MedQuist Medical Transcriptionist Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2017

Found 15 reviews

1.5
Peter L. Masanotti

"Bought out my previous company"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Free Home, GA

I worked at MedQuist full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice to work from home. Like doing transcription. Benefits are good.

Cons

They laid off management people. Pay is low. Expectations for quality and production are too high.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees.

MedQuist2014-04-21

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MedQuist

Pros

Working at home and being able to set a somewhat flexible schedule. The particular assigned "coach" I had was very helpful

Cons

Very low pay for work done. Editing cents per line lower than straight transcription and takes as long, or longer, than typing.

Advice to Management

Raise pay for editing voice recognition because it takes longer than straight transcription

MedQuist2017-01-20
  3. "Career Path Dead End"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at MedQuist

Pros

Company is substantial with history and some relative security - or at least it was several years back. Originally I was treated well, but everything changed due to changes in technological and the industry. Perhaps there are management positions that are still worthwhile.

Cons

Company mainly offers work for medical records transcriptionists. Ten years ago this work was considered a skilled specialty considered fairly valuable in the medical industry. I made a good living from it before that time. Technology and the medical industry changed, now it is like sweat shop piece work. Look for another line of work.

Advice to Management

I do not think that management, or even this company as a whole, is in a position to make a real difference in this line of work.

MedQuist2016-08-07

"Medical Transcriptionist"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MedQuist for less than a year

Pros

Pay on time, great IT support, ability to work from home, and the hours were pretty flexible.

Cons

There was not enough work. There was a constant change in personnel. Pay was very low. They expect a lot for very low wages.

Advice to Management

Take better care and have more compassion for your employees.

MedQuist2016-05-31

"I worked for Medquist for 17 years and was laid off at in the morning with no warning due to their outsourcing jobs."

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Clementon, NJ

I worked at MedQuist

Pros

Able to work at home.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, low pay barely minimum wage and poor management.

Advice to Management

Do everything differently.

MedQuist2015-01-29

"Good stepping stone company"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at MedQuist part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedules. Fairly consistent workloads. Will hire new graduates and provide needed training on platform. Good quality assurance program helps with learning dictators.

Cons

Weekend work required. Often difficult to find supervisors available if you need to speak with someone quickly. Very difficult to obtain any raises/promotions. Extremely large employee base.

MedQuist2014-02-25
  7. "Stay away"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I have been working at MedQuist full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home - when and if there is work available.

Cons

There is NEVER any work...you will NEVER get a raise....like other MT companies,,they will expect you to be happy working for pennies...if you don't like it....you could always move to India...cause that's where all of the work is....my advice? If you have a family to feed,,look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Management? What is that?

MedQuist2013-02-14
  8. "This is not a medical transcribing company, this is a sweatshop that does not value their employees."

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Fairfield, CA

I worked at MedQuist full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no pros working for this company.

Cons

Everything is wrong with this company. Similar to a sweat shop in China. The best thing they did for me was to fire me and now I work for a company who knows how to treat their employees.

Advice to Management

You need to take advice from companies that treat their employees with dignity. My worst years were when I worked for you, and now I know how valuable a company is by working for people who care about their employees. You are a disgrace to the medical profession and one day you will find it out when you start losing your accounts.

MedQuist2013-02-11

"If I had to do it over again, I would Just Say NO!!!"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Franklin, TN

I have been working at MedQuist

Pros

Working from home is a definite pro. Pay and benefits were much better in the past before the merger. Tech Support is excellent, available 24/7, and will send you whatever you need...even overnight if needed. Some of the local managers are good, but most are stretched too thin to be effective.

Cons

The biggest downside of Medquist/Spheris is the pay. They don't give raises...ever. I asked for a raise once, and they told me my "raise" is getting faster and doing more work. That would even be fine with me, if it were possible. They took away all bonuses and incentives based on production and gave everyone a "flat rate" pay per line. A couple months later, they gave everyone a pay cut (YES...they lowered our pay)....

Advice to Management

Management does not need (or want) my advice. Most of the experienced MTs have already left... and they know that. The rest are waiting for the economy to get better to find something else. If management doesn't start appreciating their employees (yes...I mean with money, and FAST), the first company who does will scoop up thousands of MTs for one heck of a customer quality-based service. I see this happening within...

MedQuist2011-12-09

"Downhill after MedQuist took over...."

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Newport, VT

I have been working at MedQuist

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home.

Cons

NO RAISES-EVER actually after MQ acquired us in a buyout my pay was cut twice within the year. More and more work being sent off-shore-the account I had been assigned to for over 10 years was taken away from us due to outsourcing-no warning, just.....GONE! Familiarity was the only way I was making anything close to a paycheck. Upper management does not give a crap about transcriptionists and how a pay cut impacts them......

Advice to Management

Stop treating your MTs like they are idiots and don't know when they are being ripped off. Stop outsourcing-it will bite your tail eventually. I've seen some of the work that comes from off shore! Give a raise to deserving MTs and stop taking things away from them. TALK TO US once in awhile, and pay attention to what you hear!!!

MedQuist2011-08-13