Media Assembly Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Martin Cass

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most transparent upper management I’ve encountered in an agency, supportive of one’s career growth and wants their employees to stay" (in 5 reviews)

• "Opportunity to learn and grow outside of the "everyday" media role" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Team had way too much work going on, No work/life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "long hours, rude management, absolutely no help from HR with issues including insurance as well as internal problems, understaffed" (in 7 reviews)

"Analytics Team - Amazing Interview Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Analytics Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analytics Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Media Assembly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PEOPLE:
    *I interacted with some of the nicest people in industry during my interview, and this includes everyone from employees that support corporate functions like HR to those that are in the client-facing roles of the company.
    *The people are honest, which is a hard quality to find in a firm. Some agencies embellish things about their business, portfolios, or anything else, but Assembly maintains its integrity.
    *The employees are also humble. They know they're responsible for delivering superior business value to clients, but they don't brag.
    *You will find support when you need it. Assembly has a history of promoting a team culture so someone is never tackling difficult problems alone.
    BUSINESS:
    *I know for a fact that the analytics team is (and I'm sure other teams are) doing really sophisticated work. This will help their clients reach new potentials in their business.
    *The firm is full of industry veterans whose experience is very valuable in a time where the industry is rapidly changing.
    *Assembly has a variety of clients with a diverse set of marketing initiatives, which proves that their analytic skills and business expertise is applicable to many different industries.
    *This agency is being recognized by several advertising/marketing news outlets for being an overall great agency in terms of current business and future outlook.

Cons

I don't remember there being anything negative about Assembly.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what similar companies are paying for similar positions.

"title"

I worked at Media Assembly full-time

Pros

-Nitro cold brew on tap
    -kombucha on tap
    -good healthy snacks usually

Cons

-too much work to go around
    -never catch up on emails
    -very clicky teams, people are not as welcoming and friendly unless you're on the same team
    -understaffed
    -elitist culture, higher ups don't care much for those below
    -not like family here

Advice to Management

-be transparent
    -nobody knows what's going on up there
    -terrible communication

3. "Great work experience, culture is lacking"

Former Employee - Media Planner
    Former Employee - Media Planner

I worked at Media Assembly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive salary
    - Most transparent upper management I’ve encountered in an agency, supportive of one’s career growth and wants their employees to stay
    - Great client, exciting work and decent work life balance depending on the account
    - Nice office

Cons

- Little to no perks
    - Some incompetent or cliquey coworkers
    - Rocky cross-team dynamics
    - Learning plateaus at a certain point

Advice to Management

Foster better office culture, fire bad employees

"Assistant Media Planner"

I worked at Media Assembly full-time

Pros

Open Environment, Young Team, Big Brands

Cons

Team had way too much work going on, No work/life balance

"Understaffed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Media Assembly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Decent benefits. Great emerging ideas.

Cons

Not enough employees, they say they are looking to hire, but not seeing that happen quickly enough. Some teams are drowning, while others are fully staffed. A lot of miscommunication on processes. The training employees needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Get staffed. Get a better process in place for on boarding new employess

"Recently joined the Assembly Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Media Assembly full-time

Pros

Since recently joining this agency, I’m blown away by the talent and dedication of the Assembly team here in Detroit. The agency feels nothing like the old Doner media department. Overall people seem genuinely happy and enjoy coming to work each day. I’m thrilled that I took the leap of faith and joined this team!

Cons

The office could use a little facelift. Mostly cosmetics, but is in need of some attention.

"Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Media Assembly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teams are actually very efficient in getting things done across all company. People are very smart, relatively young, very creative & ambitious, which is a good thing to keep clients and meet their expectations. I had a very good time working at Media Assembly - you get things done, you get rewards. And they pay you well. I like their HR department, they are making changes and improvements daily. Moreover, my team members that doing Analytics and data sciences are very smart, where you can learn things every day. The data engineering team provides good trainings to teams across the board. Clients are interesting, the planning team get things done in a very logic and rational way.

Cons

Not that I can think of. However, the company is relatively young and acquired by a bigger company. Tough competitions outside. Need to retain talent.

Advice to Management

Better management to manage teams in a more systematic way.

"I was happier when I left."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Media Assembly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is close to grand central, that’s about it. Please enjoy the cons list since there’s way more details about this place ;-)

Cons

Management are “chained” at their desks from sunrise to sundown. They expected everyone on the digital team to do the same. Work life balance diminished when they took on a new account and hired new people to do the job original management didn’t even know how the execute. Overall, very toxic work environment. Leaving this company was a blessing and I’m happier that I am finally away from this terrible team.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this agency. Digital team doesn’t know what they’re doing and only hire people that will obey their every word and no room for flexibility nor compromise. Possibly the weakest leadership team I ever encountered.

Advice to Management

Trying to intimidate incoming employees really revealed how little you knew how to manage a team.

9. "Integrated Communications Assistant"

I worked at Media Assembly full-time

Pros

Really great company culture; you have people who love their jobs and are eager to help you advance in your own career

Cons

Low salary and little opportunity for advancement

"Agency has potential, but isn't living up to it"

Current Employee - Integrated Communications Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Integrated Communications Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Media Assembly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Close to Grand Central
    - Good standard intro to the media agency
    - New office space is cool

Cons

- The turnover is wildly high, even for this industry
    - Upper management, with some exceptions, are set in their ways and inflexible
    - Employees are not valued (leading to the turnover problem, no doubt)
    - Promotions and raises happen on a schedule only twice a year instead of fairly rewarding employees when they deserve it
    - Depending on your team and manager, your hours can be extremely long. A big disparity between teams leaving at 5 and other teams staying until 8

Advice to Management

Be more flexible. It's 2018 and there needs to be better work/life balance. It's time to let good people do their work on their time without being micromanaged. Hire better people and invest in them.