MedAmerica, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Harrington

Pros
  • They provide a lot of flexibility to help with a work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Also, the benefits are amazing and constantly get better as your time here grows (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not very much room for growth for most departments (in 3 reviews)

• This used to be company that was good with work life balance, but in the recent years the attempt to grow more than it has the resources (i (in 3 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a great team
    Flexible work environment
    Growing organization

Cons

Politics with Hospitalist group - Director has a lot of power but treats staff with disrespect. Staff are afraid to tend to turn over quickly in this department

Advice to Management

Look at why Director can't keep staff or get others to pitch in to help her. Need to really do exit interviews to get the real feadback.

Apr 7, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you had a great team to work with and noticed the flexible work environment here at MedAmerica. We are definitely a growing organization and we ... More

"Poor Sr Leadership"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to be great until they chose to hire a lot of consultants and messed up the structure. Some things that i enjoyed were the benefits, 401K, profit sharing nice view of tje ocean or freeway and free coffee and teas.

Cons

Work life balance, unrealistic expectations, lack of communication surrounding system changes. New leadership telling people to drink the koolaid or leave (actually had a picture of koolaid on a powerpoint). Puts fear in employees that if the specify problems or suggest ideas that are not welcomed, they are not drinking enough koolaid and will get fired.

Advice to Management

Trust some of your existing leaders and not always listen to consultants. Consultants have cookie cutter methods and MedAmerica is too complex to structure everything out. Just because the decision wasn't yours, it doesn't make it a bad decision. When trying to move to an enterprise model, quit taking every job task away from staff that they enjoy, unless that is your tactic for constructive discharge. I'm glad I left the company, I hear that a lot of additional high level managers have been brought in and communication is worse.

"Physician Assistant"

Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Roseburg, OR
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Roseburg, OR

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High salary and great benefits.

Cons

Lack of training. Politics.

May 22, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for sharing your experience here. I’m glad to hear you appreciate our competitive compensation package; we aim to take care of our employees! I was disappointed to read about your training ... More

"Politics at the top drives entire, unhealthy organizational culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Company supports doctors who help save people's lives

Cons

Politics, backstabbing, and undermining is so thick, it is impossible to get work done and a very unhealthy environment. Make sure you make friends with the right people.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and honest with each other and the employees

Apr 4, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you were able to see the positive impact that the providers we support are having on patient’s lives. MedAmerica’s partnership with CEP America is very ... More

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to develop. If you are a hard worker and are hungry you will be given the opportunity to grow. Great 401k and flexibility of work schedule. Great work culture and coworkers that can become actual friends. The company really values the human component of being an employee.

Cons

The pay is under market. I love working at MedAmerica and I love what I do. However the organization seems to be out of touch on salaries for the market. salaries seem to be a constant issue here and has resulted in a constant revolving door for some teams.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but look into salaries. Also look into student loan repayment incentives. This would be a major plus in employee satisfaction.

Jan 20, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you see the opportunity to grow with us and also the positive workplace culture that we have fostered. One of our biggest initiatives is promoting ... More

"Micro management & supervisors"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Modesto, CA

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Regular business hours
    Holiday pay
    Vacation
    Sick time
    Weekends off
    Amazing 401k

-The Human Resources department at MedAmerica is amazing, friendly, and professional.

Cons

Wage
    Not for career minded people
    The supervisors in Patient Services gossip
    Favoritism

MICRO MANAGEMENT!
    -No matter how talented the individual, the micromanager/supervisors hovers to ensure that every detail is done the way he or she would do it (even if it's done wrong).

Poor position training
    -you'll have 3 different supervisors training you 3 different ways to do your job. Poor structure.
    Supervisors need to clearly define roles & responsibilities.

Patient Services Supervisors are incompetent
    -They need for formal training and education.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, treat each employee equal, and seek formal training for the Patient Service Supervisors

Mar 1, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for your review! We are really sorry that your experience at MedAmerica Billing Services did not match our intention of being the best place you have ever worked. We are taking your ... More

"Bad management team and a bad company politics"

Former Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of people that work at MedAmerica (MA) are great - they are young and full of spirit. This is a good place to start off your career as there is great opportunity to learn about the health care industry and learn how physician groups work. Other great perks are company parties, great office location, and benefits - but beware, disillusionment quickly sets in after you get to know the true culture of the place.

