MedTouch Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Griffiths

1. Featured Review

"Meaningful work, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked and grown my career substantially at MedTouch. What makes this company special is the meaning behind what we do for our clients and our leaders' commitment to making MedTouch a great place to work and be.

MedTouch is driven by a constant desire to improve and grow. This means lots of opportunities for growth and advancement and a culture of honesty and feedback. There is a sincere desire to do the right thing by our clients and employees, every day.

The work is meaningful, impactful, and constantly changing. There truly is never a dull day in any position here.

The type of people who work here are passionate about healthcare and the work we do. It's a high-touch and supportive environment that puts culture and people first.

Cons

Because of the nature of our work and the industry we serve our margins are not as big as some other technology companies getting round after round of outside funding. This is a self-funded company (which is part of the magic). However, this sometimes leads to less investment of money and time into longer term initiatives that would help build community, advance training, etc.

Don't get me wrong - there are events, great perks, and a wonderful sense of community already. There's just opportunity for more, especially as we continue to grow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, this place truly is special. However, don't be afraid to be generous. The gesture of investing in community and in your employees goes a long way and will help cultivate the type of culture I think this company is aiming to maintain and build.

"It's not just "Toxic Emotional Negativity""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

There are good, hardworking employees here. The focus on crafting sites for this particular sector (hospitals and healthcare) has potential to run very efficiently if the issues in management can be corrected.

Terrific at recruiting and developing new talent -- very open to helping people along their career path, if not retaining them afterward.

Cons

Very superficial. Management cares much more about appearing profitable than actual value.

You will be asked to track billable hours very precisely, but there is no standard on how to do it. This affects every aspect of the business, usually by punishing people who report their workload accurately; alternately for working too much or not appearing to work enough (with no regard to efficiency). You'll be repeatedly reminded of the ultimate importance of timesheets -- including a weekly ritual of shaming -- but the training on timesheets is insufficient and sometimes outright wrong. They train everyone in the organization as if they are a PM; developers, service PMs, CRMs, everyone.

There are good developers here but it seems like there's no understanding of developer culture from the top down. As a result, the competent people are overworked, and historically incompetent people can lurk for a long time, pretending to have knowledge and never getting called out on it. In fairness, this may have changed with the recent reshuffle.

Upper management will meddle and force project managers who know better to crunch product schedules, then walk away holding everyone but themselves responsible for the delay. They will periodically bring in consultants to address this issue, and proceed to ignore all of the advice they paid for. The folks who actually build the products end up with the blame.

There is a "culty" push toward guru-style business seminar wisdom that is profoundly unhelpful. It seems like management would rather stigmatize "toxic emotional negativity" than listen to warning signs from within their organization.

Advice to Management

Keep your tech talent happy, keep your clients happy, and keep a nice wide buffer between the two. This starts by removing the practice of dropping in at the last minute. Focus on your actual value proposition; without production talent, you're just a middleman.

People complain. Sometimes without reason, it's true! But by plugging your ears and blaming the messenger, you risk missing valuable feedback from your own people. Value your people's opinions and be prepared to change your own habits as the company grows.

"No, just no"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time — if you have no meetings.

Cons

Not worth your time or effort — look at the review snapshot graph over time. As a current employee, I'm looking forward to jumping ship as soon as possible, like many of my colleagues.

Advice to Management

Make a fundamental management change, specifically to address the evangelical problem discussed in other reviews.

"Growing Company"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at MedTouch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people at MedTouch who really care about doing the best they can. People will work long hours and give and give and give here and they really do care about each other like a family. There's plenty of work to do and it's a great culture.

Cons

They are really lacking in efficient processes for project management and structured growth. Leadership can sometimes "swoop" in trying to "help," but the team would be better served by having quality tools as well as efficient processes to report up issues.

