems only concerned about protecting the inner circle. A cascade of poor business decisions have put the company in peril.

Advice to Management

McREL is probably too far gone at this point to return to the viable business it once was. The company is prime for an acquisition by a competitor wanting to grab market share and close the doors of the company. There is probably a 10% chance McREL will survive another year given the dire current circumstances. However, management may be able to recover if they were to get serious about elevating the best and brightest people who have leadership skills and experience to move the company forward, and terminate the current management team, who consist mostly of staff imported from competitor that went bankrupt. There are several high-level employees that are scheming to unseat the CEO and take over the executive leadership functions of the company.

"Heartbreaking"

I worked at McREL full-time

Pros

The benefits and my colleagues

Cons

All the negative reviews are true- the problem is at the top and a culture of how you look and not how you work- keep on trimming until there is nothing left and the leadership is looking for work and you will know how everyone else feels

Advice to Management

Ditto to another review they dont listen

"Disastrous company"

I have been working at McREL full-time

Pros

McREL still has some of their former reputation left in leadership and instruction. Not much, but some. Free coffee. Free parking. Everybody gets an office.

Cons

Where to start with how bad this company is to work for? Headquartered out of Denver, McREL used to be a highly respected player in education services and research. The “International” part of the title came from when they used to have an Australian office. That office, along with an ill-fated acquisition of another failing non-profit gave them offices in Charleston, WV and Nashville, TN. Charleston has been reduced to a few people and Nashville is closed. That leaves the only other satellite office in Honolulu, HI that has had so much turnover they now have to hire from the continental US.

So many people have left or been fired in the 3 remaining locations, that almost every other office in the place is empty. A year ago the new CEO & minions fired all the people that put them on the map to consolidate power. Around a year before that, they stopped hiring the best and brightest from around the country in favor of cheap local hires. The situation is sink or swim. Either get your own contracts or get fired. This has led to nasty competition among employees and almost no collegial atmosphere left. Hiring the average, local educators instead of high-talent people has led to a drastic loss in reputation, as well. Recently they got rid of their entire IT staff in favor of an outsourced help desk, so even just getting simple office work done takes much, much longer.

The heart of the problem is the CEO and his leadership team. The CEO isn't even an educator (one or two years teaching at a private international school). He writes plenty of articles and books about it, but look behind the curtain! It isn't even original research anymore, but pulling quotes from others to cobble together material that he doesn't even know how to implement first hand. The leadership team actually runs the place, and do so with iron fists. There are no second chances at McREL, and lately people have been let go that have done nothing wrong other than be too high on the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Congratulations! You took a company that was never a happy place to work, but was at least respected in the education community and ruined it! It has been changed into a generic, education non-profit that charges a lot of money for mediocre work delivered by even more mediocre people. No original research, a business model that is going 180 from what actually was successful before, and being really, really mean while doing it. The lifeboats have been launched and almost everyone worth anything is gone or leaving soon. I used to be proud to tell people I worked for McREL, but not anymore. It is an embarrassment.