Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. Featured Review

"Busy agency with outstanding patient outcomes"

Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay for the region
    Excellent benefits package
    State retirement
    New and well maintained equipment
    Large variety of shifts
    Advancement opportunities in different tracks
    Protocols
    Excellent Medical Director
    Research
    Great co-workers
    Big push by management for more employee involvement in improvement work.
    Great place to push improve as a clinician

Cons

Very busy - not for someone looking for a slow agency

Advice to Management

Continue the efforts to give employees a voice in decision making, the improvements are being noticed.

2. "First Class Agency to have a rewarding career"

Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief
    Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for career growth within the Agency
    New ambulances designed by the field employees to allow for comfortable ride for the patient while allowing us as care providers the proper space we need to work
    Administration values the input of the employees, as seen above, hte provide that positive work enviroment and relationship
    Pay is excellent and well above average across the state/region
    Paramedics get 15% pay increase to become a Crew Chief
    Annual raises worth up to 4%
    Paramedics can earn up to 19% pay increase within the first year
    Agency performance bonuses worth a potential total of $3,000 per year
    Outstanding benefits package including medical, dental and vision
    11 paid holidays whether you are working or not
    State retirement and you can be vested at 5 years
    New Stryker gurneys
    Philips MRx monitors
    Large variety of shifts and hours and even work as a dual Paramedic truck on many shifts
    We have a Medical Director who is involved heavily with protocols and employees
    Paid monthly training to maintain your certs for State and NR (if you have it)
    All post are either MEDIC stations of CFD/County stations, no street corner posting

BOTTOMLINE: When it comes to EMS this is a place where you can have a career and not a job. You will feel valued as an employee and grow professionally as a clinician

Cons

Like anywhere else, depending on your shift, working the occasional Holiday or weekend.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive relationship you have worked on building with us as employees and valuing our input on projects and agency improvements.

3. "Paramedic Crew Chief"

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

Busy system, decent benefits, paid Con Ed.

Cons

Advertised as progressive but I have only seen them take away skills and clinical ability. Large company, so instead of challenging their providers they tend to cater to the lazy and complacent to keep bodies in the seats and maintain staffing. Large company, so LOTS of management, politics and red tape. They say competitive pay, but not to start and it takes a long time to work through the beirocratic red tape to get your salary to where it was promised to me during my recruitment and they failed to mention a salary cap.

Advice to Management

Higher better providers, not just bodies to fill the seat.

5. "Medical receptionist"

Pros

I am excellent with patients and can multitask. I love working with nurses. The medical field drives me to be the best I can possibly be.

Cons

Working with doctors can sometimes be challenging but can also bring bring out my faults. It is high stress but I can handle it.

Advice to Management

I know my history shows a gap on employment but I am ready to get back on the game.

"Excellent way to get healthcare experience"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid training; excellent training
    Plenty of OT opportunities
    Great benefits

Cons

Somewhat of a disconnect between administration and field staff

7. "It is a job"

Current Employee - Paramedic Crew Chief in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Resume Builder
    Pay is better than a lot of places in the country.
    Pay is just slightly higher than other local counties to not be able to get out.
    State retirement with 5 year vesting (good luck)
    Very few supervisors are great and worth keeping.
    Vetting process for new people that takes a lot longer than most places to weed out those that have no idea what they are doing.
    I wouldn't say best equipment but it's okay.
    Logistics is a great set up to get in and out

Cons

Low pay for amount of work performed
    Don't plan on ever getting out on time. Ever
    Management nickel and dimes you for every minute on the clock even with all the overtime.
    Scheduling is notorious for denying a day of vacation right in the middle of your two or three week vacation.
    Complete disconnect from administration.
    Continual stripping of benefits and pay raises.
    The entire pay raise system is based on how fast you can get people into the hospital and cleared.
    The entire pay raise just went down significantly so that topping out in a position takes around 20 years even being an incredibly fast performer.
    Keep your head down and don't buck the system or you will feel a target on your back.
    Pretend employee engagement however management still does things their way even though they have pretended to listen to employee feedback.
    Tax payer funded buildings are not utilized instead crews are posted in parking lots to make them faster.
    Dispatch CMED will punish you if you upset them with busy posts and transfers.
    Good luck getting lunch or eating it.
    If you have made it passed 7 years you will never be able to afford to leave but will regret staying every day.
    Promotion? Yeah right. Better wait 10 years until the next batch retires.
    They still advertise our special teams like swat, CEU, and bike teams but only SWAT is active and good luck getting in. Most supervisors and educators hold onto that spot well into their 50s and CEU and bike team are done because even though it is a county system we are pretty much for profit.
    CEO and the other admin staff have pretty nice salary packages but beware our number two is a snake straight for Jersey.