Cons

MedAmerica (MA) hires a lot of entry-level individuals and pays at the lowest rate possible! They target hard-working individuals that will give 200%+, and MA will keep on piling work on top of work (their work-life balance motto is a joke, take a look at the head of HR! She works insane hours, including at 3am!). This results in the workforce quickly becoming bitter and feeling taken advantage of due to the HUGE discrepancy between pay and productivity. This leads to crazy turn-over (which is now a chronic disease for MA). In addition, those that have management positions are easily threaten and will "play dirty" to remove the "potential threat", actually destroying that person's potential at MA. Management appointments are given to those that do not pose a threat (and those that are friends with them - there is a clique of the management team that is so apparent). When new managers/leaders are hired from outside, their potential for success at MA is also very, very low as it is hard to break into the clique of managers (who are very powerful).

I came in as an entry-level employee and quickly moved up the ranks of manager. However, it was clear that the more I performed well and the more I learned, the more I became a threat - and once you are targeted, those with power will do anything possible to destroy you. I am speaking from experience. If you want to succeed as a manager within MA, you have to be ok being a "puppet manager" and you must always be passive and submissive to those managers that are part of the clique (those that have been there 10-20 years). In conclusion, the culture within the management team is similar to the culture of a "mean girl" clique in high school...I have to mention that some of the management is known for not performing or producing much work. These people have stayed in their jobs because of their relationship ("friendship") with those on top.

Advice to Management

Honestly, you have been working on improving the company morale for over 10-20 years and nothing has really changed. The true problem is in your management team, you must stop the cliquish ways of your management team and truly evaluate their performance. Get rid of those that have history of destroying teams and not being productive and bring in some fresh people with fresh ideas. And for those managers that have been there for a long time - do not let your insecurities get in the way of giving other opportunities (especially the young leaders with so much potential). Letting others grow does not equal you losing your job - it just makes you a stronger leader!

Jan 12, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for your review! Here at MedAmerica we take pride in the development of our employees. We offer career pathing, growth opportunities, and effective learning modules to help engage and ... More

"Zero Stars"

Former Employee - Medical Biller III in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Biller III in Modesto, CA

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k was great. Bonuses were great.

Cons

Management made up their own rules. Some teams forced to do overtime (or be written up) against corporates wishes.

Supervisor engineered the firing of 2 of my teammates. Despite ample evidence given to her superiors, this was ignored and she was promoted.

Toxic environment enabled by apathetic management.

Hour long meetings bi-weekly with my severely understaffed team telling us we weren't getting enough work done despite all of us working overtime.

Competent people with supervisory potential (and had been doing the job for almost a year anyway) were passed over in favor of a new hire with no experience in the job.

No training on what the company specifically wanted in notes on accounts while doing X or Y task. Employees written up for not following mystery guidelines.

Pay is under market value. Raises are not based on metrics, they are based on whether your supervisor likes you or not. You could get 100% on all of your QA's and still get no raise.

Advice to Management

Get your acts together. This is shameful behavior! I left on good terms and am disgusted with how this company operates. Ice cream once a year doesn't sweep your mismanagement under the rug.

9. "Best company to begin with and end with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at MedAmerica, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love how the company is constantly trying to improve the work environment, culture, and benefits. There are always professional development opportunities available. Also, the benefits are amazing and constantly get better as your time here grows. There's so much incentive to work here and stay here. Also, I feel like I am deeply valued by my team and my manager. Even though I started in one specific area here, my manager is very open about me exploring other opportunities at MedAmerica, or, she has also expressed potential opportunities that may come with the role I am. Here, I feel like I am constantly growing and being supported with this growth. I hope the professional and personal opportunities keep growing, as I see constant, positive change happening across my team, my department, and the company.

Cons

The compensation is average or less than average.

Advice to Management

Thanks for supporting all the departments and encouraging the growth of professional/personal opportunities. I love the new sabbatical leave opportunity! Moving forward, please consider that the costs of living is way beyond unimaginable and that we need competitive pay to support these rising costs. I think the biggest turn-off for MEdAmerica is its poor compensation. Therefore, if there is some signs of progress to improve this, I bet this would be the greatest incentive for employees to stay here for much longer.

Dec 20, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear of your positive experience with our organization over your time here. At MedAmerica we definitely strive to promote the professional growth of our ... More

"Entry Level"

Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Modesto, CA

I worked at MedAmerica, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Good for training purposes as an entry level employee

Cons

Not for career minded individuals