Medcor "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Medcor Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

3.6
Medcor President & CEO Philip Seeger (no image)
Philip Seeger
Pros
Cons
  • "Rumors were spread by upper management about personal lives and inappropriate(in 9 reviews)

• "No cons that come to mind other than would appreciate longer hours(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Great job if you like working from home"

Current Employee - Telephone Triage Nurse

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

I love working from home, working very independently, I love the supportive attitudes from the other people I work with, the variety of people I get to deal with, not having to deal with commuting, or parking or hospital politics

Cons

Can be difficult to get time off sometimes, benefits not quite as good as a hospital

Advice to Management

Would love a little lower health insurance premiums, and would love to have a program available to earn CE, but generally really enjoy working here

Medcor2019-09-11
  2. "Top notch company!"

Former Employee - Telephonic Triage Leadership in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medcor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Innovative, dynamic environment giving nurses the option to do what they love while working from home. Culture is geared towards constant improvement opportunities to provide direct support, celebrate successes, and engage team members. Leadership is approachable and makes decisions fairly to balance company and individual needs. Some of the very best people I have ever had the privilege to work alongside-truly the blue pieces on the Monopoly board!

Cons

There were no specific cons that would outweigh the pros for me personally-I highly suggest you research and explore this company and its benefits to see if it is a fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Medcor2019-08-23

"Great people, poor leadership"

I worked at Medcor full-time

Pros

Work from home for triage positions, wellness reimbursements and program

Cons

Doesn't feel like corporate leadership cares, benefits suck

Advice to Management

Improve the benefits and communication, and lets hear from leadership once in a while

Medcor2019-06-25

"Innovative Company Poorly Led"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Medcor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Growing company with potential -Nice wellness program -Corporate perks (workout room, snacks, cookouts) -Good opportunity to get corporate experience -Innovative idea with an inspirational vision In some departments: -Work from home, care about work/life balance -Value your opinion and your work

Cons

In some departments -Set you up to fail, sink or swim -Lack of communication but lots of micromanagement -Ask for initiative but never guide you in the right direction -Remote employees feel disconnected from company -Promote undeserving people or lack of a promotion opportunity GENERALLY -Care for clients much more than employees -Uncompetitive pay, benefits and PTO are a joke -Lots of turnover, talented but overworked middle management -Blatant nepotism

Advice to Management

-Offer more competitive salary, better PTO and a real benefits package -Listen to employees, let them expand on their ideas, not just yours -Better communication, trust the employees you hire -Promote innovators and people with ideas, eliminate the nepotism -Find better ways to include remote employees in company events -Make sure your employees know how valuable they are, reward hard work and do it with a REAL reward -Ditch the western thing. You are based in Illinois, not the west. Competitors are laughing at you. No one likes wearing the cowboy hats. One of Medcor’s subsidiaries is Native American owned!

Medcor2018-11-30

"Triage Nurse"

I worked at Medcor full-time

Pros

I think the only pro is being able to work from home so you can control the lighting and environment. They offer some pretty great wellness incentives, that’s about it.

Cons

This company micromanages every single thing a nurse does. If you’re taking a little longer to wrap up a call and take notes, you’ll have the supervisor messaging you asking what’s taking so long. You get an attitude from the majority of the supervisors if you ask to use the bathroom in your own home (even if it’s basically the first time you’ve ever gone on a nonscheduled break and it only takes 1 minute). There’s no flexibility at all, you basically cannot take vacations if you’re new. They nitpick on the most ridiculous things while in training.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, only hire people you can really trust. Train the shift supervisors to not guilt trip for asking for a 1 minute bathroom run. An employee should never feel guilty for asking to use the restroom quickly in their own home. You need to find a better balance for remote employees.

Medcor2018-05-21

"Triage RN"

I have been working at Medcor

Pros

Great culture, great company, opportunity for advancement. Work from home.

Cons

Miss socialization of working aoff site.

