Medela Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Quality Control Supervisor"

Former Employee - Quality Control Supervisor in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Control Supervisor in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Excellent benefits. Very clean to work.

Cons

Both communication and training needs to improve.

Advice to Management

A manger is in a role because of a skill set he or she possess. You do not rotate managers in different roles for 2 years at a time for no reason. I'm completely confounded as to why this type of action would be beneficial to moral.

2. "Leadership"

Current Employee - Leadership in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Leadership in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Medela full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good feeling on products and customers

Cons

Slow to innovate products, no career path, will not develop employees would rather hire from outside, new structure creating silos

Advice to Management

Actively support and develop current employees

"Customer service specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package. The company as a whole is a fun place to work for. Many activities to get involved in.

Cons

By far the most divided department I've ever worked for. If you weren't in the in crowd then you were pointed out I and pushed out. Your skills and what you bring to the table have nothing to do with advancement.

Advice to Management

None. It seems management supports such negative atmosphere. The "open door" policy that was expressed was a gimmick.

"Partner Services Specialist"

Former Employee - Partner Services Specialist in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Partner Services Specialist in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall company treats employees good with good pay and benefits. A lot of good people I've met over the years.

Cons

Felt micro managed by someone who didn't know how to manage in the first place. Felt like it was her way or the highway. Didn't want to change for the good or be challenged in any way.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and let people grow. Felt like you just were handed your position cause it fell in your lap not cause u could actually manage people. Stop being so hard headed let changes happen and implement good things for Dept. Not just yourself.

"Production Assembler C"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and working Monday through Friday. Occasional voluntary overtime on Saturdays. Got to work with both shifts when overtime on Saturdays was in place.

Cons

Management outside production, some within production, kiss butt to move forward, could never grow until after 5 years of being with the company and even that needed to still kiss butt.
    Very judgemental environment, and never saw my family when it came to the overtime. Lots of pressure to go fast, not so much the quality.

Advice to Management

In the past 3 years I have been with this company they have gone through 3 supervisors. That is horrible. 1st supervisor was let go for lack of paperwork but he had to be the best supervisor out of the three, second supervisor never was at the job, and the third seem to be always sick or hurt during our whole month of mandatory ovetime.
    Honestly, my review was better than most and I had no reason for them to say anything negavite about me as a worker, but they did the run around when it came to having me grow. Ultimately why I left, management started telling me I couldnt be who I am at work, and I need to change for what they want, and still when I did so it got me no where, just a different person to my kids and husband. This job effected my personal life so much with overtime 3 days a week for months at a time. The overtime was 2 hours before my shift at 4:30am. So I was told I would be working full time 1st shift, never told me about the overtime that management put into place for people like me to work and them not being there to supervise it. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Unless it was partime.

"Accounting/finance"

Former Employee - Accounting in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers. Everyone works hard and tries to function as a team. Location is good. Benefits are pretty good. New facility.

Cons

Acctg/finance dept a nightmare. Accounting practices are done poorly. Acctg mgr doesn't know what she is doing, will blame others for her errors, micromanages employees, and doesn't even have an accounting degree. Stay away if you want to further your career.

Advice to Management

Audit this dept.there are alot of problems.

"Build your Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to hire little to none experience, competitive pay. Good place to learn skills that you can take with you to invest in a more serious company.

Cons

Most management has been management for 10+ years, this company needs to learn how to evolve and change with it's current times. Their processes are old and stale. Their employee's are all run down and bored. They need to hire some younger employees to get ideas implemented that the younger generations can provide.

Advice to Management

Its okay for management to have people working under them who are smarter than them. Employee's as such make you look better and make your job easier. Learn to value those employees and provide positive reinforcement when it is needed, not enough of that occurred during my employment there what-so-ever.

"Supervisor - mid -management"

Current Employee - Supervisor - Manager in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor - Manager in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Medela full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people to work with....and alot of people feel like I do- and we all know that upper management does not care what we think...so no use in saying anything...just keep waiting for a better opportunity to move on

Cons

Overall the company is poorly managed both here in the US and globally and now that we have a HQ in EU-its gotten worse....The environment is hostile and there is no project planning. Some groups are so hostile to other groups it has made it one of the worst places I have ever worked..there is no prioritization of projects. Making it also a horrible place to work...--we get no support from our upper management either.. many people have no idea how to do their job right...so it takes longer for you to do yours. --we also have to report into the parent company that is in Switzerland- and they have no clue how to manage a medical device company either. they are non -communicative, never provide support, think they know everything and you are just stuck in the middle with so much work you cannot everything done since there is no Prioritization coming from the US or the HQ.. expect long hours and alot of frustration. inefficient processes and a product development/engineering group and other groups that do not share information with you or make it hard to your job. Company works in silos... no cross communication that has gotten worse with the restructuring.. Most people that work here have no medical device background and that is pretty scary...if you want to work at a place where people through you under the bus and you have to spend 3 hours a day doing CYA and then another 10 doing your job --this is for you!!! Do yourself a favor---work elsewhere...I am just waiting for the right opportunity and time to move on...being selective so I don't end up in the same scenario... Each year --I don't get to take all my vacation....yet the HQ is always on vacation since they are European....seems like they are always on vacation....they are also staffed at a ratio of 4:1... they have 4 people to one in my group...see the difference..in workload.

Advice to Management

Only hire people with medical device experience or who want to do it right. get rid of most of the current product development group- since they have no idea how to treat people and work in a total vacuum...not to mention the work they do is garbage. Let US run independently of HQ...let us manage all of North America products ourselves.--and take the cons thing I wrote and fix your internal problems--try to come up to this century for processes too...Medela is 20 yrs behind in industry management and processes and culture. Swiss headquarter is too arrogant and uncommunicative to even work with....they need to change. I was hoping the new CEO would have made significant changes by now --but its only gotten worse....Promote people that know what they are doing and have the experience, not the people that act like used car salesmen...and kiss up.

"Good Company- Great People"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in McHenry, IL

Pros

Great People
    Strong Company Values- Large support for their Employees
    Strong Outlook
    Continue to develop

Cons

Overall, Medela is good, but the company is changing at a fast pace
    Must be willing to wear multiple hats

"Research and Development division small but efficient"

Former Employee - Research and Development Technician in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Research and Development Technician in Brea, CA

I worked at Medela (Less than a year)

Pros

Work directly with upper management including the V.P. of the entire operation. Upper management is professional and always takes your opinions into account. The contractors were treated with the same courtesy as the full-time employees.

Cons

No standard laboratory notebook practices. Ended contracted before expected completion date and gave only one weeks notice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good relationship with your employees--even the temps.