Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great organization to work for"

Current Employee - Paramedic NREMT Certified in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Paramedic NREMT Certified in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to get involved with multiple aspects of the company when it comes to making changes. Supervisors are eager to help and answer questions. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Attendance policy needs revamped for those that continuously miss work just to make it up with an attendance shift. This causes hardship on those that are working a regular schedule.

Advice to Management

Review point system and make it better for those that have good attendance. Incentives for those that are working already when incentive shifts are offered. Double points for those that miss on weekends with the exception of a doctor's note. (Summer is coming soon, attendance becomes more of a problem in the warm months.)

"A "Stepping Stone" Agency"

Current Employee - Paramedic

Pros

Medic is a busy system. A paramedic will get a lot of experience interacting with a diverse patient population. Additionally, the agency has again begun providing interested EMTs with the schedule and resources necessary to complete a paramedic program. An agency-run education department ensures that field providers have plenty of CE opportunity, which is all paid for. The benefits (pension requiring 5 year vesting and health insurance specifically) are nice. The protocols don't require much contact with a physician, so make sure you are a good clinician, or you will end up in the medical director's office very quickly.

Cons

I call this a "stepping stone" agency because it is place that looks good on a resume, but not a place known for retaining employees. They are comfortable with this, because the longer you stay employed here, the more expensive you are for them. Do not expect any of the senior leadership to hear your frustrations or do anything to address them, it's part of the business model. Grin and bear it, or move along. Additionally, providers face pressure from senior leadership to move faster and to ingratiate themselves with any patient, regardless of the dynamics of the scene. Much of this comes in the form of a supervisor "arm-chair quarterbacking" a situation for which they were never present. Certainly there are supervisors who do not do this, but the agency is slowly becoming a "the customer is always right" kind of place. Therein lies the problem; we no longer treat patients, we serve customers. This agency provides the majority of the interfacility transports and transports from hospital to home. Due to staffing issues, it is not infrequent that the system has no available ALS ambulances to take 911 calls because we are busy trying to honor our contract with area hospitals. Honestly, if I didn't have so many other commitments here I would have left a long time ago. There are plenty of other places that offer the same urban EMS experience without the problems I have listed above.

Advice to Management

You have a morale problem within essential staff ranks, and it seems to be correlated with a loss of decent employees. That needs to be addressed.

3. "EMT"

I worked at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Bad pay for hard work

4. "Paramedic"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and available resources. Busy system.

Cons

Low staffing levels, too busy

"Paramedic"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and gain experience. Room for growth. Up to date training and Protocols.

Cons

Large agency with to much going on behind the scenes sometimes.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep your field employees happy and they will continue to grow.

"Lack of communication"

Current Employee - Telecommunicator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Telecommunicator in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good equipment, excellent potential to be a model EMS system. They are concerned with patient care and patient satisfaction. Very diverse workforce.

Cons

Lack of communication, management not representative of the diversity of the community. Everything is secret until it’s presented to employees as starting tomorrow.

Advice to Management

Be present. Listen to your employees. Not just the favorites, ALL your employees.

"Great Busy Urban Agency with Excellent opportunities for career advancement!"

Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief/Paramedic Preceptor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief/Paramedic Preceptor in Charlotte, NC

Pros

*Great Benefits Package
    *State Retirement
    *Excellent Involved Medical Director
    *Great Protocols
    *State of the art equipment
    *Excellent New Ambulances with new equipment
    *Amazing Co-Workers
    *Company invested in research and always finding ways to be better
    *Paid in-house training
    *Great Urban City setting
    *Variety of Shifts
    *Multiple overtime shifts available

Cons

*Can be busy at times but it is a busy urban system
    *Hard to know all employees due to having so many shifts and so many employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work! Thank you for having my needs in your thoughts.

"Overall, not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Benefit time, pension, quarterly bonus potential, annual review (raises). Most days I enjoy my job. Like I said, overall not a bad place to work. There are office politics, but that's everywhere

Cons

There is no room for advancement. If you say the wrong thing there is a target on your back. A lot of time and money is spent on testing things. Lots of talk, very little action.

Advice to Management

Don't bother asking things in surveys or other time wasting methods if you aren't going to listen.

"Terrible place to work."

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

You will get a lot of experience very quickly. One year at Medic is like five or more in other system.

Cons

You get all that experience because you are very busy your entire shift. The favorites get the slower posts while the rest rotate through the busy ones.

The overall management is horrible. They only promote the people they like or to fill quotas. It has nothing to do with skills or knowledge. When you see the promotion list, you basically think, 'that is the last person I want on my scene, let alone manage it'. They don't care about their people or their true welfare. They only look at their bottom line and performance.

Their awards/honors system is completely biase. Again, it's who you know, not what you know.

Accountability - there is non for the favorites. The rest are held accountable for everything.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good old boy system.

"Looks good on the outside"

Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great equipment, great co-workers, awesome protocols

Cons

Agency management has forgot that employees are the #1 asset. You'll have to beg patients to email that you did a "great job" just to get a 2% raise. Not enough trucks for the call volume.

Advice to Management

Stop attempting to put a band aid on the internal bleeding. Take care of your employees. Compensate them for the work they do.