Medcor2018-03-29

"Lofty goals, poor management solutions"

Current Employee - Triage Nurse in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Medcor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, select your own shift, only handle one client at a time, good wellness incentives, decent benefits

Cons

-Terrible PTO (only 13 days per year until you've been there 5 years and they don't grant requests in full unless you submit it a year in advance). PTO doesn't carry over, & it's not earned based on hours worked like most hospitals. -Poor pay for an RN at only $26 per hour. After working at a hospital you will most likely have to work OT to bring home what you're used to. -Inadequate leave policies. Triage RNs are not eligible for FMLA leave. They employ many young women, but refuse to provide any maternity leave. Instead, they allow a short term, unpaid disability leave with no guarantee of a job when you return. -Micromanagement. You're constantly monitored and only get a 20-min and a 10- min break in an 8-hr shift. Any extra requests for getting up for restroom breaks or a glass of water are frowned upon at best, and at worst, penalized.

Advice to Management

As a company, you should be ashamed that nurses are having to beg coworkers to cover shifts for them because you refuse to grant them a day off for their child's surgery, with more than enough advance notice given. I've had nurses offer to pay me an additional $20 per hour to take their shift because they're so desperate to not have to cancel their $10,000 Disney vacation because you won't give them 3 hours off on a Wednesday. That's pathetic, and that is your fault. If you really appreciated your employees you would never let that happen. You are taking a group of people who are used to submitting a schedule request 2-3 months in advance so they can plan around their lives and tying them down to a computer with no schedule flexibility whatsoever and no real PTO (offering 13 days per year but refusing to grant it when requested does NOT count as giving us PTO). No wonder you're hemorrhaging nurses out the eyeballs. Many of your RNs are Millennials, and we value freedom, flexibility, and spontaneity over Spartan schedules and micromanagement. We want to be able to travel with our families. At this job, we have no possibility of ever taking off more than a day on a weekend because there is so little PTO available and what we have is never granted in full. Many of us would benefit from a mental health day every now and then, because the micromanagement and angry, rude clients really get to you after a while. You want to decrease ECW? Add more breaks. It seems like management is so far removed from the wants and habits of nurses that they have no idea how any of us really feel. They're wondering why they lose thousands constantly training nurses who leave as soon as they discover how this company really works. Take an active role in obtaining anonymous suggestions and feedback so we don't feel like we'll be targeted if we speak openly. Change your scheduling methods. Requiring every other weekend is fine - that's normal for nursing. Maybe set 3 shifts (3am-11am, 11am-7pm, 7pm-3am), allow nurses to select their shift, and make the schedule so that we can request time off 2 months in advance and actually be granted that time. You can still offer incentive hours. It's very obvious that the schedule is all over the place with you guys trying to fit people in according to their specified available times. We don't want such huge flexibility with specific hours available... We want flexibility with our time off so we can have lives too.

Medcor2018-03-15

"Telephonic Triage Nurse"

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

Really great company to work for. Friendly and helpful. Pay is decent considering you are working from home.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

Medcor2018-02-01

"Triage Nurse"

Former Employee - RN in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medcor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. No commute, work from home.

Cons

There are always 10+ callers in the que. You are constantly slammed with calls. You only get 20 min break in an 8 hr shift split in 5, 10 min increments. You have to ask for permission for EVERYTHING including bathroom breaks. MICROMANAGING. The supervisors watch your every move and if you are wrapping up a call too long they email you and ask what are you doing? Speaking of supervisors, the supervisors ARE NOT NURSES. They are CNAs. Yes, YOUR superiors are not nurses. I'm not kidding. Even the manager is not a nurse. Low retention rate. Pay is only 26/hr. You will rarely get to use your pto, forget about it. You take calls from all over the United States and on a good day you only have about 30-40 nurses on I've seen as low as 7!! For the entire United States.

Advice to Management

Nurses as Managers. More flexibility for pto.

Medcor2017-10-08
  10. "Great Company, Benefits, Clients, Advocates, and Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

- Benefits (Health, Vision, Dental), Wellness Program and Reimbursement, Work/Life Balance - Work From Home Depending on Position - Great Customer Service - Great Clients - Fortune 500 Companies - Good Pay and Yearly Performance Reviews - Great Mission Statement - Evidence-based Medicine - Corporate Office staff willing to help anytime with anything - Leadership and Management

Cons

Can't think of any at this time

Advice to Management

They care about its people and the work we do. Saving lives everyday.

Medcor2017-03-01