Mckenna Ryan Designs Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 25, 2016

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Inspired me to move on...fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is a great place surrounded by a lot of hot locales.

The showroom is lovely to look at and is set up beautifully.

Loads of free scrap fabric.

Free lunches sometimes.

Cons

There is a lot of them. Never have I been so miserable at a job. The prestige of working for an artist has kept me there as long as I have. As soon as I find new employment, I will resign.

Aside from getting yelled at on an hourly basis, I am appalled at how the boss treats fans and customers. With possibly the biggest ego I've ever seen, customers are made to feel inferior. It makes me very uncomfortable.

And speaking of uncomfortable, there is a lot of talk in the office about sex. Just the bosses sex life constantly. It's disgusting to imagine but the details are vivid. Employees don't need to hear this.

One of the big cons is the people who work remotely in Montana and elsewhere. I have never worked under such poorly trained circumstances. The work ethics are lacking, communication is nonexistent, and they can't efficiently get work done timely when they make their own schedules and come and go as they please. The locall workers repeatedly get yelled at for their constant mistakes.

The constant yelling is the end of it for me though. I cant work for a boss who treats her employees with such disrespect and aggression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the remote workers. There is so much more you could do with your business if they were not in the picture. You would save soooo much money by hiring locally and it would cut the tensions that cause a lot of the misfortunes that have been happening over the last few years. They are unprofessional, untrained, and cost way more than they are worth.

Stop yelling at everyone. We are all adults and should come into work and be professional.

Pay your local employees more. They do so much more than remote workers, but make so much less.

"The Sound of Banshee Screaming"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful designs, great vendors, customer fan base stories, free lunches sometimes

When we are left alone to do our jobs well, the place actually feels like a normal atmosphere.

Cons

I will never be able to get the sound of the Banshee-like screams out of my head. It was the shrillest, most annoying sound I have ever heard. You drop a pencil, SCREAM!!! The mailman doesn't get here on time, SCREAM!!! The imbecile remote workers from home screw yet another thing up, SCREAM!!!!

And speaking of the remote workers, it is so hard to do my local job, when there is an utter lack of communication between those who work in Montana and the ones who work here. Perhaps education and a bit more training in the form of communication and technology would help them along. When they don't do their job right, the full force of the Banshee screams are let out on us for their constant mistakes. When they come to Portland to work, everything is calm as a cucumber, the remote workers get so much praise, and the screams subside... until the second they leave.

Day in, day out. I couldn't take it anymore.

Advice to Management

Get some help with that anger problem. Screaming at your employees in such a violent manner every single day is going to be your demise.

"Strap on your seat belt"

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time

Pros

Creative, fast paced and dynamic environment. McKenna is driven and marches to the beat of a drum that often seems to eclipse common sense. She has a good sense of the quilting market place.

Cons

McKenna Ryan’s behaviors appear irreconcilable, until you understand that she has been diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder). A quick Google of BPD will help make sense of other employee observations. BPD means she is often not in control of herself. Individuals with BPD are married first and foremost to their disease. Meaning, don’t take it personally.

Advice to Management

Management would benefit by understanding that the only method proven successful with BPD is Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). The tools provided within CBT would greatly benefit employees, management and the Company work more cohesively.

"Crazy, and not in a good way."

Former Employee - Customer Service/Floater in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Floater in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful view of downtown. Lovely studio with an industrial look. Fruit market nearby.

The delivered lunches were pretty cool.

The art is beautiful.

Some of your co-workers are nice

Cons

Where do I start? How about the screaming? I have never heard someone throw so many tantrums. Not even a child. One minute you are happily doing your job, then here comes the explosive boss shrieking about something that has nothing to do with you, but you know you are going to get reprimanded for it.

