MedExpert Medical Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Medical Information Coordinator"

Current Employee - Medical Information Coordinator
    Current Employee - Medical Information Coordinator

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The call center is open from 6/7am to 8pm, which means if you work 40 hours a week there is some flexibility in your hours.
    -Job attracts good people because of the nature of the work. The job is about helping people.
    -Good office experience and a great entry-level position to break into the healthcare system.
    -Flexible with time off/sick leave if needed.
    -Very flexible for parents who have children.
    -Free soda and occasional free lunch.
    -Organized company with clear expectations and clear protocols.

Cons

-Management lacks people skills and soft skills which makes it hard to be an employee there. A lot of fear of management.
    -High turnover which includes several terminations, high performers tending to quit, and newer employees quitting before they finish training.
    -Unreasonable expectations of what MICs can handle in workload.
    -Management speaks badly of others and publicly embarrasses employees who mess up. This comes out on the floor or in meetings.
    -No benefits or PTO, three days of sick leave.

Advice to Management

This would be an excellent place to work if the relationship between the employees and managers were resolved. Maybe some training in relational skills and leadership skills for management would help?

"Good Place to Get Experience, but Mediocre & Egoistic Management."

Former Employee - Medical Coordinator in Redwood City, CA

I worked at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Medexpert offers unparalleled flexibility when creating your schedule. However they don't offer any PTO or vacation time, so if you don't work you won't get paid. That said if you don't really need money and want to take 3 weeks off they won't care- because they don't have to pay you. They give the bare minimum legally mandated sick leave and there is no healthcare.
    The starting wage is fair and this is a good place to get healthcare experience if you want to get your foot in the door and have something to talk about at future job interviews.
    They also talk a great game and spin the company very well so the systems and processes look interesting and dynamic from the outside. It was interesting learning about telehealth and telemedicine, but realize this place is just a glorified medical call center. The doctors and non-family non-management staff are all very nice and good to work with.

Cons

Saving money on staff benefits and salaries so the owners family can afford an exorbitant inflated lifestyle is their biggest concern. At times I felt like I was working at a pyramid scheme to write off the owners private jets.

Most of the competent employees quickly become aware of this after working here for 6 months and get frustrated and leave. There is massive turnover and employee churn. When I was there they literally could not hire fast enough to replace the people who quit, even thought there was an initiative to increase headcount they couldn't retain employees.
    I witnessed some unethical client retention practices.

Advice to Management

Stop family politics and be fair to ALL employees. End unethical practices among Sr. management and also support those who work for you. Offer health insurance.

"Not a great six months, bad experience overall"

Current Employee - Medical Coordinator in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Coordinator in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started at MedExpert, I was really excited and thought that there would be a ton of opportunity for growth professionally. I knew it would be a challenge but I was ready to work hard. When I started in 2014 you could feel the energy and excitement, which has mostly gone away at this point. There are still a ton of great employees there and I made great connections. Occasionally free food here and there and free soda.

Cons

No benefits. Seems every six months they will promise us we will get healthcare next quarter. Never happens. Meanwhile they'll hire extended family to be the Executive Director of Nothing and give them a sweet luxury company car. Do you know how infuriating it is to work somewhere that won't offer you healthcare when it is a healthcare job?

POLITICS. Even if you try to avoid them you are negatively impacted by the family who owns this company. Unless you are related to them you will never, ever be promoted on merit. Period.

- Bad hires: In the beginning I think MedExpert hired a lot of great talent and good doctors, but now a lot of the good employees have left. When I started here they told me they would be the "next google of healthcare." They can't even hire fast enough to replace the people who leave. The owners family members are lazy, swan into the office at 11am after morning yoga and do not care about the people or culture and make people feel like you should just be lucky to work for them. It's sad - a lot of good talented people leave because they see it is a dead end job if you're not in the family.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the leadership- they really do nothing all day and chaos ensues on their projects. That is a red flag. Look at who actually gets things done and delivers completed projects- promote those people.
    Treat your hard working employees with respect and recognize how dedicated they are.

