Medallia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Medallia President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Stretch
Leslie Stretch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great learning environment, and great culture" (in 25 reviews)

• "The company offers a decent work/life balance in several (but not all) teams" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work /life balance as we gear up for potential IPO" (in 15 reviews)

• "Some growing pains with organization now over 1000 employees" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunity with normal growing pains"

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company prospects are great. We have product / market fit verified/recognized by top analyst in the space. The customer brand names, retention, and ACV per is just amazing! 1st class. Smart, smart, smart talent.

Cons

Perhaps waiting too long before transitioning from 'startup' to late stage/mature company. Taking too long to make hard but necessary decisions for the greater good of the company in the past but that seems to improving.

"Exciting NTM!"

Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My fellow Medallians are great! The mission we're delivering on each day is exciting and feels important. I'm also very hopeful for the future with our new CEO, Leslie!

Cons

For me, the constant change and challenges is really exciting and I'm getting the most amazing experience being a part of it all. However, this could cause anxiety for people who are not up for this level of ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Leslie, you are making a lot of tough changes but we need this. I also appreciate how open and direct you are. Keep going!

"Ok experience but a lot of new changes."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and Humble co-workers
    - Modern tech stack
    - Laid back culture
    - Customer base has some of the best know brands
    - Market still lots of opportunities for growth
    - New CEO so hopefully he can turn things around

Cons

- There can be a lack of accountability and urgency
    - Growth is slowing down
    - Uncertainty with new management
    - Some good people were let go
    - Lots of tech debt

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and take your competitor in Utah more serious. Lesie was brought on to make the hard decisions and growth should be his #1 priority. Hopefully the company turns around as there are a lot of good people left. Be more transparent and take care of your people. Good luck on the IPO!

"Growing Pains & Lack of Transparency"

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is likely going public soon

Cons

All of the comments on growing pains are real as well as inexperienced leadership. Promotions aren’t very clear and seem to be done based on popularity rather than performance.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent

Nov 10, 2018 – EVP & Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback on your experience at Medallia.

To offer perspective on the process applied for job leveling and promotions, Medallia evaluates several factors when considering... More

"Promotes people based on race even when it is obvious they are inexperienced and have no clue on what they are doing."

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are nice and that’s one of the reasons why I have stayed.
    I really identified with it and felt like I was making a difference for customers everywhere and was forming a strong relationship between departments.

Cons

There are race issues at Medallia and are intolerable and just wrong. It’s sad to see people without experience being promoted while the ones that are driving the team to success are being left behind because of age and race or just because they are quite and just do their job.

Advice to Management

Create a fair environment where people are being recognized for their arduous work and not because they may have good relationships with upper management

Nov 2, 2018 – Director, Inclusion & Employee Relations

Thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that we take the concerns you’ve shared on Glassdoor very seriously.

At Medallia, we are committed to a fair and equitable environment, where all... More

"New ERA"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new CEO, Leslie Stretch, is decisive and is focused on the big picture. He's transparent and shares news with the entire company. He's actionable and is already demonstrating accountability to employees. He's brought urgency.
    Willingness to make hard decision and lead change. Strong ELT. Very excited about the future.

We have a world class F500 customer. I was blown away at our customer conference by the brands that stood up and talked about Medallia and transformation.

Medallia Execs are easy to engage. Low Mnt.

We get to work with change makers at our customers daily. There is such a partnership between customers and Medallians.

Cons

Hopeful benefits will improve. We work really hard.
    4pm Cal Train deadline - hard to reach out people if you are outside of San Mateo

Advice to Management

Sales / AM sellers are working hard, but comp doesn't always align to the barriers our of our control we often have to sell around on a daily basis.

Unclear on career options

"Understaffed and undertrained"

I have been working at Medallia full-time

Pros

People- most people are kind, smart, hardworking people.

Cons

Medallia suffers from a culture of gas-lighting masquerading as “growth-mindset.” The truth is, there are very *few* people who actually know the product, but the bulk of the work is the blind leading the blind. There’s such an emphasis on “quality” but training and enablement is increasingly de-emphasized. Initial product training used to be two weeks and is now majority online, support office hours are 15 minutes a slot and get booked up before the week even starts, and you’re harassed if your billability goes down for supplemental training, which, ironically rarely actually teaches you the product. Most people I talk to feel totally overstretched with no support.

Advice to Management

Leslie, if you’re going to keep talking about how great of a product we have, you’re eventually going to have to back it up with people who know how to use it.

Nov 9, 2018 – SVP, Professional Services

Hello and thank you for providing feedback about your experience.

While I appreciate the perspective, I disagree with your view regarding product knowledge. I’m incredibly proud of our... More

"Medallia is finally facing up"

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO !! Been there before. Understands the space. Appears to knows what needs to be done to take the company to future greatness. Action-oriented. Not afraid of making tough calls.

The product sits in an incredible space.

A lot of leading brands using the product

Cons

Too many people, for too long have been fixated on the IPO. There is real momentum towards this now so nobody needs to whisper it in the corridors anymore.
    Benefits are not where they need to be to attract the very top talent or those planning for their retirement - No 401k matching
    Opportunities to move up or around the organisation are not easily found. Hard to map out your career.
    Been a few too many changes above my pay grade recently for a number of reasons. Hopefully, this has bottomed out.

Advice to Management

The company coupled with a world-class product should be hitting the 4+'s at least on these rankings. Unfortunately, something within us, up to now has been holding us back. Now with Leslie onboard we can really start to build a world-class organization on top of the product.

The changes were needed. Now let's push on.

"Lack of inexperienced people managers"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maybe there will be an IPO

Cons

I’ve watched grade inflation across multiple organizations with people getting promoted to people management roles without understanding what it entails. Since it happened across the board, Medallia at best has mediocre people management and at worst toxic managers who mistake micromanagement for good management. Realize that the needs of a college grad are different from folks with experience

Advice to Management

I’m not sure if management can actually help but I’d recommend asking people who aren’t homegrown medallians for feedback on how to improve people managers. This will enable to to realize people’s full potential and reduce unnecessary feedback and micromanagement

Nov 8, 2018 – VP, Talent & Employee Experience

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback and perspective on people managers at Medallia.

To respond directly, I’ll share that, as Medallia has grown quickly so too have we grown our people manager... More

"Good company for a first job"

Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Experienced leadership
    - Solid revenue growth
    - Strong emphasis on culture and inclusion

Cons

- Politics play a part in upward mobility
    - Company focus is on sales rather than product/engineering
    - Office is in San Mateo