MeadWestvaco Reviews | Glassdoor

MeadWestvaco Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Management very supportive of career goals and respect home and work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and retirement package (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There weren't many cons besides the fact they layed off employees (in 3 reviews)

• No one is willing to comment on that part (in 3 reviews)

"Autocratic"

Former Employee - Upper Management in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Stamford, CT

I worked at MeadWestvaco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has your typical good benefit package for a large S&P 500 company

Cons

Autocratic management culture. If you were not original Westvaco you were going to have a hard time advancing

Advice to Management

Intergrate managment more

2. "Great First Company"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time

Pros

I could not have asked for a better experience with my first job out of college. I am a female engineer working at one of MWV's chemical plants. From day one, I was given a large (but reasonable) amount of responsibility. My managers have been great at assigning me to projects that will help me develop as an engineer and figure out what direction I want my career to take. All of my experiences with upper management have been nothing but positive and I truly feel that the company is well prepared for the future in terms of vision and resources. I have held two different positions since starting and have had 2 different managers and teams. The strongest part of MWV, in my opinion, is the people that I work with. This company has so many brilliant and diverse minds in a family environment. My coworkers are supportive and collaborative, not competitive. I am not treated any differently because I am a female, which was one of my main concerns coming out of college. There are many fresh, young faces at MWV, but there are also numerous people who have spent their entire careers with the company. It spoke volumes to me when looking for jobs that this is a company that retains their employees because they truly love what they do and value the culture of MWV.

Cons

The biggest problem we have is that there are so many ideas for new products and improvements, but not enough capital funding for major projects. However, there are always a few big projects going on and the company is investing as much as possible to grow our business. The fact that we have so many ideas for growing the company is exciting.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire strong employees.

"Good starting job, but..."

Former Employee - R&D Researcher in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - R&D Researcher in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, good salary, beautiful labs for R&D
    This was a starting job for me, so at the time I had nothing to compare it to. What was good about it was the compensation (good, not great), the experience, and the people I worked with. Is paperboard sexy and fun? No, but it provides jobs. If you work in Richmond the facilities are awesome; gym, cafeteria, and state of the art labs for R&D.

Cons

Office culture, time-off policies
    What was not so great was the glaring fact that this is a public company; the perception of upper management is that they value stock price far greater than employees. The culture survey really illuminated that (it wasn't good). It's an old, conservative company run by old men (don't be surprised around November when they ask everyone to vote "with the company's interests in mind"). The culture is really the worst thing; talk to the employees who have been there 20+ years and you'll understand.
    The vacation policy is lousy; 2 weeks until you're there 5 years. Then oh boy an extra 5 days!
    What really irritated me though was getting laid off after years of stellar performance. And even worse were friends getting laid off that had put in over 10 years with the company! Cool, get rid of the guy who has had solid performance and is 60 years old. What was the need for layoffs after hiring on a large amount of people? Stock price. The most important thing for the leaders of the company. Don't EVER think they will value their employees more than that.

Advice to Management

Pick a path and stop doing the big hirings followed by big layoffs. Try to value employees and not just shareholders. And stop being so short-sighted with R&D; it's not an instant pay-off investment.

"A vision for the future"

Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Executive leadership wants to push the company past commodity paperboard sales, willing to take calculated risks in key sectors and see a vision of what the company could become

Cons

All roads lead back to converting operations and paperboard sales. Aspirational innovation projects get stuck in stage-gate.

Advice to Management

Take more calculated risk on long-term innovation projects

"With the company 6+ years"

Current Employee - Finance in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Finance in Richmond, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, generally hard working and good people in the trenches

Cons

Massive matrix organization with multiple people managing everything causes there to be to many layers and much confusion. Even though B2B somehow think we need massive (and I mean massive) marketing and innovation groups. People think if you are not in office at 8 on dot and stay until 5:30 you are not working even in the day of constant email access. A bit old school and yes there is certainly the "old white male" syndrome of almost all senior management has been there for decades and unwilling to change.

Advice to Management

Simplify. Drive accountability and quit acting like you are a consumer brand company

"suffers from bad management and growth stagnation"

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager, Marketing in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice new headquarters and modern offices

Cons

bad management and continuous downsizing

8. "Typical Wall Street led corporation"

Former Employee - Marketing in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good ethics. Nice perks. One of few companies that offers pension and 401K. Above average match

Cons

Place people in roles that they don't have any experience in. Bring outsiders in without any experience.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees they're the reason you have a job

"Was a good company at one time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There were some very talented and committed people in the past who were a joy to work with. Benefits were very good -- healthcare, 401k match, etc. Compensation very competitive. Made good but slow progress from a business model and strategy perspective over about a 5 year period. There are (or were) a few very good leaders.

Cons

The overall culture is quite bad, and it is all due to very poor and incompetent leadership, politics and cronyism. There is no trust whatsoever. Based on the extensive layoffs of some very talented people, keeping some very untalented people, and putting others into roles they know nothing about, it appears the rumors of an impending sale are true. All the good work to transform the organization has been completely eroded.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway. The few remaining good people are going to jump ship, or perhaps do well with the acquiring company. One can only hope that a certain few remaining "leaders" will finally get what's coming to them.

10. "Very good company to start a career"

Former Employee - Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity for growth. Great people to work with in a wonderful area of the city. Richmond is a great city to live and work in.

Cons

Work-life balance can become a problem. Poor middle management and a decent amount of office politics.

Advice to Management

Retain talent

11. "Good Home"

Former Employee - Account Administrator in Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Account Administrator in Kettering, OH

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Open office culture, expectations clearly set and employees are empowered to act accordingly to help company meet short, mid and long term objectives. Expectations communicated on consistent basis.

Cons

Rare breakdowns in internal communications between departments. Training opportunities on skills set development for upward movement in the company difficult to navigate.

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen internal communication infrastructure, improve transparency around objectives and continue to provide robust external/internal learning/growth opportunities at all levels.