MedStar Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
MedStar Health President & CEO Kenneth A. Samet
Kenneth A. Samet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, and work environemnt (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits and salary package (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Expensive health plans, not much room for advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance is beyond abysmal (in 9 reviews)

1. "cura personalis"

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time

Pros

Excellent patient oriented place to work

Cons

relatively low salaries compared to non academic centers

Feb 22, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

Thanks for sharing feedback about your experience working at MedStar Union Memorial. We’re glad to hear that it has been a positive one. As you mentioned, we strive to deliver the best care for our... More

2. "I recommend Medstar to new graduate nurses"

Pros

You learn a lot. Nice and welcoming staff

Cons

Hectic environment, pay is a little bit less than other facilities in the area

Advice to Management

No comment

3. "Digital Marketing Coordinator"

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time

Pros

Flexibility and newness of position allow for individuals to learn a ton and make it their own.

Cons

Lots of changes and high turn over rate. The digital team is relatively new to the company and they are still figuring out how everything should be organized and what tools are best to use. There is also a lot of internal politics between hospitals and MedStar corporate, which can be frustrating for this position since the coordinator often acts as a liaison between the two.

Advice to Management

Invest and listen to your associates' wants and needs. Help them to grow professionally by focusing on their strengths and supporting/ offering training.

Apr 19, 2018 – Sr. Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for sharing your sincere feedback about being a part of MedStar Health’s digital team. While there certainly are challenges being a relatively new part of the organization, we also see... More

4. "working at medstar southern md hospital"

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time

Pros

I love my job AND THE PEOPLE ARE OKAY

Cons

Management is horrible and NO PAY

Advice to Management

get it together

5. "Nurse Practitioner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

academic environment, acuity, autonomy, urban environment, diversity of clientele

Cons

pay, schedule, resources, condition of the hospital, turnover

Mar 13, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your employment experience at MedStar Health. We strive to treat each individual, those we serve and those with whom we work, with the... More

"Role and team counts for a lot; clear mismatch in my case"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some bright human factors scientists and friendly junior teammates here. Most of the human factors group's projects are at least interesting, with a few potential game-changers. I got to spend a valuable portion of my time, about 8%, actually working in the healthcare system MI2 is attached to (MedStar Health)- for me, interviews and field observations for safety investigations were the most intellectually stimulating and rewarding part of the work.

On my team, a person could get a sturdy education in regulatory standards for human factors, and the expertise present on the team was clearly established and effective.

Cons

My experience on my immediate team was utterly broken due to a single senior teammate. The most optimistic interpretation of this person's behavior toward me is that they decided, after getting to know me, that I was not the right person for the role: I am an energetic, imaginative person with a drive to deeply comprehend the fundamentals and improve the processes of my work, and it seems they wanted a pliable, teachable person who could learn to work with their extreme expectations on details without being too meta-analytical or process improvement-oriented. They then behaved pretty absurdly in an effort to get rid of me (nonstop nitpicks that did not, separately or together, measurably improve the quality of the final product). I was holding up well under this onslaught, doing my job well and making sure my actual boss knew it, but it made me miserable to be there so I quit. I don't want to speak too broadly: it is possible that in their next hire attempts, this person may find exactly the "moldable clay" person that they're looking for, and it could be a match made in heaven. But it did not seem like my teammates particularly enjoyed working with this person either, so I don't think I'm crazy to note that a) I was treated pretty poorly when I should have been treated as a talented asset that perhaps belonged in a different role, and b) relatively few professionals would enjoy this person's approach to editing.

The work processes of my team did not use the most efficient, modern approaches, probably a function of this person's contentment with the status quo. The deliverables of my team were focused on measures of quality that were both superficial and obscure. A lot of time was spent dotting i's that I was not convinced mattered much to the client or regulators. It was frustrating how often we had to swallow the best actual products of our team's expertise due to the extreme narrowness of our scope.

As to the center at large, it is mostly doing incrementalist rather than transformative work. While this has proved a solid strategy for it to get grants, it feels like opportunities to study the most pressing human factors concerns in the healthcare system were not always being seized. The center was strong on getting human factors research dollars and serving external clients with medtech innovations, but its mission of championing both medical innovations and human factors safety principles in its own healthcare system seemed pretty moribund.

Advice to Management

Inventory the expectations of senior team members toward junior team members. It may be that they are appropriately set, and leaving the center was the right outcome for both me and the center, or it may be that they are unrealistic and that some teams may never gel as a result.

Mar 27, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with honest feedback about your employment experience at MedStar Health. We strive to treat each individual, those we serve and those with whom we work... More

7. "Research Program Manager"

Current Employee - Research Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Difficult to navigate the large system

Feb 27, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us about your work experience at MedStar Union Memorial. We’re pleased that you like the team-oriented atmosphere and will take note of your concerns about... More

8. "Education"

Pros

Excellence in education and training with a high level of support for research and opportunities for learning within the system.

Cons

Corporate practices on the rare occasion can interfere with optimal learning environment.

Feb 19, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience working at MedStar Union Memorial. We’re glad to learn that you’re satisfied with the opportunities for training and... More

"Medical assistant/ patient service coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to transfer to other departments, competitive pay

Cons

Employees are expected to do far more than what they are paid to do, and it does not seem appreciated. Never asked what can be done to make employment with the company better. Management had minimal knowledge on what to do during an employee exposure, but was more concerned with patient satisfaction than employee safety and well being. I understand that patient satisfaction is important, but employee safety should be more important. Management is most concerned about "picker scores" and making everyone else happy, except the employees. When asked about our opinions, we can give them but we are never heard.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, be more familiar with the policies and actually have employees follow them. It should be management's job to discipline employees, not the coworkers. Communicate and act on employee's concerns.

Feb 22, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

We truly appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share your honest feedback with us about working at MedStar Union Memorial. While the patient experience, competitive pay and the flexibility to grow... More

10. "Good Luck"

I have been working at MedStar Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

President has the right outlook on patient care.

Cons

-mid-level management is a joke, not held to any standard at all.
    -company code of conduct is only to be followed by low level employees, not providers
    -provided proof of lies, and improper billing practices, NOTHING WAS DONE!
    -USING IMPROPER TECHNIQUES TO STERILIZE EQUIPTMENT
    -providers not held to the same standard as other associates.
    -policies in place but no one follows them, or they bend the policy when they feel they want to.

Advice to Management

CLEAN HOUSE.......
    -allow true townhall with president of company, listening to the president speak i think he is amazing, its sad that i dont think he sees how deceptive mid-level management and most providers are.
    -No teamwork, clearly define everyones roles, dont allow providers feelings for staff to protect them when they are not preforming their very basic job duties.
    -Clearly define role of physicians, as their input is vital to success but when they blame all the problems on the lower level staff, when they themselves can't even produce to the minimum level, this is a problem, we lose all the best staff because of this issue.
    -listen to lower level staff before its too late!!!!

Mar 12, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist