MedTouch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Paul Griffiths

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is reasonably good - very seldom was I expected to work on nights or weekends" (in 4 reviews)

• "For me, this was a great place to work" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "the work we do matters, and for a relatively small company, we are making serious waves in our market" (in 4 reviews)

• "MedTouch is scrappy, if you're coming from a big company where process is done for you, this might not be the place for you" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to say, I love working for MedTouch. The culture is refreshing. People are driven to do the right thing. There is no internal politicking, and In September, the company held an Employee Appreciation Week where they went out of their way to appreciate everyone – nice touch. I find it rewarding to get to work on websites for hospitals across the country, including Newton Wellesley and Mass Eye and Ear just down the road here in Boston.

Cons

The commute into the city.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director, People + Culture

It’s great to hear that you can feel and see the impact that you’re making for individual clients and the larger healthcare industry! Our mission to bring digital transformation to healthcare can... More

"Stay far, far away"

I worked at MedTouch full-time

Pros

There were a handful of talented, friendly people. Office location at Assembly is great.

Cons

Brutal internal politics with plenty of backstabbing. Customers are typically unhappy because the product delivered never works properly, is rarely delivered on time and is inordinately expensive. There's one senior leader who is cancerous, and everyone knows it, but the CEO refuses to address. Sometimes uses shady business and HR practices. Stay away from this one.

Advice to Management

Clear out the cancer. Focus more on hiring the right people and on employee development and growth.

"Incompetently Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I worked at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MedTouch had the usual snacks and coffee.

The hours were generally flexible, and the option to work from home some of the time was available.

MT certainly knows how to sell. There's some charm and charisma at the top of the org chart, for sure. But you know, there are a lot of charming and charismatic used car salesmen, too.

Cons

As I see it, the early success of this company depended entirely on its being small and having a limited number of customers. It was only under those circumstances that MT’s deficiencies could be compensated for, that sales could continue, and that employee morale could be maintained.

Once the company grew beyond the amount of work that the core development team could handle, the deficiencies became glaring, and MT has been trying to recover ever since.

The two biggest deficiencies are:

- So-so Development Team. There are some people who are great at specific things, but there aren’t enough generalists who combine that deep knowledge in one area with an overall view of the architecture of a MT website, or of software in general.

- Awful Executives. The CEO made the mistake of hiring friends for some key management/executive positions, and while it's long been obvious to most employees at the bottom of the org chart that these people are simply not competent, the CEO is either unable to see it or unwilling to fix it, so those people linger, and in some cases, fail up to higher roles where their poor decisions can screw even more of the company.

Also, billable hours are such a stress-factor for employees, and they are often used against the most conscientious employees.

Advice to Management

Fire incompetent executives. Honestly, this will fix virtually everything else.

May 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Lead

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at MedTouch fell short of your expectations. That said, our development team does have an incredible depth of expertise and is actively working to transfer that... More

"Decent place to work, but not long term"

Former Employee - UI Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - UI Developer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good talent and good work life balance.

Cons

Work was boring and redundant, very little variety.

Nov 2, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Lead

We appreciate your willingness to share about your experience on our UI team. We know that building new designs is exciting and stimulating; we’re fortunate to have the opportunity to work on these... More

"Good place to learn and grow"

I have been working at MedTouch full-time

Pros

Small teams, opportunity to get attached to work if you want to get involved, ability to influence direction, office location, smart people

Cons

Lack of process/structure/support of a larger company

Sep 1, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed the opportunity to work with and learn from other teams – we love how this can help grow your career and strengthen our team as a whole!

"Great place to work!"

Pros

Very smart people, always push you to do your best and help you out when needed

Cons

Need to prioritize better

Aug 28, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Consistent feedback in collaboration is a central value in our company culture. It’s encouraging to hear that this helped to advance your skills and career during your time with us! Thanks for taking... More

"DO NOT join this company"

Former Employee - Senior JavaScript Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior JavaScript Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at MedTouch full-time

Pros

flexible working hours, free coffee.

