Medecision Reviews | Glassdoor

Medecision Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of employees get to work from home and yet we are still a close knit and cohesive unit (in 13 reviews)

• Flexibility in working at home and the office is a real help for work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge but a lot of this can be controlled by employees setting their own boundaries based on their own preference (in 12 reviews)

• Too much turnover at the Senior management level which can cause confusion (in 9 reviews)

"Bumpy roads do not get better until potholes eliminated."

I have been working at Medecision full-time

Pros

Salary, benefits, some coworkers that still do care.

Cons

Middle management, same people get promotions for bad decisions and blowing smoke.

Advice to Management

Look deep and see there are workers that care and give only to be stepped on and over by glory seekers. help the ones that help you not hinder you.

"Work that Matters"

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Medecision: Our solution literally saves lives. My manager cares about me as a person, gives me positive feedback, and encourages my professional growth. My co-workers respect my opinion. Senior leadership is brilliant and articulates a purpose to rally around. yadda, yadda? Maybe. A company's culture either makes you want to come in to work every day, or it makes you dread every second. At Medecision, I look forward to coming into work. That's the plain truth.

Cons

Is Medecision perfect? Point to a workplace that is. Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen plenty of negative reviews on Glassdoor for companies where I thrived, and I've seen 95% positive reviews for companies that were downright toxic. It's the internet -- take it all with a grain of salt. Want to get a sense for a company? Don't listen to what any of us say. Ask: How was I treated during my interview process? Did the folks interviewing me articulate a vision and a mission that makes me want to do the best work of my career? Did the people I saw while onsite look happy or miserable? What does the state of the office space say about whether leadership values aesthetic, positivity, and the human spirit?

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward, keep listening to what employees are saying, keep us aiming high. It matters.

Mar 17, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for posting your comments. You're correct - no work place is ever perfect. But, we're committed to helping save those lives and making MEDecision a great place to pursue a career. Listening to... More

"On the right path; Need to address conflicts head on"

I have been working at Medecision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The industry and my fellow employees are the reasons I stay -- a group of really smart people who come together to solve problems in a collaborative way and support each other
    -I have a great direct manager who truly cares about my career development, personal growth, and well being
    -I have great respect for the executive leader of my department, who is very smart and empowering of our team
    -We have a CEO who knows what the issues are, and, I think, is willing to make the tough calls to solve them.
    -The industry is fast paced, high growth, and exciting, with cutting edge technology and the ability to really make a difference for our customers and for healthcare consumers.

Cons

-This is a tough, emerging market with lots of ambiguity and uncertainty -- it is not for everyone.
    -We are not unlike other technology companies, overly reactive vs. proactive and not focused enough on planning and prioritization
    -In my experience, I see a good bit of internal finger pointing vs. aligning behind a common vision of how we want the market to consistently perceive and experience us.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the front line employees; understand their concerns and ensure they believe their concerns have been heard.

Over communicate about our competitive differentiators and gaps -- there are widely differing points of view around our product and service offering -- some in the organization truly believe our product is superior to any competitive offering, particularly in the payer side of the market; others believe the organization is delusional. Who is right? It doesn't really matter if half the employees believe the negative point of view. In either case, we need to address the issue head on and be transparent about the challenges and/or misunderstandings across the employee ranks.

"The confusion at Medecision"

I worked at Medecision full-time

Pros

I truly enjoyed many of my colleagues on a personal level. It is what kept me at Medecision as long as I did.

Cons

Medecision’s leadership does not view themselves as a software company. They see themselves as a services company and have clearly stated this in public many times. This is key to understanding the dynamics of what is occurring there and why the conflict amongst many of the stakeholders is so great.

So why is this relevant? Medecision is about delivering product to their customers through technology as a service offering. However, they do not seem to care (anymore) who makes the software. It could be the internal groups, contractors, external vendors, purchases/acquisitions, etc. The point being is they are not going to manage their Dev, BA, QA and other resources in a manner even remotely like a software company.

While this may seem odd to a company that develops and sells SaaS CareManagement and CareCoordination software, it explains the lack of investment in the actual technical staff - including training and staffing levels, the willingness to look outside for new development and the desire to have Sr. Development staff basically be the bandaid and bubblegum team keeping the existing stack alive until the app is re-written (much of it by external teams).

