Medecision Reviews | Glassdoor

Medecision Reviews

Updated December 13, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • never an issue to work from home (in 11 reviews)

• Flexibility allows for work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge but a lot of this can be controlled by employees setting their own boundaries based on their own preference (in 12 reviews)

• In some instances, there are elements of senior management to whom the word "help" means "do the job for me while I look on" (in 9 reviews)

"Constantly Evolving for the Better"

Pros

The people within the company make it a fun place to work. This started with the leadership team that is currently in place that truly cares for employee satisfaction and is doing everything in its power to make a difference in people's professional and personal lives. There are a lot of opportunities to try different career paths within the company and people are encouraged to set their own destiny. The company has truly invested in its people through numerous programs to train and empower potential leaders within the company. How much you get out of these programs is really up to the employees. From a market leadership perspective, we are in a space that can truly make a big difference in people's health. There are not a lot technology companies that have transformed the way that Medecision has and that speaks volumes about the culture and the vision within the company.

Cons

There are some within the leadership positions that are impeding progress. The executive team needs a proper way to identify and remove these obstacles. Some of the recent organizational changes have been tough on the employee base but is much needed for Medecision to continue in its transformation journey. Work life balance is a challenge but a lot of this can be controlled by employees setting their own boundaries based on their own preference.

Advice to Management

You have invested heavily in the people and the product within the last few years. It is critical to identify those in influential position that are hurting progress more than supporting it.

Jul 5, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your post. We are glad that you are experiencing some of the improvements we’re making in internal communications, career development and innovation programming. Keep in mind that we ... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible work schedule, beautiful offices, great opportunities to learn different work streams and pursue career goals. Competitive salary, incentives health and life insurance plans. If you are motivated and a self starter, you can really flourish in the Medecision environment. There are great leadership programs within the organization that allow cross-functional interaction which really helps see the importance and value of the great work Medecision does every day.

Cons

Too much turnover at the Senior management level which can cause confusion. More projects than there are staff, so prioritizing what to work on can be a challenge. There can be chaos but what software company does not have that from time to time?

Advice to Management

Focus more on bringing in skilled resources to carry out all of the projects and initiatives that are important to the customer base. Continue to focus on product quality across the board as that is the root of who we are and what we are able to achieve!

May 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for posting. We are hiring! Tell your friends and colleagues to check our career portal for great opportunities on our team.

"Great product & people"

Pros

One of the reasons I joined this company is because I thought they have a product that can make a significantly good impact on people’s lives. Since joining, I’m convinced of it. Also the people I interviewed with were all very knowledgeable and friendly. Walking around the office while waiting it appeared as everyone enjoyed working there. The compensation and opportunities are better than where I have worked previously in my career.

The amount of industry knowledge at Medecision from individuals I’ve worked with is impressive. They’re also very helpful if you have questions and they take the time and effort to help you when they have time. My manager has been very kind, and regularly checks in with me to provide guidance and feedback. Coming from a company where I rarely received feedback except at review time this has been awesome. The company has also been a beehive of activity since I joined; many personnel changes, new processes, and new employees. As far as I can tell so far, it has been for the better.

One of the other very apparent themes is the amount of information available to everyone. The company intranet has vast amounts of information if you know where to look for it. There aren’t any secrets here. In my previous company you had to literally beg sometimes to get access to information that is available to everyone on their intranet. The word that gets used a lot in their advertising and also within in the company is “Liberating”.

Cons

If you can't deal with a rapidly changing environment, don't work here. The healthcare industry as a whole is rapidly evolving and so is the company. Some people cannot adapt well to change and may not deal well with it.

If you join the company from outside of the industry, you will have a steep learning curve. There will be a lot of new technology and acronyms to learn. It can be quite daunting and stressful to come up to speed. Everyone is very busy, so it may be difficult at times to get help and answers from the subject matter experts. Training is improving however as they invested in a training department last year.

From what I understand, about 40% of the employees work remotely. Meaning that they do not have an office that they work out from. Although it can feel liberating to be able to work from home, the work/life balance can sometimes be an issue since you as you may be traveling on weekends and spending much time on the road. This can come and go as the workload changes however.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging the employees! Love it.

May 25, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. It’s true the pace of change can be daunting in healthcare IT, but those who are mission-focused and career-progressive thrive here ... More

"Evolving company and evolving industry"

Pros

Medecision has filled its ranks with some truly passionate and brilliant people. It's a people-first, progressive culture, and I'm frequently impressed by how healthcare-experienced staff are.

For those who work out of one of the three physical offices, the offices are bright, clean, and comfortable to be in. For those who work remotely or travel, Medecision's office technology stack is excellent and much more advanced than other employers I've worked at.

In many ways, Medecision has the camaraderie and 'get it done' approach of a startup, but with the stability and security of a 27-year old company backed by one of the largest health plans in the U.S. with a large number of paying customers. This is important because the Population Health Management space is ever-changing and the companies that will succeed in the space won't be boring, stodgy firms who didn't evolve.

Medecision is a company to be excited about and to be a part of, in a market segment that is ripe with opportunity and receptive to new ideas.

All of Medecision's executives, including the CEO, are very collegial and approachable. Transparency is the default mode, from the glass walls in everyone's offices to the ability for any employee to see revenue numbers upon request. Very few things are hidden or withheld from employees which is very rare in health care.

In terms of day-to-day, there are many opportunities for staff to demonstrate leadership at all levels to make a very big impact on the company. The executive team is also quick to reward those who think outside of the box, demonstrate leadership, and make improvements to the business.

