MediResource Reviews | Glassdoor

MediResource Reviews

Updated January 29, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Kostoff

1. "Test Automation Engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in North York, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in North York, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MediResource as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Staff
    Great people
    Good Work Life balance

Cons

Tight Deadlines!
    Fail to see a superhero employee

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!

2. "Beware!"

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

Good place to get your feet in the door
    Lots of diversity
    Getting the experience that helped me move on to other opportunities
    Standard 9am-5pm hours (not much overtime at all, great if you have side projects or families and I think that is why most people stick around since many of the employees there have kids)

Cons

Not much chance for advancement;
    Unstructured environment;
    When I was there there wasn't any employee engagement or morale;
    I saw company wide lay offs where long time employees were given the boot and only to be shortly replaced later with younger staff and I can only assume at a cheaper salary;
    Work is not managed equally among people (I saw one co-worker playing video games and napping. Management didn't do anything!)
    Employee reviews were not on time and based on comments from your co-workers (the proper way to handle reviews is to get comments all year long so you know how you're doing not once a year to be sidelined / surprised about things that was never mentioned to you)
    Location is uptown so there isn't many places to go that are walking distance for lunch

Advice to Management

You should be transparent to your employees. It was disappointing to see long time employees let go. If it was a bad year and you didn't make x-dollars you should say there hasn't been enough business this year.

3. "Great place to start out"

Former Employee - Digital Producer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Digital Producer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people - aside from the occasional bad manager in another department. Great place to start out and learn from. Owners are great people and treat employees well. Staff events are fun and monthly pizza day.

Cons

Employee culture is lacking, not enough team building - can't envision seeing yourself there for a long period of time. Benefits are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Improve team building aspect.

5. "Company could be 5x or 10x bigger than it is"

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

This company has interesting products and services to work on that foster intellectual engagement and challenge, in the burgeoning health and wellness space. What kept me going there was knowing that the work we were doing would make a positive difference in people's health. I worked some long hours, but overall there's a decent work-life balance. There was opportunity to branch out because there are many areas outside one's job definition where the company needed help, and if you're entrepreneurial, you can step up to the plate. The CEO is a smart and intellectually curious man who delves into technical topics most CEOs don't. I encountered a handful of delightful colleagues who made the work even more fun.

Cons

This is a company that could have been growing by leaps and bounds and expanded outside its home market. The CEO radically underestimates how helpful it would to the business if he focused less on doing the work himself and did more CEO stuff. His wife is very literal and linear in her thinking, and she clashes with people who are not and doesn't even realize their value. The leadership team tends to view employees like "the help", even at higher levels. Make very sure that you keep up your skill set and don't limit it just to those skills you apply here. Privately-held by a close-knit trio, it's clearly their show and not open for employees to have a sense of ownership. Financial rewards and benefits are below market. The health package was the worst I've ever had. This scenario a recipe for talent churn.

Advice to Management

There's no good reason you shouldn't be an ultra-high-growth company. Set your sights much higher and grow exponentially. To do that, make people your focus. Build a culture of innovation and ownership by profit-sharing and creating much greater transparency. Invest in an HR strategic partner who knows what's required to attract and retain the best and brightest. Instead of hiring "order takers", hire people who are smarter than you in their respective fields and set them free. Make a conscious allocation of time and resources for each employee to innovate and experiment. Focus on the US instead of Canada.

6. "Web Developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MediResource full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours
    People are friendly
    Good for people getting their feet in the door to get experience (especially foreign trained professionals)
    Work keeps me busy

Cons

Lack of structure or process
    Lack of consistent or on time reviews for salary increases if any at all
    As with any agency type environment be cautious - I saw former long term employees laid off and their work spread to other employees or new employees hired on contract at a cheaper rate
    Lack of fun company culture (everyone does their hours and goes home, not a bad thing if this is what you are looking for)
    Not many choices to go to for lunch

Advice to Management

Due to changing landscape of online health industry it will be difficult to stay competitive unless they come up with new products that work or impress

"I love working here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MediResource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of people, very motivating environment, strong leadership and vision from management. Allows for flexible lifestyle. I've worked at other tech companies, none with a health focus. People here really buy-in to the fact that work we do helps millions of people. If you want to be on leading edge of technology and healthcare then apply here. Lots of new people being added so good growth opportunities.

Cons

Location is not on subway, need to bus it. Work is pretty flexible, occasionally need to go into war mode to deliver on a timeline, not too often. No real cons, its a great place to work and gets better every year.

Advice to Management

Management usually open to advice. Keep sticking with the vision and focus on how we help. People really like that message and rally around it.

"Good Innovation, solid team"

Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, really working hard to change the health care world with innovation. Pay is fair, a little above average. They value ideas and input, even implementing them. Wow, how many employees can say that about their employer.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. Challenge with a very demanding group of clients. It can be hard to be creative with the regulatory contraints the business faces, this isnt their doing though.

Advice to Management

Dont listen to that negative 'clever' developer, I know who it is, they are a troll and created problems. Thats why they aren't there any longer. Keep the positive people who believe in the work being done, they will drive the business forward.

"Amazing insight into the wonderful dynamics of a parallel universe."

Former Contractor - Java Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Java Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

When evaluating this organization objectively, as a workplace for one's own and nothing more, there really are no pros. However, I was fortunate enough that my immediate colleagues, my fellow oppressed, are a tremendous group of people. Never before have I had the privilege to work with such an honestly bright and hard working bunch. Unfortunately, spirit and excellent work ethics among the developers alone do not elevate this company from its rank as a modern day metaphor of an 18th century Industrial Revolution Era brick factory.

Cons

The company develops software products with the same vision and determination that a deaf person would use when guiding a blind person. The company is unable to come up with the building blocks of a workable concept and an effective execution. If you read reports about Canada's lack of entrepreneurship, lagging innovation, and abysmal productivity and you feel those metrics are too abstract for you, come work a month at this place.

There are 40 odd workers on the premise and yet this company sees more political wrangling than GM. The company principals, themselves unable to effectively monitor software development, are exercising their power through a series of inept proxies. These vile and unpleasant minions will amuse you at first. Slowly but surely, they will then proceed to give you simultaneous and conflicting tasks, change their directives mid way, expect you to perform multiple simultaneous tasks or any combination of these scenarios. The company is unable to make progress; it then calls for interminable meetings to discuss why it is unable to move forward; this takes up more time that further delays progress; that leads to more meetings...you get the idea.

Like many technology companies in Toronto, both large and small, these guys don't care that unhappy workers in knowledge industries have really low throughput. They are a proud sponsor of outsourcing even when that practice is one of the main contributors to their troubles.

This is just one company, but when you think how many more like it there are in the GTA alone, you'll suddenly understand why your taxes will not be going down anytime soon, why your cost of living will remain high, why the infrastructure around you will continue to crumble.

Advice to Management

Potatoes. No, no, hear me out...

Everybody loves them, not everybody can grow them. Here's where you come in. Forget this software development mumbo jumbo. Branch out into potato farming and bulk distribution, it will be a sure winner.

10. "It taught me a lot and was a good place to get experience"

I worked at MediResource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working atmosphere, good coworkers, and good opportunities to learn new skills

Cons

Integration and communication between departments could be improved.

11. "Smaller digital health player - treading water"

Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

Good tech skills and creative at finding new re-sellable solutions

Cons

Team a bit demoralized
    Management prone to taking too much profit, vs reinvesting

Advice to Management

Seek partner to invest in past portal for mobile generation - can you personalize health record-keeping?