There are a few people who work remotely from other states. From the comforts of their own home they do their jobs poorly and the workers at the home base get the brunt of the onslaught of screams. These remote workers lack the tools needed for proper communications between co-workers. When a mistake is made, accountability needs to be owned. It would have gone a lot smoother if people were properly trained and taught the skills of teamwork and respect. They need to also keep in mind, that when they have their conference calls in the studio on speaker phone, everyone within 15 feet of the door, can hear you putting down other workers in the office. Every. Single. Time. Teams are supposed to help empower each other, not throw each other down.

The office drama was extremely unprofessional. Too many times, I had to excuse myself from a conversation with the boss in a group because I didn't want to talk about her sex life. I don't know why this came up so much. And discussing other people's misfortunes and lifestyles was terrible. It is none of anyone's business but happened all too often.

I don't like to drink much, but there was always drinking going on in here. Sometimes work didn't get done. There is a champagne bar downstairs, and often they would have a few bottles at work. The boss bought them to share. Then she screamed at us the next day for not getting any work done and for not stopping her from buying the bottles.

When it is time for the one or two times in the year for travel, hold on to your stomach. Be as silent as possible as to not draw attention to yourself. I was nervous to come to work for a week! I tucked my head, did my job, and prayed I didn't make a mistake. Boxes will be kicked, papers will fly through the air, and these violent shaking screaming tantrums can be seen through the glass doors of the next room.

The studio was set up beautifully to have a lovely showroom for fans to come and see the work. We worked HARD on setting it up. It was thankless hard work. I was screamed at so many times because of the placement of some displays. I got yelled at even harder when for months, barely anybody showed up to view the showroom. Proper steps to promote needed to be taken, but my advice went unheard and the company suffered. It was embarrassing.

Keep track of your own ideas. Too many times, your ideas and thoughts will be stolen from others and they will receive the credit for it. The remote workers are notorious for it.

The pay was a joke. You will never get paid what you are worth. My degree in art and experience got me an unliveable wage.

Advice to Management

The screaming needs to stop. You can't treat people this way. And for the managers under the boss, to stand by idle and not say anything is beyond me. Too many excuses are made and not enough proactive actions are taken to make this a happy work environment.

"My dream job, working with extremely talented and dedicated artists doing what I love - quilting!"

Pros

Knowing my opinion is valued, being part of a creative team, travel, being challenged to expand my creative instincts, working with a high profile artist and allowed to use my own judgment in making creative decisions. I've worked with McKenna for over 8 years and have never seen her lose her temper and take it out on an employee like the ex-employees claim. They need to take responsibility for their own lack of work ethics.

Cons

The only con I have is I wish I lived closer to the home office in Portland but being able to work remotely has been a key factor in my personal success.

Advice to Management

Check resumes and references prior to hiring very carefully. It has been proven that the two previous emplyees that gave negative reviews obviously misrepresented themselves as to what they were capable of doing. We've always had an open door policy and their abuse of being trusted to get the jobs done without being micro managed proved they didn't know what they were doing and didn't ask for help. I personally witnessed these peoples disregard for procedures and the fact that they showed up late for training and hungover should have gotten them fired on the spot!

"What a miserable place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like getting free lunches sometimes. That is when the place actually feels normal for a change.

The free scrap material is fun when its up for grabs.

I get to see the creative process from birth to mass production.

Cons

Boss is unprofessional She likes to yell. A lot.

For the amount of work you do, you don't get a lot of pay for it. You are told to do things that are completely above your pay grade and are not properly trained or seasoned in.

Every time you make the smallest mistake, you are chastised in front of everyone.

There are so many people who work remotely and lack proper communication skills. There is a lot of grandiose conversations thrown back and forth, but no productive work gets done on a consistent level. When the deadline gets closer, all of a sudden everyone who works off site is suddenly the star of the show when they have been otherwise silent.

People like to take credit for work that is done by you. Some of the design work was done by me, but I'll never get credit for it.

Did I mention that the boss likes to yell a lot?

Advice to Management

Treat us nicely. You will have happy employees if the main focus is concentrated on the art, not people's personal business.

"Probably the Worst Employer I've Ever Worked For"

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The coffee shop downstairs from the office is great.