Cons

If you're looking for a traditional health care company to work at, Medecision is not for you. If you're looking for a job where you can 'coast' or are OK with mediocrity, this company is no longer for you. This is foremost a software company with all of the typical highs and lows. No company is perfect and not every company is perfect for every person.

Present is the stress of working for a software company with disparate customers and complex product lines. The product is stable and serves customers well, but has some legacy components that are in the process of being replaced. The hours can go up and down, and there are parts of the company that are under-resourced.

There have also been some long-overdue leadership changes within the ELT. This means opportunity for those who want to step-up, challenge convention, and help define new processes and changes. However, it also means there's currently a lot of new processes that are still be worked out and role confusion in some parts of the company.

Advice to Management

There's been a recent trend of hiring staff with diverse, experienced backgrounds which has really made a positive impact throughout Medecision and made it a great company to be a part of.

Find ways to foster and promote leadership regardless of position, while promoting a customer-obsessed culture of excellence and kindness.

May 17, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback and taking the time to post such a thoughtful response. You’re right about the passion, healthcare experience and brilliance that exists at Medecision. All are plentiful and ... More

"Sr Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, both personally and professionally. Great opportunity for growth and the chance to work with new technologies. Flexibility in working at home and the office is a real help for work life balance.

Cons

Process improvements are underway, however consistency in understanding the changes could be more uniform. Balancing needs of customers on prior releases, while transitioning to a new platform.

Advice to Management

Validate that changes are applied consistently across the organization.

May 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Dear Poster, Thanks for bringing up the point of how important communications are during major process re-engineering and improvement. In the past year, we've moved to SaaS, with a quarterly ... More

"In the home stretch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time

Pros

I have worked at Medecision for many years, and have lived through the transition, the leadership changes, and product challenges, and yes, they were trying years. I can state, with true honesty, that I feel Medecision is on the right path! We are lazar focused on the Clients, ensuring we are solving their business problems with our experience and solutions and placing their needs before all. As employees, we get caught up in the negative, which is normal when an organization is in transition. And yes, the years were rough, but I am not aware of any organization that is perfect. We don't take the time to celebrate the accomplishments, and if we are all honest with ourselves, there are many. I believe we have opportunity for additional changes, and I expect they will happen, and I believe Deb is aware, and acting on them. I leave you with this….as a client facing employee, the feedback from the clients is positive, and they recognize and feel the changes we have made and they have trust in our partnership.

Cons

There are people who are not willing to be empowered to force change or make a decision. It may be their role, it may be their personality, or it may be their management, but if it is the later, or if you think your hands are tied, talk to Deb or Susan. I spend too much of my time chasing people to assist with an issue or resolve a problem that could be spent with the clients.

Advice to Management

Keep looking, keep your ear to the ground, ask questions and verify. We are in the final stretch, and with a few adjustments, we will cross the finish line in first place.

Mar 27, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your positive feedback! I am glad that Medecision has been part of your professional life, and that your perspective on the ups and downs is balanced. As you suggest, participate in our ... More

"Bumpy roads do not get better until potholes eliminated."

I have been working at Medecision full-time

Pros

Salary, benefits, some coworkers that still do care.

Cons

Middle management, same people get promotions for bad decisions and blowing smoke.

Advice to Management

Look deep and see there are workers that care and give only to be stepped on and over by glory seekers. help the ones that help you not hinder you.

"On the right path; Need to address conflicts head on"

I have been working at Medecision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The industry and my fellow employees are the reasons I stay -- a group of really smart people who come together to solve problems in a collaborative way and support each other
    -I have a great direct manager who truly cares about my career development, personal growth, and well being
    -I have great respect for the executive leader of my department, who is very smart and empowering of our team
    -We have a CEO who knows what the issues are, and, I think, is willing to make the tough calls to solve them.
    -The industry is fast paced, high growth, and exciting, with cutting edge technology and the ability to really make a difference for our customers and for healthcare consumers.

Cons

-This is a tough, emerging market with lots of ambiguity and uncertainty -- it is not for everyone.
    -We are not unlike other technology companies, overly reactive vs. proactive and not focused enough on planning and prioritization
    -In my experience, I see a good bit of internal finger pointing vs. aligning behind a common vision of how we want the market to consistently perceive and experience us.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the front line employees; understand their concerns and ensure they believe their concerns have been heard.

Over communicate about our competitive differentiators and gaps -- there are widely differing points of view around our product and service offering -- some in the organization truly believe our product is superior to any competitive offering, particularly in the payer side of the market; others believe the organization is delusional. Who is right? It doesn't really matter if half the employees believe the negative point of view. In either case, we need to address the issue head on and be transparent about the challenges and/or misunderstandings across the employee ranks.

"All good things must come to an end..."

I worked at Medecision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home.
    New office setting close to KOP.
    Fast pace environment - using up to date technology.

Cons

Complete lack of work/life balance.
    Poor management and senior leadership - communication gap between management and staff continues to widen.
    Unable to retain top talent.
    Outsourcing core technical resources/positions to over sea's.

Advice to Management

Come out of your ivory towers and get to know/appreciate your staff. Employees are not impressed; they see through all the smoke/mirrors and double talk.

Jan 31, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Dear reviewer, Thanks for your posting. We understand that sometimes, in some teams, our communication processes break down. Over the last 3 years, we've invested -- and we'll continue to invest ... More

"Exciting work with great people"

Current Employee - Software Developer I in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in Wayne, PA

Pros

I have been with Medecision for 2 years now. I really like working for this company. The people are great and the work is exciting. It can be challenging at times but we work together as a team and get it done. I have learned so much since I have been here. I like my current position but think there may be some opportunities for me when I am ready to step into a bigger role. And the location is great.

Cons

Like any IT job, there is pressure to deliver, especially near hte end of the project.