Advice to Management

Get some good project management software that PMs can use efficiently. Hire someone who really knows about digital project management in a leadership role. CEO- keep being really awesome

"It really IS as good as it sounds"

Current Employee - Technical/Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technical/Developer in Cambridge, MA

Pros

I've worked at MedTouch for a little over a year now, and agree fully with any and all reviews that identify MedTouch as a great place to work, full of genuine + extremely talented people, and on an absolute rocket sled of company growth. I have never worked with a more talented group of individuals who are so driven to succeed, and yet selflessly celebration eachother's accomplishments on a regular basis.

There is a lot of opportunity for growth at MedTouch. This is both a function of the company growth (all fueled by an outstanding sales team and brilliant market strategy) and the culture of recognition + celebration. You will be provided many opportunities to be heard and contribute to the success of the company, and when you do, you will be rewarded.

I realize this review could come off as too pristine and perfect, but I promise it's a reflection of my perspective. If you're someone who wants to do your best work and advance your career, while working for a company and vision that you believe in, MedTouch will give you that opportunity.

Cons

Growth is hard, but doesn't feel as taxing when you genuinely feel like you are contributing to the growth, and believe in the vision. Being spread out across offices can be difficult, but I recognize that every effort has been made by the senior leadership team to reduce those headaches.

Advice to Management

Those of us churning out the client work are working extremely hard to keep up with growth and the expectations of quality that the MedTouch brand brings. We know that you are working every bit as hard, if not harder, to ensure that our work is recognized and that no one becomes frustrated as we continue to scale up. Keep up the great work!

"Great company, lots of potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing surpasses the value that a sincerely committed CEO can bring in setting a positive culture/ tone from the top. In the case of MedTouch CEO Paul Griffiths, he really has a special blend of qualities which enable the company to hire and keep great employees. The culture is collaborative, committed to appreciating and respecting its employees and generally promotes a relaxed, fun culture. The company is / was growing a lot, industry-leading in the space it's in. Felt very startup-like in most aspects and enables individuality and growth. Smart teammates who generally lack big company egos made it an easy place to make friends and enjoy even off-hour time with co-workers. Everyone worked hard, but work-life balance was very good for most employees outside senior leadership. Boston is a very competitive talent community with a lot of opportunities for smart people, particularly in tech. That said, MedTouch should be seriously considered by anyone looking for the qualities above, as it stands shoulder to shoulder with some of the better known tech / digital marketing shops in town.

Cons

MedTouch can feel more like a family than a business at times, and leadership decisions often reflect that. This led to putting off hard, but possibly beneficial business decisions in some cases where individuals' sensitivities may have been offended (i.e. restructuring teams, changing roles etc.). Over-communication and analysis paralysis / decision by committee were common, though not dominant themes. That said, most of this was born out of the company being so close knit and genuinely concerned about valuing individual perspectives.

Advice to Management

Harmonize culture across offices in your pursuit of One MedTouch. With 5 offices across the country, employment experiences can vary widely. Get performance goals in place across teams to drive greater accountability, recognition and rewards. Provide direct access for employees to get face time with seniormost leadership, especially CEO. Be willing to make hard HR/ people management changes even when involving senior management. A fair-minded and politics-free culture should also mean that no individual should be seen as "above the law," or take personally any feedback or decisions which are rooted in the best interest of the business.

"Fast-growing company that is innovative, transparent and social."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at MedTouch (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture
    Transparency across the organization
    Willingness to listen and work as teams

Cons

Not sure there are any or many. The biggest challenge might be to balance and keep the existing culture while growing.

"A bit like working at Pleasantville"

Former Employee - Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at MedTouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone has a smile and is cheerful and kind. Good bunch of people. Happy vibe.

Cons

1) The Morning Cheer
    Every morning they make everyone gather in a room, line up, and shout the company cheer (which changes depending on the day...). It's an embarrassing ritual for adults to be subjected to...And at least to me, it was creepy.

