Medecision Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Medecision President & CEO Deborah M. Gage
Deborah M. Gage

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of employees get to work from home and yet we are still a close knit and cohesive unit (in 13 reviews)

• Flexibility allows for work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge but a lot of this can be controlled by employees setting their own boundaries based on their own preference (in 12 reviews)

• In some instances, there are elements of senior management to whom the word "help" means "do the job for me while I look on" (in 9 reviews)

"Most racist & ill managed company ever"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA

Pros

Some of the employees at MEDecision honestly wanted to improve the company.

Cons

1) No corporate values: Most companies have a mantra or a set of values by which they conduct business. MEDecision has no such value system and it shows. Additionally, they seem to be rather proud of the fact that they have no core values.

2) MEDecison is more like a fraternity than a company: Middle managers are rather crafty at keeping upper management in the dark. Since upper management has little to no tech nor hands on business training, keeping them in the dark is quite easy. Typically, middle managers in the systems & development areas would simply lie about the direction or solution for a project. And, would even go as far as to point fingers at other departments as being the cause of a problem. When the truth is that the middle manager is simply not skilled enough or harbors some type of personal contempt.

3) Robbing Peter to pay Paul: Overall, MEDecision is not a financially sound company. Because of its overwhelming debt from the past few years, they have had to be very "liberal" with their commitment to clients by double billing clients and grossly over extending employees. While their new owners have helped slightly, it is obvious that the issue is deeper than they can handle.

4) MEDecision is the only company in its industry that has an unspoken policy of not recruiting people of color nor women for executive positions. As noted on their site: http://medecision.com/Content.aspx?cid=4.1 Additionally, their HR department is proud to say that they have a Neanderthal's approach to professional development.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone & start over. This time, institute drug testing of employees and Pre-employment Personality Tests to weed out divisive personalities.

"A disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

Pros

Great people who want to do a good job
    Travel experienced was exactly as advertised
    Growing company

Cons

Awful work/life balance
    Sales team sells features that do not exist
    Customers not satisfied/product not where it needs to be

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at the sources of issues, not the symptoms
    Take the time to plan

3. "“ok, not great”"

I worked at Medecision full-time

Pros

They gave me a great salary. Also, there's some really smart people there, who know so much about technology. Additionally, open source software is not just tolerated; it's used almost everywhere. The people are pretty fun to be around too.

Cons

Management is not good, overall. Some managers are awesome, don't get me wrong, but others are very risk averse, unmotivational, and suck any willingness you may have to do right by the company.

If you end up as a coder, realize that the code is a mess. Management is too risk averse (overall) to try to fix that.

The direction of the company is gonna be interesting under the new CEO (Miss Gage).

"This is a Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule/Work from home/intelligent co-workers

Cons

There has recently been a layoff of 33% of the company (+,+,+).
    The company was already top heavy, but no VP's were let go during the layoff. In fact they are hiring more VP's.
    People were already over worked and not sure how Deb Gage will handle managing the company
    with such a depleted work force.
    Work/Life balance has gone downhill
    The code is a mess

Advice to Management

Get into the life boats

"Its been real"

Current Employee - Developer in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Developer in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and lots of flex within scheduling.

Cons

All I can say is Medecision inherited a WEAK CEO!( Deb Gage) She has hired many VPs or better yet , "Yes People". The people that spoke out are now working elsewhere. A quot from the CEO, " HCSC has deep pockets." Sure lets paint the product and and force clients to upgrade. Lets redo the lobby? Wait, something wrong here? Maybe we can buy out another company and get their clients., but first lets get rid of 1/3 of the company so that we can pay for this. Pity the fool!

Advice to Management

Look for another gig before the ship sinks.

"Not a good employer"

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Pay is competitive.

Cons

The company is not doing well. A third of the company was laid off recently. There does not seem to be a go-forward plan. There is zero confidence is senior management. MEDecision used to be a place people wanted to work. Not anymore. Even the people who were not laid off are planning to leave. So sad. Unfortunately, the positive reviews that are on this site about MEDecision are not a true reflection of the current state of the company.

Advice to Management

Learn about the software industry so you can make better decisions. Try to connect with employees so they have a better impression of you. Right now we mostly think there is a lot of incompetence.

"Promising company ruined"

Current Employee - Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great, and by great I mean PHENOMENAL staff....Unfortunately they were all let go
    Work from home

Cons

New head incapable of leading the company upward, (everyone is essentially her underling "move the boxes, house sit for me, run my errands, watch out for my dog"), secrets and lies run rampant here; not interested in being innovative.
    RUN!

Advice to Management

How about some loyalty to the staff that got our company rated as exceptional by our customer?/ Remember this announcement, right before you announced that you would be laying off 1/3 of the company? Hiring MORE VPs right on the tails of this is insulting!! Exactly who are they leading???

GET SOME LEGITIMATE SALES! Hint: You get this by creating technology that is innovative!!

STOP WITH THE SECRETS AND LIES! The "secret" trip to India means one thing to those of us that remain: OUTSOURCING!

"What do you get when you cross Dilbert with the Titanic..."

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Medecision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - competitive salary
    - people doing the work are incredibly talented, experienced and cooperative
    - was employed there for almost 10 years and considered most of the folks I worked with as friends first, coworkers second
    - can count on one hand the worker-bee-level people that I had to deal with that were a pain or difficult to get along with

Cons

- almost all those talented and experienced people are gone now
    - layoffs the past two years (mini-purge in 11/2011; massive purge (1/3 of company) in 12/2012-02/2013) have decimated the company
    - folks left behind are stuck on a rudderless ship; and even if the current management could steer, have no confidence that they know what direction to go
    - as others have indicated, there remains a huge disconnect between management and staff, and there appears to be no desire at all to acknowledge this gap, much less to determine a way to bridge it and create a solid company again

Advice to Management

this is a fairly pointless exercise, since the current management has no desire to listen to advice from anyone - and certainly not from a former employee.
    however, I will provide this observation --- stop calling the staff a "low performing organization" when they have accomplished all the objectves set forth by management (hitting release dates with all desired functionality and at targeted quality levels). it is not the fault of the R&D, Operations and Support areas that the company is not making sales and bleeding clients.
    perhaps an honest evaluation of the sales and marketing objectives - and the overall business plan (what number are we up to? i think there have been four "new directions" since Deb Gage took over) - is in order.

"Started great and then..."

I worked at Medecision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Talented co-workers
    - Salary
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Two layoffs totaling over 100 people in a 12-month period.
    - Continual addition of VP-level personnel, while the remaining workforce is decimated
    - No accountability among the upper management
    - Healthcare benefits were below average at best
    - Disconnect between management and workers

Advice to Management

- Hold yourselves accountable for the company's shortcomings.
    - Now that the re-branding has been completed, how about focusing on actually building the brand?
    - Implement upward feedback so that management can get a sense of their strengths and weaknesses.
    - How about career development plans for the employees?
    - Don't have a holiday party three days after informing 1/3 of your workforce they are being laid off. That was completely classless.

"Run away! With this leadership there is no future in this company."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good group of people. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Leaders do not know what they are doing. Good managers are gone. Most of the current managers need LOTS of training.
    The CEO brought most of her friends as VP's.
    Nothing to learn, it is a 9 to 5 kind of job.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to customers and employees.