Medallia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Medallia CEO & Co-Founder Borge Hald
Borge Hald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture and great atmosphere in the London office (in 24 reviews)

• The company offers a decent work/life balance in several (but not all) teams (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • not much work-life balance at this moment (in 15 reviews)

• Growing pains are natural, but can create discomfort (in 23 reviews)

"Manager, professional services"

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture. Simply the best I've experienced

Cons

Private company therefore resources can be tight.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job!!!

"Come for the comp, stay for the culture"

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accepting culture
    Encouraging mentors
    Cooperative orgs
    Flexible career paths

Cons

Culture clearly not pervasive/consistent in some silos
    Expect to have to work ~50 hours in a week during 3-4 critical months

Advice to Management

You were probably hired for your personal brand, so adopting the "vulnerability" approach may seem unnecessary or inconvenient. But the people reporting to you absolutely appreciate it when you do strive to use it as the driving force behind your management. They all discuss it when you leave the room, and they'll idolize you for that sort of respect and honesty. It even mobilizes the least proactive of us.

"Company still going through some growing pains."

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Medallia has a unique culture that is hard to explain. Very flexible work from home policy which is an excellent perk in this crazy Bay Area traffic. Compensation is competitive. Depending on time but work and life balance is very good. Company is still growing and expanding into different markets.

Cons

Too many escalations. Sometimes it feels like there are too many chefs and not enough Indians. People need to be more accountable and take more ownership. There can be a lack of urgency.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. As we keep growing and hiring more people, it’s important that we remember what it means to be a Medallian. There will be bumps along the way but the journey is the reward, not the destination. Keep your employees engage and happy. Let’s turn CEM market into the next CRM. We can all do this together if everyone believes in the company and it’s mission.

"Sales Director"

Former Employee - Sales Director
    Former Employee - Sales Director

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was never pushed harder professionally. I'll be forever thankful for the learning and skills gained. I now have a new definition of "stress."

Cons

Out of 22 sales reps in my new-hire orientation, 75% or more of them left within 6 months and I only know ONE that is still at the organization 2 years later.

Let me repeat that...

Out of 30 sales reps in my new-hire orientation, 75% or more of them left within 6 months and I only know ONE that is still at the organization 2 years later.

Don't be fooled by the IPO talks...they have been going on for 5+ years now since the old PTC management team took over (all of which are gone now...). A handful of reps are making HUGE well deserved money, however, its sink or swim. Just know what you are going into...

They claimed the average rep is fully ramped in 6 months during my interview process. Comical. I know about 30 reps who didn't sell a dime in over a year and left.

Advice to Management

Set expectations properly during the interview process. The sales culture is vastly different than the Palo Alto company culture.

Medallia Response

May 11, 2018 – VP, Americas Sales

Thanks for the feedback -- and for your willingness to call out very clearly both what worked (learning and skill development) and what didn’t. It’s clear that, on balance, your experience wasn’t... More

"Fantastic Culture, Product, and Future"

Current Employee - Director Sales
    Current Employee - Director Sales

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cultural values support growth of high value/high impact solution. I had noticed some negative trends in the sales org, but leadership took action and has rebuilt a values driven, high quality team. The solution and product roadmap are spot on. Customers love the customer and financial results they see working with Medallia. Great talent. Very family friendly, flexible. Very easy to collaborate virtually. ONLY solution that works for companies looking at >1000 users.

Cons

It's kind of a pro, too, but Medallia is making so many improvements, it's a little hard to keep up with certain changes to internal processes, product releases, etc. That said, when you need to know something teams are willing to invest time and training to help out.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

"Culture is a myth and just a marketing tool. Not a company for engineers"

Current Employee - SSE
    Current Employee - SSE

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free food, close to the train station. Good office.

Cons

This company is good for managers. They can say speak or write anything without being accountable to the engineers under them. They are more like a boss who cannot be questioned. HR is powerless and is trained to protect the manager in case an issue happens. Managers are not accountable for their actions towards their engineers. So to keep yourself safe the best choice is to be a silent sufferer. They have their set way of technically doing things and are not welcome to new approaches. They are selling a culture that does not exist. For engineers, if you are a good coder you will get frustrated. Most managers are experienced and think that they are in control of your lives.

Advice to Management

STOP talking about a culture that does not exist. Work towards building a culture of equality.

Medallia Response

May 4, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Hello, I encourage you to set up a 1:1 meeting with me. I am interested in your input and learning more about your experiences. I hope you give me an opportunity to listen to your feedback and... More

"Promotes immature, impatient and inexperienced leaders or shuffles ineffective ones on to “special projects”"

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are fair for the Bay area.

Mission is still a big part of why I stayed. I really identified with it and felt like I was making a difference for customers everywhere.

People for the most part are kind and helpful.

New office in San Mateo is beautiful and thoughtfully designed.

Software is solid and fun to configure. Big moves to modernize and scale what we do, and we have some of the best engineers and Ops people in the industry.

Global offices were established with hard work, blood, sweat and tears. They have been Aarons for a while now, unlike other companies who quickly shutter low performers. They're truly a global company.

Cons

Professional Services still hasn't figured out how to employ a staffing model that doesn’t burn through people. Each manager is split into 7-10 projects and teams. Teams are global yet they are all split into 10-15 projects. At the same time, we have to pretend that we work for one client and give the perception that we are 100% focused on each special snowflake. Take a look at the individual squads where people have left for other companies or other departments. Most of them were amazing managers and analysts but decided not to continue getting abused by colleagues and clients. Having actual conversations is frowned upon. Instead you will succeed by sucking up to those above you and keeping quiet. No innovative conversations allowed.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being quick to change up leadership for the better. Now it's time to do the same in PS.

"Quite the experience."

I worked at Medallia full-time

Pros

Fast-growth company that offers loads of potential and opportunity for personal and career growth.

Cons

Big disconnect between older Medallians and newer Medallians relationship and cultural wise.

Advice to Management

Take the time to value your teams. Everyone has something valuable to bring to the table when the time arises.

"Great company, lots of energy"

Former Employee - Research and Development
    Former Employee - Research and Development

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medallia has a great culture. There is a healthy mix of gender, ethnicity, and culture background. The management cares about its employees and take visible effort to ensure everyone feels comfortable in the workplace.

Cons

The move from Palo Alto to San Mateo was a hurried decision. As a result, many employees who cannot relocate left the company.

10. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve only been here a few months but it is one of the best places to work! The culture is refreshing, honest, and I love the vision of the company.

Having worked with multiple teams and seeing a recent voice-of-employee survey— I think the data shows must people are really happy.

I’ve noticed some reviews that say there are fake reviews and I think it’s because some teams have had more changes than others in particular in PS. I hope identify and fix that ASAP since I actually feel sad that some of my coworkers may feel this way.

Some pros:
    - great company vision
    - strong leadership at least in my org
    - smart people to work with
    - good benefits
    - always something fun each week
    - catered lunches
    - good healthy snacks

Cons

There could always be something better and Medallia is no exception

Cons
    - some organizations have more problems than others but I get the impression these are getting fixed
    - the catered lunches are ok. Not like awesome but decent.
    - Medallia is into super healthy everything so no junk food at all.. I’m starting to miss it but I get my body is probably more appreciative in the long run
    - Work-life balance — probably depends group by group but it could be better. That said - love what I do.
    - Growing pains: the company is growing so fast that I think it’s going thru pains as it scales. While I’ve gone thru this before — I doubt other people have so they don’t realize it’s normal to have challenges as companies shift gears to grow.

Advice to Management

- Continue to listen to your employees
    - Communicate goals and objectives more often. People have to hear it multiple times.