Cons

If you are capable software engineer, DO NOT join this company. I made my mistake by joining them and it costed my H1B visa. They are a small company with bureaucracy of big company. They will throw you under the bus to avoid slightest possible risk. No need to talk to management, they are not the right people. The difference is a bridge too far.

Aug 2, 2017 – Director, People + Culture

Our team is aware of your situation and very sorry that this sponsorship process did not go according to plan. I know that this put you in a very difficult situation and while we worked with our... More

"The honest truth"

I worked at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not pointing out specific pros or cons, just giving some honest thoughts about the company.

From the time I joined MedTouch and through their initial growth, everyone working there felt valued, excited, and passionate about the work they were doing. There were dream teams lead by amazing peers, and the culture was everything you could hope for with company values that everyone truly believed in and cheered confidently at standing meetings.

After nearly doubling in size, MedTouch started to feel the growing pains of a company without scalable processes, and lacked the dedication and attention to detail they required to succeed with that inflation. These pains are what ultimately started to blur the once concrete vision and extinguish some of the passion and motivation in its employees. This became increasingly apparent when exceptional talent began to leave for other opportunities. I will give MedTouch credit in their ability to maintain morale during these times, but there was only so much damage control that could be done as more and more of your smart and hard working colleagues went out the door.

Eventually, the knee-jerk reaction to these mass exoduses was to implement new process after new process that, based on the lack of benefit they provided, only frustrated employees more. Heavy influence by a select few who constantly implemented careless and inefficient processes while being deaf to the incredible smart and intelligent resources available to them would eventually lead to more and more people walking out the door, or would impact the business to the point where massive lay-offs occurred. (There were two waves of lay offs during my time at MedTouch, and having groups of 3-4 announcing their notice at the same time was not uncommon.)

In all, I will say I enjoyed at least 60% of my time with MedTouch, and I did learn more than I anticipate. The company had, and still has great potential, but you can only be full of potential for so long before you become full of empty promises and disappointed employees. And there are only so many times you can hear, "I miss the way MedTouch used to be," before becoming discouraged yourself.

There is still really great talent and good people at MedTouch, and some members of leadership are brilliant and have the good business sense needed to make this company succeed. Unfortunately, these people are either shadowed by poor decision makers, blatantly ignored, or getting ready to see themselves out. I wish MedTouch all the best and only time will tell whether they have what it takes to reclaim the amazing values they once had.

Cons

The other reviews written on here below spoke well to the cons and challenges. Few have been resolved, many still existed today.

Jun 5, 2017 – Director, People + Culture

Thank you for the time that you took to write about your experience at MedTouch. We have been through seasons of significant growth and change over the past couple years and will be the first to say... More

"Desperate for change"

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many wonderful, smart, hard-working people. MedTouch has an embarrassment of riches.

Cons

The embarrassment in those riches is the fact that a small number of people at the top have been allowed to bring this company to its knees. It isn't too late but soon it will be. The CEO needs to be decisive and show his loyal employees that he will no longer tolerate the toxic politics that have been rampant. This doesn't have to be the end of what was once a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Please be bold and address the long-standing issues. This company could be great again - but only if you make the tough choices. Be brave and do what's needed.

Jun 5, 2017 – CEO + Founding Partner

I agree that people at MedTouch are abundantly wonderful, smart, and hard-working. It has always been our mission to both elevate and empower the talent that we have in our teams. Change is tough on... More

"Truth is in the Cons"

I worked at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are still really trying.

Cons

All the cons mentioned below are valid.

Advice to Management

Two years ago you trusted your employees and they trusted you, go back to what you were doing then.

Jun 5, 2017 – Director, People + Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It sounds like during your time with MedTouch you experienced some changes in the dynamics of relationship and communication. I’m saddened to hear the ways that... More