MedPharm Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO
1 Rating

1. "Senior Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at MedPharm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good job security, so no fair of losing your job

Cons

You are worked to the bone. The managers can sometimes be unfair

Advice to Management

Treat staff better

"Great co-workers and supportive environment"

I have been working at MedPharm full-time

Pros

Starting working at MedPharm has been a great decision; I had the opportunity to work on different type of projects and to be part of the team that develop several products that are now in the market. This is a great opportunity and you will rarely find something similar in another company.
    I will be honest the job has been challenging at times, but it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career (and this continues now); if you are willing to work hard and make a difference, this won’t go unnoticed and you will go quite far in the company.
    MedPharm rapidly grown in the past few years; despite that, there is still a family environment, where everyone knows each other. The recent restructure of HR has also great impact in terms of recruitment, internal communication and for personal support.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be stressful, and it's not the environment for someone accustomed to a slow, rarely shifting organization. Change is constant here. It is fast paced, and you need to be able to adapt and feel comfortable with that type of speed. With that said, I feel that I am adequately trained to adjust to these changes and I cannot imagine working in another company now.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees.

"Good place to start career"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at MedPharm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good place to start career for graduates. Young and friendly team in the lab. Fast track to develop career.

Cons

Working under constant pressure. Long working hours. Low salary for new starters. Not friendly management. Organizing work by management and short timelines.

Advice to Management

Management needs to improve organizing work and approach to employees. People are more effective when they are not under constant pressure!

5. "Good opportunity for hard workers"

I have been working at MedPharm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I chose to post this review because I don't agree with all the negativity on here. It is not my experience at MedPharm. I have been working there for 2 years. Its hard work and a fast moving environment. Lots of projects on the go simultaneously with many competing priorities. That is the key 'prioritisation'. I have often felt senior management are also juggling priorities and are more than willing to help out and make priority calls. No-one goes to work at MedPharm to intentionally do a poor job. I think the key is to have good communication with my boss and he is willing to sit down and go through my work with me whenever I need - no problem. The people are fantastic and I work with lots of great colleagues that I call friends. They are helpful, dedicated and hard working.

Cons

Lots of young people working there, in some cases straight from university. This is OK but the company could do with employing more middle managers and experienced scientists so that the learning curve is not so steep. Some of my junior colleagues don't seem happy unless they are whinging about something. But I think that comes form inexperience in the working world.

Also benefits package is not great and not in keeping with industry standards in terms of healthcare, pension and perks.

Advice to Management

More information on the products we develop. Miss the email updates on client projects and products that leave the facility. Project Manager previously sent these out to everyone.

6. "Finally found a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at MedPharm (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere in the workplace and everyone super friendly. High level of health and safety and quality control for staff and products which is reassuring and clear routes of progression in the company. Diversity in work tasks keep things interesting.

Cons

Having to walk from one building unit to another to sign out at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing it's working great.

7. "Just Great"

I have been working at MedPharm full-time

Pros

At MedPharm you get to work with world class scientists on some of the most sophisticated and fascinating projects in topical pharmaceutical development. A global leader in their field, MedPharm exposes its staff to the highest calibre of scientific endeavour. If you seek innovation, challenge and opportunity, you'll love it.
    Our services are in high demand so there is always plenty to do and in this respect, MedPharm is not for the faint-hearted. However principled, bright and committed staff who are prepared to work hard with a positive can-do attitude are recognised, valued, nurtured and rewarded well.
    Being familiar with job roles and working conditions across a wide range of different organisations, including some of the biggest and smallest pharmaceutical companies in the world, I can honestly say that MedPharm stacks up superbly as an employer and delivers job satisfaction which is second to none.

Cons

There is an expectation that staff will work hard and make a real contribution to the success of the organisation. Which an average MedPharmer would actually see as a plus!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It won't suit everyone but those who choose to join and stick with it will be loyal and supportive and fully deserve the recognition (monetary and other) which you clearly enjoy bestowing, far in excess of the average employer.

"CRO R&D at its best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

Having worked at MedPharm for a few years and having got to know the majority of the staff, a lot of whom remain friends with me to this day, I think the majority of comments on this site are biased, untrue and warped versions of events from people who are clearly put out or trying to justify their reasons why they left or were asked to leave, which is why I feel strongly that I’d like to try and balance that out. None of these derogatory comments make any sense to me, and considering I think I had a well-rounded view of the company, I simply cannot relate to them. Yes the company are busy; however, in my opinion that is a reflection of success and dedication of its staff. No one was ever forced to work long hours; however, people were sometimes asked if they could to help out, it was optional (and overtime was paid at a good rate at weekends if you chose to do it). Unfortunately with research and development the results are not always predicable; likewise the time taken to do things can take longer than expected as a consequence of the unpredictability of R&D. Thus is it really a surprise that with a CRO, that people need to be flexible? Flexibility within the organisation was made crystal clear to me during my interview and in all the time I was there, and start and end times for work were also up to the individual providing they worked key hours. MedPharm is a fantastic place to work, if you are willing to learn. I even remember one of the senior team saying to me on my first week that MedPharm should be called MedPharm University due to the experience and knowledge you will get during your time there, and I completely agree with that. That said I don’t believe the CRO lifestyle is for everyone, it is not a sausage factory, it is not doing the same thing day in day out (allowing familiarity), it is not always predicable and it is not Disneyland (unfortunately there aren’t big fluffy rabbits running around everywhere giving people cuddles, despite some people on this site having the expectations that there should be, or at least implying this). It’s research and development for the leading pharmaceutical companies in the world, with a strong emphasis on quality, scientific knowledge and a desire to give the clients the absolute best and to do that right first time. It’s unpredictable, in that one week you can be working on nasal delivery and the next week, on skin or vaginal treatments. So far, it’s the best place I have ever worked, and I’m only the person I am today due to the experiences of working there.

Cons

MedPharm are a relatively young company with a lot of ambition who have grown on their success. There probably aren't as many benefits that can be had in comparison to a larger Pharma and it is busy. In addition as it’s a relatively small company, promotion opportunities were limited; however, as I saw the company grow during my time there, these opportunities were growing and becoming more frequent, I’m told now they even have a facility up and running in the US. But there is so much to gain from the company in terms of knowledge and experience and as the company grew whilst I was there so did the benefits, so it was getting better and better each year. I only left for personal reasons and needed to relocate outside of commuting distance and I do miss the people there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing; in my opinion you have built a fantastic company with a great reputation (people I work with now talk about you all the time).

"A Diverse and Continuous Learning Experience"

Pros

I gave up a perfectly respectable job in Big Pharma for MedPharm. Why? because it was dulI, restrictive and I wasn't learning anything. I joined MedPharm just over a year ago and it's turned out to be an excellent decision.

Firstly I have learned more in a year here than 5 years at my previous job. It's a multifaceted, dynamic and fast paced environment. You learn so much (even the bitterest reviews here acknowledge that). In my role I get to work with Scientific Project Leaders, Formulation & Analytical development, QC, QA & Production and clients. There are also many process improvement opportunities that span departments and the entire company.

As other reviews have noted, there is a great spirit within and between teams. Sometimes it's all hands to the pump-this comes with the territory for a CR/CMO carrying out world class research and developing and manufacturing novel formulations -things don't always go to plan. I count myself lucky being able to work with highly talented people who really care-it's a big comfort when you're working together to overcome the numerous challenges that get thrown at you.

I have found senior management and the owners to be open, positive, decent human beings and certainly nothing like the sociopaths described in other reviews. I've received advice, support and constructive criticism from nearly all of them . They are willing to listen to other ideas and opinions. You can even have a laugh with them (imagine that). The CSO has had meetings to speak to new employees and recently hosted a mentoring session which I attended. The idea that management don't care about their people is utter nonsense.

If you are proactive and come up with solutions to problems , you will be given your chance. I've seen this a lot recently in many of my colleagues . You can really influence at MedPharm and get noticed.

Cons

If you want to learn, stretch yourself and work independently and with others to overcome challenges then you'll thrive. If you're looking for comfort and a steady predictable job, forget it. MedPharm isn't the place for you.

Formal career paths and progression are still being defined-maybe not such a surprise given the rate of growth at MedPharm-but they are getting there and there's so much going on that there are plenty of opportunities to shine.

There is a nice blend of energetic youth and experience but occasionally some of the younger employees display naivety and on the odd occasion a sense of entitlement. Not surprising but something to be aware of.

There are fewer perks here than at other companies.

My commute is long but absolutely worth it.

Advice to Management

I know its in the pipeline but I would share your plan for MedPharm with the whole company asap-people are genuinely interested and will better understand how they fit in.

Keep on encouraging more ownership-it will have a big effect on behaviours and productivity.

"8 Months I'd Rather Forget"

Former Employee - Junior Scientist in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Junior Scientist in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at MedPharm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While I really hated working at MedPharm, I did enjoy working with the other junior scientists at the company. They were almost all young and good fun to work with. Other than that there wasn't much that was good.

Cons

The worst thing about MedPharm was definitely the senior management, one manager in particular was extremely rude and generally unpleasant. What was even worse was they were managing a young and inexperienced team, often full of people who didn't really have the necessary knowledge to do the job properly. Training opportunities were virtually non-existent, I was told I'd spend the first 3 months training, while in reality I had about 10 hours of training. This is something they were working on improving as I was leaving though, so hopefully they can continue in that direction.

The hours were generally long, but I wouldn't say they were that excessive, the main thing that annoyed me was that although we often stayed late we were never thanked. In fact on more than one occasion I stayed late to try and fix something, but didn't manage to and then got in trouble for not staying even later.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with more respect and be more patient with new starters. Also offer much better and longer training

"Balanced Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at MedPharm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked for MedPharm now for just shy of a year. In that time I have been exposed to a multitude of different tasks and opportunities. My training file has grown quickly and not a month has gone past where I haven’t been able to add a new notch to my belt.
    It is the type of company you get out what you put in. So if you don’t want to challenge yourself and progress, well, you won’t but if you show willing, and that willing is matched by knowledge the rewards come, both financially and just in general work satisfaction.
     There is always room to progress and improve on yourself if you are willing to meet the challenges of working for a mid-sized Pharma company. After working for much larger Pharma companies I would say you often you have a tendency of getting pigeon holed in them. This will not happen at MedPharm. You will (if you want and show willing / capability) be able to expand your skill set into different parts of the pharmaceutical process.
    Because of the success of MedPharm and the demands of the clients it can be a challenge at time to meet the expectations but it does not go unnoticed and is rewarded. There are days when you finish and feel absolutely exhausted but unlike with some companies I’ve worked for in the past. I’ve never had a morning where I have awoken and dreaded going in.
    The MedPharm family is a close net group of people and it feels like a home away from home.
    To close, I would say if you are a young, dynamic person who is looking to join a company that will help you reach your full potential then you could defiantly do a lot worse than MedPharm.

Cons

Busy Environment.
    Young Work Force.
    Local Traffic and Commute.