Mckenna Ryan Designs Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"TOOT TOOT HELLO ATTENTION WORLD THIS IS THE BEST JOB IN ALL THE LAND"

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time

Pros

Let me list them

-Working side-by-side with an inspiring creative director
    -Working with supportive, motivated and positive colleagues
    -Working in a beautiful, light-filled lofted space in Portland, OR
    -Room for professional growth in the company as it expands
    -"Team" attitude--input on decisions no matter how small or large, is encouraged and valued
    -Weekly lunch meetings to stay connected with what everybody is doing
    -The occasional champagne celebration
    -Seeing Maddie the dog every day

Cons

I mean sometimes I get stuck behind a train on my way to or from work....There aren't really cons to working here.

"My dream job, working with extremely talented and dedicated artists doing what I love - quilting!"

Pros

Knowing my opinion is valued, being part of a creative team, travel, being challenged to expand my creative instincts, working with a high profile artist and allowed to use my own judgment in making creative decisions. I've worked with McKenna for over 8 years and have never seen her lose her temper and take it out on an employee like the ex-employees claim. They need to take responsibility for their own lack of work ethics.

Cons

The only con I have is I wish I lived closer to the home office in Portland but being able to work remotely has been a key factor in my personal success.

Advice to Management

Check resumes and references prior to hiring very carefully. It has been proven that the two previous emplyees that gave negative reviews obviously misrepresented themselves as to what they were capable of doing. We've always had an open door policy and their abuse of being trusted to get the jobs done without being micro managed proved they didn't know what they were doing and didn't ask for help. I personally witnessed these peoples disregard for procedures and the fact that they showed up late for training and hungover should have gotten them fired on the spot!

3. "A very nice place to work & play"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone has their own job clearly defined and the entire team works together when there's a big project. The 37 hour work-week is good, and the pay is equitable. The office manager is a delight to work for and she always provides clear direction and direct feedback.

Cons

None really - maybe more hours and more paid vacation :-)

Advice to Management

Advertise more to increase sales.

"Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time."

Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some beautiful work comes out of this company. If you are a fan of the fiber arts, then this is a haven for you. The work space is amazing too. The loft setting is in one of the best areas in Portland to work. The people in the building were amazing. I got to know many people from other businesses.

And, as always, it is really nice to talk to fans of the artwork across the globe. You can hear their excitement when a new product comes out.

Random pizza parties were pretty cool on the occasion.

Cons

There is a lot of yelling that goes on in that place. With wall to wall cement surrounding you, the sound carries and echos in your ears until you get home.

In art fields, people get frustrated a lot. Sometimes, people find it necessary to take that frustration and aggression out on those who are the easiest targets who are undeserving, via yelling. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us.

Overtime pay is not actually paid by the company. You will be asked to work "without pay" or volunteer your time when you are over 40 hours per week, which is a lot of the time.

There is a lot of hand holding with operations. With this being a newly relocated company, with little to no resources to learn from, it was a lot of baby steps to get the company back on it's feet in the new home.

Advice to Management

Calm down. There is no need to yell. Take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture.

"Whew. What a rollercoaster. I would have picked a different ride."

Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great view, nice art, and being able to have some friends up on the loft for lunch and occasional help was great. The interview consists of a champagne toast, which was kind of special. I was able to travel a bit, though it was stressful. I loved taking pictures with great views.

Cons

...about that champagne toast...you assume it will all be beautiful like that moment, but then all of a sudden, a simple moment of stress will escalate into WWIII, and you don't know if you should dodge bullets, or put yourself on the front line and fight back. I'm a fighter, and I didn't take that crap. I did see a few office items thrown around by the boss toward another though. And then, as that person runs out of the office in tears, everything turns calm for a moment. But hold on, cause its not over...you are just a misstep away from another roller coaster ride of emotional warfare. Every. Single. Day. After the initial excitement of the "new job" is over, you are taken on a ride 4 of 5 days a week. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out of there and go back to a more healthy environment.

Advice to Management

You are going to get into a lot of trouble if you keep throwing things at your employees. Had you thrown something at me, there would have been problems. Enough with the rollercoaster, the yelling, the swearing, and the hiring pretense with the champagne. You create too high of expectations and a false sense of prestige in doing so. Lead your employees instead of terrorize them.

"What a miserable place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like getting free lunches sometimes. That is when the place actually feels normal for a change.

The free scrap material is fun when its up for grabs.

I get to see the creative process from birth to mass production.

Cons

Boss is unprofessional She likes to yell. A lot.

For the amount of work you do, you don't get a lot of pay for it. You are told to do things that are completely above your pay grade and are not properly trained or seasoned in.

Every time you make the smallest mistake, you are chastised in front of everyone.

There are so many people who work remotely and lack proper communication skills. There is a lot of grandiose conversations thrown back and forth, but no productive work gets done on a consistent level. When the deadline gets closer, all of a sudden everyone who works off site is suddenly the star of the show when they have been otherwise silent.

People like to take credit for work that is done by you. Some of the design work was done by me, but I'll never get credit for it.

Did I mention that the boss likes to yell a lot?

Advice to Management

Treat us nicely. You will have happy employees if the main focus is concentrated on the art, not people's personal business.

"The Sound of Banshee Screaming"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful designs, great vendors, customer fan base stories, free lunches sometimes

When we are left alone to do our jobs well, the place actually feels like a normal atmosphere.

Cons

I will never be able to get the sound of the Banshee-like screams out of my head. It was the shrillest, most annoying sound I have ever heard. You drop a pencil, SCREAM!!! The mailman doesn't get here on time, SCREAM!!! The imbecile remote workers from home screw yet another thing up, SCREAM!!!!

And speaking of the remote workers, it is so hard to do my local job, when there is an utter lack of communication between those who work in Montana and the ones who work here. Perhaps education and a bit more training in the form of communication and technology would help them along. When they don't do their job right, the full force of the Banshee screams are let out on us for their constant mistakes. When they come to Portland to work, everything is calm as a cucumber, the remote workers get so much praise, and the screams subside... until the second they leave.

Day in, day out. I couldn't take it anymore.

Advice to Management

Get some help with that anger problem. Screaming at your employees in such a violent manner every single day is going to be your demise.