2) Lowballing Salaries if they Can
    Careful -- you might get lowballed. It's unfortunate but the management has lowballed several employees significantly under their market value. In every case I've seen there has been some weakness in the employees personality (too nice, etc) or personal circumstance (foreigner, female, etc) that I'm guessing management picks up on and maybe tries to capitalize on. It has nothing to do with skill level which is always pretty high. Other employees who fight for their salary during negotiations get paid what they are worth.

Advice to Management

Stop the morning 'cheer' routine. It's a pointless gimmick that ironically works against its intended goal of team-building because it makes you employees a company that puts them through such a kindergarten-level charade. Treat employees like the adults they are. Otherwise you're going to be seen as a cult with a scary perpetual smile on its face.

MedTouch Response

Aug 25, 2015 – CEO + Founding Partner

First, thank you for your feedback. We work hard on our culture and, in the last year, we have done more to explain our values and the culture we’re trying to create. (Though I am perplexed on how to ... More

"My Review of MedTouch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Wonderful company headed in the right direction! Really great culture and leadership

Cons

Growing fast and experiencing growing pains. All to be expected

"Very close to a triple bottom line ran company"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was seeking a triple bottom line mentality employer when I received a call from MedTouch. I knew nothing about this company so immediately browsed the company website to learn more.

As a Lean Startup Evangelist, I was immediately attracted to how MedTouch measures everything they deliver to their clients. Furthermore, their case studies were also very appealing to me. Each one was vastly different, which told me that this is an innovation and value-driven organization. They also kept up with the times. This was exactly what I was looking for in my next employer. I wanted to work for a company that operated with a Lean Startup mentality.

Next, I perused what real employees said about MedTouch on Glassdoors.com. More good news, the employees seemed to be very happy working there. What I read about the MedTouch culture reminded of my very fond years working under famous founders Sam Walton and Bob Parsons. Another reason to consider MedTouch for my next career move.

My 1st in-person interview was my next favorable experience. Not only was it very conversational, I was also treated to a tour of this amazing work space. The ceilings are high, the décor is very up-to-date and everyone has easy access to large windows that can be easily shaded if needed. Most impressive, is the focus on ergo-dynamics. All employees have workstations that can be converted into standing work spaces. It is also very easy to adjust computer monitor heights to whatever your comfortable with. They even have a treadmill workstation for those who like to exercise while they work.

My on-boarding trip to Cambridge MA was when I began to realize my decision to join the MedTouch team was the right one. The key component for continuous software quality assurance improvements is a company culture where everyone takes pride in delivering quality and value to end users. While in Cambridge, I had the opportunity to meet with all of the people who are involved with developing software solutions for MedTouch clients. I was taken away by how everyone cared deeply about delivering value to customers. However, after meeting the company CEO and hearing what drives him to lead MedTouch, I knew I made the right decision to join MedTouch.

When I returned back to Cedar Rapids I felt very connected with my colleagues in Cambridge. I also had a good sense of where I needed to focus my attention. I looked forward to many fun and engaging years of relentlessly seeking the most effective ways to deliver value to MedTouch clients.

Just to give you an idea about how much employees are valued, even the on-boarding experience is continuously improved. Each new employee is asked to provide feedback and suggestions for improving their on-boarding experience. Much of the innovative aspects of my on-boarding experience was from prior employee suggestions. Furthermore, happiness survey's are a regular part of operations. On a monthly basis, results of these surveys and actions taken to improve happiness are shared with everyone in the company. MedTouch leaders place a high priority on employee happiness even during growing pains.

In regards to the triple bottom line aspects of MedTouch, from what I just explained, measuring the company impact on profits and people are very much followed. In fact, each employee is allocated $500 in Kiva loan funds to loan to Kiva charities, many of which are eco-smart, sustainability efforts. The managing partner in Cedar Rapids is also very eco-smart. We now have a comprehensive recycling program at the office. Measuring the company impact on the planet is not being done yet but may be a future consideration to further the innovation-driven culture.

Cons

Using a time tracking-oriented system for software development project management.

Advice to Management

Consider using agile software development methodologies to facilitate building collaborative relationships with clients.