Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Busy Urban Agency with Excellent opportunities for career advancement!"

Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief/Paramedic Preceptor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief/Paramedic Preceptor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Great Benefits Package
    *State Retirement
    *Excellent Involved Medical Director
    *Great Protocols
    *State of the art equipment
    *Excellent New Ambulances with new equipment
    *Amazing Co-Workers
    *Company invested in research and always finding ways to be better
    *Paid in-house training
    *Great Urban City setting
    *Variety of Shifts
    *Multiple overtime shifts available

Cons

*Can be busy at times but it is a busy urban system
    *Hard to know all employees due to having so many shifts and so many employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work! Thank you for having my needs in your thoughts.

2. "Paramedic"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and gain experience. Room for growth. Up to date training and Protocols.

Cons

Large agency with to much going on behind the scenes sometimes.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep your field employees happy and they will continue to grow.

3. "Lack of communication"

Current Employee - Telecommunicator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Telecommunicator in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good equipment, excellent potential to be a model EMS system. They are concerned with patient care and patient satisfaction. Very diverse workforce.

Cons

Lack of communication, management not representative of the diversity of the community. Everything is secret until it’s presented to employees as starting tomorrow.

Advice to Management

Be present. Listen to your employees. Not just the favorites, ALL your employees.

"Overall, not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit time, pension, quarterly bonus potential, annual review (raises). Most days I enjoy my job. Like I said, overall not a bad place to work. There are office politics, but that's everywhere

Cons

There is no room for advancement. If you say the wrong thing there is a target on your back. A lot of time and money is spent on testing things. Lots of talk, very little action.

Advice to Management

Don't bother asking things in surveys or other time wasting methods if you aren't going to listen.

5. "You'll Gain Experience"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

As an employee you'll gain a lot of experience, and they will teach you a lot. The pay is pretty decent, and the flexibility in the schedule that you work is easy to plan your life around.

Cons

You'll get worked into the ground, things change daily and as an employee of the agency, you are the last to know.

"Terrible place to work."

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

You will get a lot of experience very quickly. One year at Medic is like five or more in other system.

Cons

You get all that experience because you are very busy your entire shift. The favorites get the slower posts while the rest rotate through the busy ones.

The overall management is horrible. They only promote the people they like or to fill quotas. It has nothing to do with skills or knowledge. When you see the promotion list, you basically think, 'that is the last person I want on my scene, let alone manage it'. They don't care about their people or their true welfare. They only look at their bottom line and performance.

Their awards/honors system is completely biase. Again, it's who you know, not what you know.

Accountability - there is non for the favorites. The rest are held accountable for everything.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good old boy system.

"Looks good on the outside"

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great equipment, great co-workers, awesome protocols

Cons

Agency management has forgot that employees are the #1 asset. You'll have to beg patients to email that you did a "great job" just to get a 2% raise. Not enough trucks for the call volume.

Advice to Management

Stop attempting to put a band aid on the internal bleeding. Take care of your employees. Compensate them for the work they do.

8. "Great EMS Employer"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Excellent coworkers. Never dull.

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

Succession planning and professional devlopment at all levels would help ease promotional transitions.

9. "First Class Agency to have a rewarding career"

Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief
    Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief

Pros

Excellent opportunity for career growth within the Agency
    New ambulances designed by the field employees to allow for comfortable ride for the patient while allowing us as care providers the proper space we need to work
    Administration values the input of the employees, as seen above, hte provide that positive work enviroment and relationship
    Pay is excellent and well above average across the state/region
    Paramedics get 15% pay increase to become a Crew Chief
    Annual raises worth up to 4%
    Paramedics can earn up to 19% pay increase within the first year
    Agency performance bonuses worth a potential total of $3,000 per year
    Outstanding benefits package including medical, dental and vision
    11 paid holidays whether you are working or not
    State retirement and you can be vested at 5 years
    New Stryker gurneys
    Philips MRx monitors
    Large variety of shifts and hours and even work as a dual Paramedic truck on many shifts
    We have a Medical Director who is involved heavily with protocols and employees
    Paid monthly training to maintain your certs for State and NR (if you have it)
    All post are either MEDIC stations of CFD/County stations, no street corner posting

BOTTOMLINE: When it comes to EMS this is a place where you can have a career and not a job. You will feel valued as an employee and grow professionally as a clinician

Cons

Like anywhere else, depending on your shift, working the occasional Holiday or weekend.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive relationship you have worked on building with us as employees and valuing our input on projects and agency improvements.

"Paramedic Crew Chief"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

Busy system, decent benefits, paid Con Ed.

Cons

Advertised as progressive but I have only seen them take away skills and clinical ability. Large company, so instead of challenging their providers they tend to cater to the lazy and complacent to keep bodies in the seats and maintain staffing. Large company, so LOTS of management, politics and red tape. They say competitive pay, but not to start and it takes a long time to work through the beirocratic red tape to get your salary to where it was promised to me during my recruitment and they failed to mention a salary cap.

Advice to Management

Higher better providers, not just bodies to fill the seat.