The architecture team doesn’t follow any process. Again, if you aren’t a software company, then why should you bother having architects understand TOGAF, SEI, or any other process. There’s no success criteria in POCs, no architectural characteristics being evaluated, no review process. It is a dictatorship of often un-informed technical decisions. Then when this team does introduce new technology, there’s little to no hand-off to the teams trying to deliver features with it. And since architecture is in an Ivory Tower, no one vets the POC to ensure the success criteria even begin to resemble the characteristics needed for a customer implementation (we’d need an epic or user story for that). Of course, by the time the miss is discovered, it’s easy to blame the BAs or developers for not pointing out the gaps from Architecture. And don’t even get me started about how well the governance over external vendors or contractors works.

It also explains how a company with a fairly decent agile process could jettison it in favor of a RAD team that basically has no process and can break pretty much any rule in order to ‘get it done’. This in of itself would not be so bad if the customer(s) actually realized it was their implementations that had portions (or all) of the QA and release management processes completely bypassed in order to meet a deadline. And should the code have worked, no one would have been the wiser… ooops. So the dates slip, the clients are over promised, and the teams are ground to a pulp trying to fix what was broken in the last release before the contract penalties kick in. Ask how many of the largest 4 projects in the last two years had actual requirements or user stories before development started (or even finished in some cases). This isn’t agile, waterfall, or any other dev process - this is throw it on the wall and see if it sticks.

Advice to Management

Decide if you are a services organization that also builds software - if so you need to completely refactor your software delivery structure starting with architecture. You would need to decentralize architecture and allow a structure where people aren’t afraid to point out gaps and challenge ideas. You need to invest in your current development team - staffing them appropriately and giving senior members opportunities to work on new development (as opposed to glorified maintenance engineers). You need to actually do some analysis on the requirements of various technologies before prototyping them, develop requirements/user stories for new features before delivering them, and you need to give your clients the common courtesy of knowing when they are a beta customer when you are running teams with little to no process. Finally, ask yourself how many of your peers/competitors actually hava product delivery structure that isn't allowed to touch how the development teams deliver software. It kind of defeats the entire purpose...

"Don't believe the fake good reviews"

Former Employee - Software Developer in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in West Chester, PA

I worked at Medecision (More than a year)

Pros

Generous work from home policy. Fair to good salary. There are some honest and intelligent people working there.

Cons

Upper-management is completely oblivious of the damage their decisions are doing to the employees and the business.
    Seems they are waging a PR campaign here on Glassdoor and other sites to refute their bad reputation. This in and of itself proves how bad a company they are to work for.
    Architects are completely clueless scribes sitting on mountain tops that throw darts at walls strewn with flyers for new technologies and fling stone tablets chiseled with the results down unto the unclean masses. In colloquial terms, the Architects choose random new technologies based on how shiny they are and then, with no knowledge or care for how things fit together, set the developers up to fail when everything doesn't work together.
    Middle management and project managers are powerless to stop their resources from constantly being reassigned based on the whims of the uppers. This leads to projects being delayed or completely failing, which in turn is blamed on everyone not sporting a golden parachute.
    Developers who actually have experience and good ideas are ignored or beat down in lieu of said architect's grand schemes. Think "Titanic" with all the developers screaming about the iceberg and the company men steering right for it while downing bottles of 1865 Chateau Lafite.
    Seriously, I can't really explain to you enough how toxic the atmosphere in this place really is for thinking humans of a technological bent. If it was just this one review, you could chalk it up to a disgruntled employee, but read through them and you start to see that the reviews are screaming "biohazard" sprinkled with a few obviously skewed "This company rocks!" PR plants.

Advice to Management

You haven't listened to anything from your employees. Your reaction to bad reviews is to call the writers liars and disgruntled former associates, or to write obviously fake happy reviews (though statistically a few of those are cool-aid lovers). I don't know why I'd try to tell you anything, but let me give you this. You have a product that could actually save people's lives. Your product could help detect and prevent a fair amount of pain and misery in your fellow human beings, and is a guaranteed money-maker. And yet, your egotistical and clinically psychopathic behaviour is preventing any good the company could do for anyone, including yourselves. I'd say that I'd cheer and raise a pint when the company finally succumbs to the depravity of your infantile behaviour, but I'd be lying. I'd just be sad.

