Mechdyne Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Chris Clover

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great team culture and family atmosphere"

I have been working at Mechdyne full-time

Pros

Great travel opportunities
    Excellent vacation package
    Awesome team atmosphere

Cons

Don't drink our own koolaid at times
    Financially conservative

"“Run Away If Applying for Houston Jobs”"

I worked at Mechdyne full-time

Pros

At least the daily misery is consistent.

Cons

Exxon and BP are the only customers in Houston and when these contracts end, you’re gone too. Get a real job at a better AV company. In the last 3+ years they hired about 45 people for Exxon and about 22 are still there. A 50% turnover rate.
    Management wants people that just follow processes. Using your mind or being creative is not tolerated. They are always right, you are always wrong. When you mess up, you are guilty and your side of the story does not matter. None in management are trained or skilled to manage people. You just follow the rules, get no coaching and no praise for exceptional work.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside EVP to run the service business if you ever want to grow. Promoting bad managers with high turnover is not tolerated in today’s workforce.

"Avoid at all Cost! Service Engineer at Exxon/BP"

I worked at Mechdyne full-time

Pros

Easy Job
    Not challenging at all

Cons

Overtime is expected and it affect your end of year review and bonus.
    Management quick to point fingers and won't apologize even when proven wrong.
    Management plays favorites.
    1 on 1 only serve to gather information about you to make it easier to fire you or give you a bad review and lower your bonus.
    Voxer is the worst walkie talkie app but they choose to use it.
    They tell you lies to hire you. Promise of travel but they won't ever offer it.
    They'll move you around to fire you.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people through the hiring process.
    Don't be quick to point fingers when you don't have all the information.

"Small company with a lot of growth possibility"

Pros

Good Benefit
    401k
    Multiple growth opportunity - all new open roles are announced internally so anyone can interview for them and follow there career path

Cons

Working as a contractor for different companies. Job depends on if Mechdyne contract is ongoing with the company they contract

Advice to Management

I am fairly new with Mechdyne so do not have any issues with the management

5. "Decent place to work with room for improvement"

I have been working at Mechdyne full-time

Pros

Great sales pitch and for the most part good people to work with

Cons

Some strong personalities that can be difficult to work with

"Eng."

I worked at Mechdyne full-time

Pros

None. It's sad but true.

Cons

There are no career opportunities. All opportunities are sucked by lady sith and her minions in VB office.

Compensations are just for managers. You'll be given a 10 year old laptop to make eggs with. Its a business run by the mob, at least in the VB office. Even Christmas presents are pre-arranged. Not kidding.

Lots of work, no life. Everything is to be delivered in a month. Quality is non-existing. You are just a mean to an end.

Senior Management - there was no "senior" or "management" in it.

Culture and values - There are none. Complete mistreatment of workers by "lil-mama" and their minions. Whatever you do, do not land under VB office management.

"Not bad starter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshalltown, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshalltown, IA

Pros

Not a bad job for starting out in your career. Travel us a bonus. Some managers are very good as well.

Cons

Pay is a bit low compared to other companies, raise that and you will get better employees applying and current will be more motivated. Also extremely long hours for no overtime for some employees is demeaning.

"Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mechdyne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a full time employee who has been employed for a number of years I can say that working here has refreshed my body and mind. As a company that has experienced rapid growth over the past years I have come to the belief this is one of the better AV/IT companies to work for. Yes, they are demanding, but on the other hand the rewards greatly outweigh what other other companies lack. I have nothing but positive experiences working here.

Cons

Might want to consider having employees be given actual sick days instead of having to use their vacation days, etc.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Global Sales & Relationship Manager in Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Global Sales & Relationship Manager in Johnston, IA

I worked at Mechdyne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great involvement of the leadership group in decision making. Work internationally on customized solutions with large companies, universities, etc. See the world with your job.

Cons

Lots of travel. Bottteneck in decision making at times.

"An Honest Review"

I have been working at Mechdyne full-time

Pros

I'm currently working onsite at a large oil company in Houston alongside 30+ other Mechdyne employees. I have worked at several other companies before I worked for Mechdyne in my current position. Compared to the other places I've worked, Mechdyne is a breath of fresh air. Other companies I've been at have had cultures that included backstabbing coworkers and overbearing bosses where if you said the wrong thing you could be canned for it. This is the complete opposite at Mechdyne, I feel that this company genuinely cares about its employees and we are encouraged to speak with our managers if we have issues that we need to discuss. My coworkers are really great for the most part and there is a real sense of being a part of a team here.

Despite what other reviewers have said here on this website, there is a very strong culture in place at Mechdyne. I think the problem with some of these other people are that they are unhappy because they don't fit the culture but they expect to change things to meet their particular desired viewpoint of what this culture should look like. There are also others that have very little real world experience and don't know a good thing when they see it. Advice to all these folks: if you're that unhappy with Mechdyne then you should probably go work somewhere else.

Something else to add here - I was at the Holiday Party the other night and the Global Service Department Manager did not tell anyone to go write positive reviews on this website. Whoever wrote that is making things up which pretty much sums up the character of said individual.

Cons

While the idea of a "career ladder" is great, in actuality it is a pretty big mess. At a certain point one begins to feel as though they are jumping through hoops with little reasoning behind doing the work. Additionally there are time requirements that could potentially hold one back from advancing until they've met said requirements.

Another con is that part of the company core values is the idea of "expect a lot". This can mean a variety of things including working long hours under difficult situations and being asked to do more work than what can actually be done in a given amount of time.

Advice to Management

Work on fixing the career ladder as it needs an overhaul badly. Don't listen to the negative reviews that are being posted here as they're not representative of the majority of how people feel about the company.