MedImmune Reviews in Gaithersburg, MD | Glassdoor

Bahija Jallal
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • At times, work/life balance will suck (in 26 reviews)

• since its growing quickly with AZ acquisition, lots of work to do (in 6 reviews)

"Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at MedImmune full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cafeteria was good. That's the only pro.

Cons

Terrible management, lazy employees and bosses. No values.

"What are you people talking about?"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at MedImmune (More than 3 years)

Pros

Theyre laying people off of their jobs! And not just one or two. Some entire groups are gone, and there are more layoffs coming in the near future. And who's left is probably actively looking for a new employer. Who ever is still feeding you that line that this is a great place to work must think that you have the reasoning skills of a 10 year old. There are many well written and very accurate reviews about the climate of this company. Believe them! On the plus side if you need industry experience, you get a good start here, but dont hope to stay here long. People steal your ideas and if the company leadership green-lights it then you may not get to work on that project at all. If you do something exceptional your manager may try to take credit for it. And sometimes when one incompetent employee messes-up (BIG) there's no action taken at all. The whole group is assigned the blame.

Cons

Management is all over the place! Many are too political, some will stab you in the back, and almost all are not involved at all in any real career development of their reports. This place is full of favoritism. Perhaps in the distant future this company will become a more even playing field, but as of today, just hope that you fall under a manager who can actually manage instead of just attending a bunch of meetings. Compensation is lower than average. This is a big company. Expect big corporate values and attitude/treatment towards its talent, cog.

Advice to Management

Theres not much that can be said that you haven't already heard, but even if I offered advice I am not confident that it would be considered. All those surveys haven't seemed to help change much. At least in this round of layoffs you've let go of some of the worst mid-level managers.

"Equal Opportunity is just a Certificate on the Wall"

Former Employee - Clinical Research in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Research in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at MedImmune full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits
    Fitness Center
    Shuttle to Metro
    Daycare center set to open soon
    Employee Friday social with good food

Cons

HR always support management. Employees needn't bother to defend themselved. Poor management and lack of promotions is why people leave. In particular, black minorities are harshly treated, without potential for promotions. Curious how most of your
    Black employees are never ready for promotions while average performers that are other races get managerial opportunities and promotions. Nepotism and favoritism in many departments; do not recommend that black employees bother to apply at Medimmune. Don"t get caught playing those zen games or watching TV during working hours!

Advice to Management

The company has a bad record in the DC area for its treatment of all employees. All races should have equal opportunities. Conduct a diversity survey. There are bullies in leadership positions , people are afraid to speak up.

"Environmental Health and Safety"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at MedImmune full-time

Pros

Talk a good talk, have great ideas but don't deliver a quality product. Good benefits and great social activities. Some departments have an extremely heavy workload.

Cons

Very dysfunctional. Hire folks, start programs, lay folks off to gain cost saving bonus for upper management. Seen this done at least 3-4 times.

Advice to Management

Know what your middle managers and supervisors are truly doing in the way of ethical employee management and method for bonus receipt.

"Poor Leadership, High Employee Turnover Rate, Nepotism, Cronyism"

Former Employee - Group Leader in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at MedImmune full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Robust pre-clinical discovery programs (quality and number)
    *Talent below Director level (although eroding with high turnover rates)
    *Immune Oncology portfolio
    *Great clinical teams
    *Strong core groups (although quite understaffed)

Cons

*Dysfunctional leadership at the very top (high nepotism and cronyism practices)
    *Some of the lowest work morale in the industry (driving high employee turnover rates)
    *Inability of leadership to focus and execute against portfolio (high micromanagement practices)
    *Promotions based on popularity contest instead of accomplishments and qualifications
    *Failure of leadership to manage expectations and deliverables from core clinical support groups (e.g., PK, Tox, Ops, etc) versus translational medicine (e.g., Ph1-2 early development clinical sciences, iMED and translational medicine)
    *Inability of leadership to provide vision and definitive goals

Advice to Management

Unlikely to see improvements until leadership changes.

"If you"

Former Employee - Pathology Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Pathology Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Benefits and food were great.

Cons

I've never seen so much neoptism in my entire career. You will be set up and terminated if you cross the wrong people.

Advice to Management

Gain some morals and ethics.

"Quick turn around,"

Former Employee - Legal Counsel in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Legal Counsel in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at MedImmune full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, nice looking office

Cons

Legal reps last 2 months

Advice to Management

Treat people like a person with respect

"Stay Away - Extremely dysfunctional company"

I worked at MedImmune full-time

Pros

Good training courses. Good benefits.

Cons

Back-stabbing is a way of life at MedImmune. Poor leadership encourages a CYA mentality instead of teamwork. The fighting from within has caused a miserable environment.

Advice to Management

Encourage teamwork. Set a good example from the top.

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Scientist I in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at MedImmune full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NONE that I can think of at this moment

Cons

This company has utter disrespect for employee safety, especially during Hurricane Sandy. This storm is described as "unprecedented," "catastrophic," "deadly," etc. MD and DC are under states of emergencies and local and government officials are warning residents not to travel unless absolutely necessary. All schools, local and FEDERAL governments are closed. Metro and bus service is suspended. Yet MedImmune remains open. We must use vacation if we do not travel to work in these potentially dangerous conditions and wind gusts.
    Money, not safety, is their top priority. In 2011, when the DC area was hit by a 5.8 earthquake, MedImmune employees were told, "For future reference, and unless otherwise notified by EHS Personnel, employees should not evacuate their buildings." We were told to keep working, while government was encouraging employees to evacuate and stay safe.
    In a recent employee satisfaction survey, employee engagement has significantly dropped. MedImmune needs to take these results seriously and realise that employees are not satisfied with the leadership running this organisation and the poor descions being made.
    I have never worked at an establishment where my safety was put into jeopardy for their financial gain. Working from home is not an option for those of us in R&D
    Lastly, I'd like to state that the employee emergency hotline has yet to be updated today, when our state is under an emergency declaration. I have to leave my children home alone and travel to work, where absolutely nothing will get done today.
    The complete lack of leadership at this organisation in making this judgement call is staggeringly disappointing

Advice to Management

Put employee safety first

"Need the money and can't move"

Current Employee - Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

-Nice cafeteria; expensive food
    -Nice facilities; temp control an issue in some buildings
    -Nice Fitness center
    -work at home allowed for some positions

Cons

--Employees stressed with multiple projects
    -They give out lots of 2's in evaluations (needs improvement ) so they don';t have to pay out bonuses.Many employees shafted this year
    -HR is not effective and slow to respond to basic HR issues. Who ever heard of an HR that does not review job descriptions. Why let managers hire people who do not have qualifications for the position
    -hiring freeze in place
    -no travel allowed, people cannot take external training anymore and they also balk at paying tuition reimbursement
    -many people I know are looking for another job but feel stuck in Maryland with few career options/companies in the area
    -inxperienced managers; bad behavior bullying tolerated
    -AZ collaboration not working out

Advice to Management

-Pay equal salaries and give promotional opportunities to females, over 40, experienced people and minorities
    -Ever heard of implementing policies to retain people?
    -Ever heard of equal opportunity?
    -Pay attention to dysfunctional HR
    -Don't expect people to perform after witholding bonus
    -Please read Focus reviews and make managers implement improvements and offer career counseling (if they are capable)