Cons

-Gross mismanagement of company funds.
    -No work-life balance whatsoever (though you'll often be told about all the great benefits you'll eventually get... but never will).
    -Easily avoidable faults in the company are blamed on "being a small business." No, they're just too cheap to adequately compensate their employees for the hell they're puting them through --- or even give them fair compensation based on the average salary for their position in the job market.
    -It is rare for a decision to actually stand. Instead, you'll go back and forth in group discussions considering every last minute possibility related to the decision until it's not even relevant or timely anymore. This is what they call "teamwork" and "group discussions."
    -Be wary of those champagne toasts. When the boss has too much to drink, she'll say some really inappropriate things. But, as she discusses her sex life with the team when sober anyways, this probably won't phase you after a while.
    -The boss tends to have mental breakdowns or physical tantrums from time to time.

Advice to Management

Based on how many employees you drive away from the company, please take a hint. Many of us want to think you're a good person with good intentions at heart, but you do everything in your power to prove us wrong.

"Whew. What a rollercoaster. I would have picked a different ride."

Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great view, nice art, and being able to have some friends up on the loft for lunch and occasional help was great. The interview consists of a champagne toast, which was kind of special. I was able to travel a bit, though it was stressful. I loved taking pictures with great views.

Cons

...about that champagne toast...you assume it will all be beautiful like that moment, but then all of a sudden, a simple moment of stress will escalate into WWIII, and you don't know if you should dodge bullets, or put yourself on the front line and fight back. I'm a fighter, and I didn't take that crap. I did see a few office items thrown around by the boss toward another though. And then, as that person runs out of the office in tears, everything turns calm for a moment. But hold on, cause its not over...you are just a misstep away from another roller coaster ride of emotional warfare. Every. Single. Day. After the initial excitement of the "new job" is over, you are taken on a ride 4 of 5 days a week. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out of there and go back to a more healthy environment.

Advice to Management

You are going to get into a lot of trouble if you keep throwing things at your employees. Had you thrown something at me, there would have been problems. Enough with the rollercoaster, the yelling, the swearing, and the hiring pretense with the champagne. You create too high of expectations and a false sense of prestige in doing so. Lead your employees instead of terrorize them.

"TOOT TOOT HELLO ATTENTION WORLD THIS IS THE BEST JOB IN ALL THE LAND"

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time

Pros

Let me list them

-Working side-by-side with an inspiring creative director
    -Working with supportive, motivated and positive colleagues
    -Working in a beautiful, light-filled lofted space in Portland, OR
    -Room for professional growth in the company as it expands
    -"Team" attitude--input on decisions no matter how small or large, is encouraged and valued
    -Weekly lunch meetings to stay connected with what everybody is doing
    -The occasional champagne celebration
    -Seeing Maddie the dog every day

Cons

I mean sometimes I get stuck behind a train on my way to or from work....There aren't really cons to working here.

"Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time."

Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some beautiful work comes out of this company. If you are a fan of the fiber arts, then this is a haven for you. The work space is amazing too. The loft setting is in one of the best areas in Portland to work. The people in the building were amazing. I got to know many people from other businesses.

And, as always, it is really nice to talk to fans of the artwork across the globe. You can hear their excitement when a new product comes out.

Random pizza parties were pretty cool on the occasion.

Cons

There is a lot of yelling that goes on in that place. With wall to wall cement surrounding you, the sound carries and echos in your ears until you get home.

In art fields, people get frustrated a lot. Sometimes, people find it necessary to take that frustration and aggression out on those who are the easiest targets who are undeserving, via yelling. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us.

Overtime pay is not actually paid by the company. You will be asked to work "without pay" or volunteer your time when you are over 40 hours per week, which is a lot of the time.

There is a lot of hand holding with operations. With this being a newly relocated company, with little to no resources to learn from, it was a lot of baby steps to get the company back on it's feet in the new home.

Advice to Management

Calm down. There is no need to yell. Take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture.