MeadWestvaco Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
D. Michael Wilson
1 Rating

Pros
  • Management very supportive of career goals and respect home and work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and retirement package (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There weren't many cons besides the fact they layed off employees (in 3 reviews)

• No one is willing to comment on that part (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Aerator/Finishing and Packing in Winchester, KY
    Former Employee - Aerator/Finishing and Packing in Winchester, KY

I worked at MeadWestvaco (More than a year)

Pros

Best people I ever worked with, great bosses and working environment. A lot of chances for moving up in company.

Cons

Twelve hour shifts, and working 7 twelve hour days are hard. A lot of meetings and they need to keep up with pay scale of surrounding companies.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending so much on a fall picnic, or ordering food all the time put that money towards employees paychecks.

2. "Maint eng"

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Chicago, IL

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close too home good

Cons

Not enough time off 70 her a week for 28 years

Advice to Management

Times are hard but the strong get up and do what they need too do

3. "Forester"

Former Employee - Forester in Rupert, WV
    Former Employee - Forester in Rupert, WV

Pros

Management very supportive of career goals and respect home and work life balance. Co workers respectful and always willing to assist. Family type atmosphere. Great place to work and no one leaves willingly.

Cons

Not much room for advancement since no one wants to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Too bad you sold off forest land in the past.

5. "MeadWestvaco - Sourcing Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to prove your worth & gain experience

Cons

Lots of changes as mergers and spin offs take place

6. "Global Technical Lead"

Current Employee - Global Technical Lead in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Global Technical Lead in Charleston, SC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people at this company.

Cons

Technical track is very linear.

"Working at MWV"

Current Employee - Corporate Engineering Accountant/Administrative Coordinator in Mechanicsville, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Company to work for. Professional Atmosphere. A place where we get things done without gossip, drama and playing. Yet a very friendly place. People look at each other and greet others walking by and in the elevator.

Cons

As a New Employee coming from outside the Company, training was not our strong point. Having a who's who, what systems we use, how to get around the systems would have been helpful. HR has since implemented an orientation for new employees.

"MWV"

Current Employee - Foreign/Domestic Payment Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Foreign/Domestic Payment Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MWV corporate headquarters is a great place to work with an on-site gym, located in beautiful downtown Richmond, VA. Work/life balance is encouraged and work schedules are encouraged to help facilitate this balance.

Cons

Location does not afford convenience for lunchtime errands or restaurants. Options are to pack lunch or purchase from the rather costly on-site cafeteria.

9. "Covington, VA, Carbon Plant - Specialty Chemicals Division"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time

Pros

Team oriented atmosphere with many opportunities to develop. The work is satisfying because you can see the result of your hard work almost immediately.

Covington, VA, is a beautiful location that offers many outdoor activities. There is a variety of places to live in a 30-40 mile radius from the plant from Lewisburg, WV; Lexington, VA; and Roanoke, VA.

Cons

45 min drive to work, but that's because I chose not to live in Covington.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage ideas from employees at all levels and invest in the ideas that will make a difference in safety, task effectiveness and efficiency (lean concepts), quality, and throughput.

10. "Great Intern Experience"

Current Intern - Communications Intern in Covington, VA
    Current Intern - Communications Intern in Covington, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is fairly relaxed and I was able to get my job done. When there was something needed to be done in a timely manner or hurried, then things could get a bit hectic (just like any other company). The people that work here were fun to be around and I believe it positively increased my experience being with the company.
    For co-ops/interns, it is such great pay and free housing. I know fellow co-workers and previous co-ops/interns have helped the co-ops tremendously with their own experiences tremendously.

Cons

Sometimes felt like I needed to be a mind reader in order to get some things done. If something isn't explained, I may not understand how to do exactly what is needed of me. However, I asked for help and it was given to me, even if it wasn't right away.

11. "Great First Company"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time

Pros

I could not have asked for a better experience with my first job out of college. I am a female engineer working at one of MWV's chemical plants. From day one, I was given a large (but reasonable) amount of responsibility. My managers have been great at assigning me to projects that will help me develop as an engineer and figure out what direction I want my career to take. All of my experiences with upper management have been nothing but positive and I truly feel that the company is well prepared for the future in terms of vision and resources. I have held two different positions since starting and have had 2 different managers and teams. The strongest part of MWV, in my opinion, is the people that I work with. This company has so many brilliant and diverse minds in a family environment. My coworkers are supportive and collaborative, not competitive. I am not treated any differently because I am a female, which was one of my main concerns coming out of college. There are many fresh, young faces at MWV, but there are also numerous people who have spent their entire careers with the company. It spoke volumes to me when looking for jobs that this is a company that retains their employees because they truly love what they do and value the culture of MWV.

Cons

The biggest problem we have is that there are so many ideas for new products and improvements, but not enough capital funding for major projects. However, there are always a few big projects going on and the company is investing as much as possible to grow our business. The fact that we have so many ideas for growing the company is exciting.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire strong employees.