MediResource Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Paul Kostoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great to work with. Management flexible and adapts to your lifestyle, seemed to care about us. Work is satisfying, i felt good that i was impacting people's health for the positive (they reinforce this with employees so i kind of drank the Koolaid on this one).

Cons

Provide more ongoing training and professional development. Pay is competitive but not top of scale.

Advice to Management

You're on a good path but need to spend more on expanding outside of Canada and getting more USD to support faster growth.

2. "Good people, mostly"

I have been working at MediResource full-time

Pros

The company is focused on health care and is in a position to do a lot of good. There are some very good people who work there, and the atmosphere is generally very good.

Cons

There are a few people with a lot of sway who sometimes make questionable decisions and behave in problematic ways. If you don't have to deal with them directly, you still have to deal with the fallout of their sometimes poor judgement. They are to some extent overbalanced by the quality of most of the people, but they do have their bad effects.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of good, smart, dedicated, talented people. You should listen to them. All of them.

3. "Beware!"

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

Good place to get your feet in the door
    Lots of diversity
    Getting the experience that helped me move on to other opportunities
    Standard 9am-5pm hours (not much overtime at all, great if you have side projects or families and I think that is why most people stick around since many of the employees there have kids)

Cons

Not much chance for advancement;
    Unstructured environment;
    When I was there there wasn't any employee engagement or morale;
    I saw company wide lay offs where long time employees were given the boot and only to be shortly replaced later with younger staff and I can only assume at a cheaper salary;
    Work is not managed equally among people (I saw one co-worker playing video games and napping. Management didn't do anything!)
    Employee reviews were not on time and based on comments from your co-workers (the proper way to handle reviews is to get comments all year long so you know how you're doing not once a year to be sidelined / surprised about things that was never mentioned to you)
    Location is uptown so there isn't many places to go that are walking distance for lunch

Advice to Management

You should be transparent to your employees. It was disappointing to see long time employees let go. If it was a bad year and you didn't make x-dollars you should say there hasn't been enough business this year.

4. "Company could be 5x or 10x bigger than it is"

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

This company has interesting products and services to work on that foster intellectual engagement and challenge, in the burgeoning health and wellness space. What kept me going there was knowing that the work we were doing would make a positive difference in people's health. I worked some long hours, but overall there's a decent work-life balance. There was opportunity to branch out because there are many areas outside one's job definition where the company needed help, and if you're entrepreneurial, you can step up to the plate. The CEO is a smart and intellectually curious man who delves into technical topics most CEOs don't. I encountered a handful of delightful colleagues who made the work even more fun.

Cons

This is a company that could have been growing by leaps and bounds and expanded outside its home market. The CEO radically underestimates how helpful it would to the business if he focused less on doing the work himself and did more CEO stuff. His wife is very literal and linear in her thinking, and she clashes with people who are not and doesn't even realize their value. The leadership team tends to view employees like "the help", even at higher levels. Make very sure that you keep up your skill set and don't limit it just to those skills you apply here. Privately-held by a close-knit trio, it's clearly their show and not open for employees to have a sense of ownership. Financial rewards and benefits are below market. The health package was the worst I've ever had. This scenario a recipe for talent churn.

Advice to Management

There's no good reason you shouldn't be an ultra-high-growth company. Set your sights much higher and grow exponentially. To do that, make people your focus. Build a culture of innovation and ownership by profit-sharing and creating much greater transparency. Invest in an HR strategic partner who knows what's required to attract and retain the best and brightest. Instead of hiring "order takers", hire people who are smarter than you in their respective fields and set them free. Make a conscious allocation of time and resources for each employee to innovate and experiment. Focus on the US instead of Canada.

5. "Great place to start out"

Former Employee - Digital Producer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Digital Producer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people - aside from the occasional bad manager in another department. Great place to start out and learn from. Owners are great people and treat employees well. Staff events are fun and monthly pizza day.

Cons

Employee culture is lacking, not enough team building - can't envision seeing yourself there for a long period of time. Benefits are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Improve team building aspect.

6. "Web Developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MediResource full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours
    People are friendly
    Good for people getting their feet in the door to get experience (especially foreign trained professionals)
    Work keeps me busy

Cons

Lack of structure or process
    Lack of consistent or on time reviews for salary increases if any at all
    As with any agency type environment be cautious - I saw former long term employees laid off and their work spread to other employees or new employees hired on contract at a cheaper rate
    Lack of fun company culture (everyone does their hours and goes home, not a bad thing if this is what you are looking for)
    Not many choices to go to for lunch

Advice to Management

Due to changing landscape of online health industry it will be difficult to stay competitive unless they come up with new products that work or impress

"I love working here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MediResource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of people, very motivating environment, strong leadership and vision from management. Allows for flexible lifestyle. I've worked at other tech companies, none with a health focus. People here really buy-in to the fact that work we do helps millions of people. If you want to be on leading edge of technology and healthcare then apply here. Lots of new people being added so good growth opportunities.

Cons

Location is not on subway, need to bus it. Work is pretty flexible, occasionally need to go into war mode to deliver on a timeline, not too often. No real cons, its a great place to work and gets better every year.

Advice to Management

Management usually open to advice. Keep sticking with the vision and focus on how we help. People really like that message and rally around it.

"Good Innovation, solid team"

Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, really working hard to change the health care world with innovation. Pay is fair, a little above average. They value ideas and input, even implementing them. Wow, how many employees can say that about their employer.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. Challenge with a very demanding group of clients. It can be hard to be creative with the regulatory contraints the business faces, this isnt their doing though.

Advice to Management

Dont listen to that negative 'clever' developer, I know who it is, they are a troll and created problems. Thats why they aren't there any longer. Keep the positive people who believe in the work being done, they will drive the business forward.

9. "It taught me a lot and was a good place to get experience"

I worked at MediResource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working atmosphere, good coworkers, and good opportunities to learn new skills

Cons

Integration and communication between departments could be improved.

10. "Smaller digital health player - treading water"

Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

Good tech skills and creative at finding new re-sellable solutions

Cons

Team a bit demoralized
    Management prone to taking too much profit, vs reinvesting

Advice to Management

Seek partner to invest in past portal for mobile generation - can you personalize health record-keeping?