"A Sinking Ship...."

Former Employee - Medical Coordinator-RN
    Former Employee - Medical Coordinator-RN

I worked at MedExpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great idea, terrible execution. Decent hours, no nights, and no weekends (normally). They sometimes provide free lunch on Fridays. Very flexible for those who have children or people who enjoy traveling (but PTO is not provided). Leave work at work and you don't have to take it home with you. At times, you do feel good when you are successful in helping people.

Hard working and friendly coworkers, even though they are not appreciated.

Cons

This is a family run call center business that is done so poorly. Employees are not valued, respected, and are underpaid. There is an extremely high turnover rate. Executives aren't truthful with employees or the clients. Clients leave and employees are given stories or are not told at all.

Its similar to a secret society. Closed doors, arguments between the execs/family members.
    Higher level management talk poorly about long time employees after they leave.

Good employees leave, almost all of the nurses that were here have moved on as well since there is not a future with this company. The nurses and MDs that are left are not utilized for their skills and education.

Employees are underpaid and there is no room for growth. Technology is only applicable to this company so you cannot take the experience using the system to a future position.

No health benefits (even though this is a health centered company), no PTO, minimal sick time enforced by law.

Executives have luxury vehicles while employees have no health insurance.

No protocols or procedures in place. Employees will get scolded for doing something incorrectly, but management doesn't even know how to do things themselves. Multiple executives telling employees to do things differently.

Do not see a future of this company at all, will be surprised if it is still in business in a year from now.

Advice to Management

Give daily operations management to an individual that is NOT part of the family. Let that person take the reigns. Take in outside input on how the business should run. Get in touch with reality.

"Good co workers"

Current Employee - Medical Coordinator
    Current Employee - Medical Coordinator

I have been working at MedExpert full-time

Pros

Good team aspect in all departments

Cons

More time to build as a team outside of office

"Rewarding job"

Current Employee - Medical Information Coordinator in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Information Coordinator in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is perfect if you want to help people. You get to make a difference and impact someone's life, just by giving them a phone call. The management is very supportive, and more than willing to listen to feedback and new ideas. Flexible hours and time off. Stable hours and work schedule. You get free sodas/snacks and the company buys lunch about once a week. The moral around the office has gotten so much better. The disgruntled employees have left, for the most part. Almost everyone in the office is happy to be there and the tension is now gone. Amazing how a few negative people can contaminate the workplace. All companies have ups and downs. Things are defiantly looking up now.

Cons

It does seem like all the upper management positions are filled by family members and friends. But, even with that said, they are all very nice. Hopefully as the company grows and continues to expand, there will be more promotions available for non family members.

Also, there is no sick time, vacation, or health benefits for hourly employees. Hoping that eventually changes because we work hard and it's nice to be rewarded with benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It is exciting to work for a company with so much potential. All of our hard work will eventually pay off.

"Tough place to work"

Former Employee - Medical Coordinator in Redwood City, CA

I worked at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can say

Cons

Lots of hope when I first started but quickly realized this company was different. Management is a total train wreck and they swear loud all the time even at times at the employees so uncomfortable when I working there. No health benefits and way too many do's and dont's. Every company even smaller ones then this employer offer health benefits. They are just too cheap to offer it to you but walk around bragging about how many people they helped save lives.

I was never allowed to have my phone at work because they say its the law but management walks around with phones all day. Not only management, but I also saw engineers and maintenance guys using and talking on their phones. They use the law excuse every time they don't want you to do or have something but then they break every law for themselves and your locker is subject to random searches.

No food at your desk and you are required to clock out just to use the bathroom. Is that even legal? Every where you go in the building, you have to swipe your badge and if you forgot to swipe going one way... well guess what... your locked out and have to find someone to help you open the door.

Advice to Management

I've worked for much smaller companies and they all offered benefits and medical. Stop being so cheap. I left this company and went to a competitor that offers health benefits. Just offer health benefits and treat your employees like humans. We have feelings that you need to think about and not just about yourself and how you can save a dollar.