Feb 5, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Dear Poster,

We aren't waging a "PR battle" on Glassdoor: We are responding to public posts and comments (including yours) that we believe may not represent a complete perspective of Medecision... More

"Never have I seen so little professionalism"

I worked at Medecision full-time

Pros

There are some smart people still working there. The new office is nice. It certainly beat working in offices that were 2/3 empty because they fired a bunch of people right before Christmas anyway.

Cons

My favorite Medecision experience sums up the cons pretty well.

-Developers are told they are, as a department, all getting bad marks on their year end reviews, then hence lower/no pay increases, because the dev team went over budget that year.

-Developers ask exactly why we went over budget.

-Manager tells developers they went over budget because they had to spend too much money on recruiters to find people willing to work at Medecision to replace all the people who have quit.

-Developers ask why it's fair to penalize the people who are staying with Medecision.

-Manager explains (I kid you not) that the developers should have worked harder to 'make this a place people want to stay at instead of quitting' and so it's their fault people quit and the dev department went over budget.

-Manager receives a promotion shortly thereafter.

So yes, if you'd like to work at a place where it's always YOUR fault. Sign on up. This is an absolutely tone deaf organization that doesn't really grasp reality. There's a number of 'rah-rah' supporters who are either sales people or cronies of the CEO who will tell you forever things are great despite any evidence but don't believe them.

Seriously all the developers need to get out of there asap.

Advice to Management

I personally don't think that the managers don't care, as much as I think they just don't have the capacity to see any other way. They think they're doing the right thing, the reality of their ideas are just abysmal to anyone who has to live under them day to day.

A more cynical person would say they're just using Medeicision as a cash cow to milk some salaries for a while before moving onto the next pasture. Promise a bunch to clients, overextend the developers for short term goals without rewards, maximize sales and then when it all collapses just walk away.

In either case there is no advice they'd ever take in my opinion. That's the problem.

Jan 31, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Dear former colleague:

The situation you describe certainly sounds frustrating, and it's understandable that developers would be concerned about such a comment. As a reminder, our annual bonuses... More

"All good things must come to an end..."

I worked at Medecision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home.
    New office setting close to KOP.
    Fast pace environment - using up to date technology.

Cons

Complete lack of work/life balance.
    Poor management and senior leadership - communication gap between management and staff continues to widen.
    Unable to retain top talent.
    Outsourcing core technical resources/positions to over sea's.

Advice to Management

Come out of your ivory towers and get to know/appreciate your staff. Employees are not impressed; they see through all the smoke/mirrors and double talk.

Jan 31, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Dear reviewer,

Thanks for your posting. We understand that sometimes, in some teams, our communication processes break down. Over the last 3 years, we've invested -- and we'll continue to invest... More

"Exciting work with great people"

Current Employee - Software Developer I in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in Wayne, PA

Pros

I have been with Medecision for 2 years now. I really like working for this company. The people are great and the work is exciting. It can be challenging at times but we work together as a team and get it done. I have learned so much since I have been here. I like my current position but think there may be some opportunities for me when I am ready to step into a bigger role. And the location is great.

Cons

Like any IT job, there is pressure to deliver, especially near hte end of the project.

"Company with Great Potential the Needs to Master the Basics"

Current Employee - Population Health Management Consultant in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Population Health Management Consultant in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative technology
    Flexibility allows for work-life balance
    Competitive Pay

Cons

Lack of overall training and preparation for new employees
    Lack of communication between department
    Too many projects with too few resources available.

Advice to Management

Master the basic! To make projects go better teams need to be properly trained on workflows and expected protocols. Product changes, no matter how small to a platform must be vetted, documented and properly presented to sales and support teams.

"Medecision Creates a Culture of Collective Ambition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Values
    Option to Work From Home
    Salary
    Passionate Leadership and Peers
    Intelligent Peers
    Promotion from within
    Recognition Award Programs

Cons

Managers that comment negativity about leadership decisions. This attitude is disruptive, so be apart of the solution. Please stop contributing to the white noise.

Advice to Management

The leaders of Medecision don't just want to build a profitable company. Our leaders want Medecision to matter to customers, employees, and the community by fostering a culture of collective ambition. This is an exciting time to be apart of Medecision. I dare you to find out.