Advice to Management

Start over. New management that employees can trust and believe what they are saying. Give up your salaries before you start taking ours.

"Underpaid, undercompensated, unappreciated & overworked."

Former Employee - Paramedic in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Much like the Review Title states if you want to be "underpaid, undercompensated and unappreciated" and have a penchant for being a glutton for punishment; then by all means, Mecklenburg EMS Agency (MEDIC) is the perfect place for you. The only "Pro's" I experienced in my 2-years of working here, was the (mandatory) introductory Paramedic Refresher Course; to be applied to the next National Registry Recertification cycle. This refresher course, much like all of the activities for your first 3-months after DAY 1, is required to Pass with acceptable grade... if not and you receive a "Failing" mark or grade, then there is no second chance and you are immediately dismissed and fired. Had I known this before hand, I would have thought twice, about relocating out-of-state for a measly $16.05 per hour, with the very real chance of being immediately fired; without a second chance for failing a written test, assessment and/or FTO orientation. Oh, and the FTO orientation (ride-time) is observed, assessed and ultimately graded far too subjectively by FTO assigned to. Keep in mind, if your FTO doesn't "like" you, he/she can fail you and you are "out of a job".

Cons

Hmmm.... There are so many "Con's it's hard to list them all... Pay based on years experience is atrocious; absolutely no preference or leverage with being a Veteran or having an Advanced Degree (Graduate Degree) highest starting pay is $17.30 with 15-20 years experience. MEDIC doesn't even recognize NREMT. Compensation / benefits are horrible and very expensive... this does not include the mandatory retirement contribution which is deducted from your paycheck (about $100 per paycheck before taxes)... this deducted without consent and is required; even if you don't plan on retiring from MEDIC after 20 years. One of the most annoying things about the work environment at MEDIC is that it is "a good-ole-boy" system where favoritism is practiced everyday and is the "preferred rule of the land"...this does not only apply to certain clique's but MEDIC has a very bad habit of promoting incompetent and under-qualified Managers, Supervisors and FTO's. Take my advice; if you're thinking of applying to MEDIC, do yourself a favor and stay clear away from this company. Sure it looks "pretty and promising on the outside surface... but I promise you; you will regret making the decision to accept a position as a Paramedic.

Advice to Management

My advice to management.... hmmm.... honestly, I wouldn't know where to start... For anyone who has worked for a different EMS system / agency, if you decide to accept a position as a Paramedic, you will learn eventually (in relatively a short-order) that this company / agency known as MEDIC is as "messed-up as a football-bat".... in terms of relatively no opportunities for advancement, incommensurate pay raises, insulting starting pay, incompetent leaders, and "hoops to jump through" during your first 3-months of probationary employment.

9. "Not a bad place, not a great place."

I have been working at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time

Pros

Most of the people are really great. There is a lot of research done that most places don't have the ability to do. The agency has a great reputation world wide.

Cons

Culture promotes negativity. There is a disconnect between leadership and the workforce. Supervisors don't seem to be connected to their employees and favoritism is encouraged.

Advice to Management

Hold management accountable. Define the supervisor role. Create effective links between the workforce and management. Be visible and approachable. Don't send mixed messages.

"Paramedic"

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Benefits Location
    Equipment
    Training
    Employees
    Friendly people
    Lots of hospitals to transport to

Cons

Pay
    Management
    Medical Control
    Division between Medical and Fire

11. "Okay if you keep your head down"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Mecklenburg EMS Agency - Medic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good training. Great experience as a stepping stone into Medicine. Progressive system with large resource capabilities. Great morale among peers (other field crews, including FD and PD).

Cons

Complete disconnect with Admin, little representation / advocacy from immediate supervisors. Imbalanced work-load (very high expectations) and little reward for performing well. Wage advancement is degrading very quickly.

Advice to Management

Good luck.