Media General Reviews | Glassdoor

Media General Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good benefits, very professional working environment, opportunity for growth and finding connections, great location (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of good, talented people want to work hard and win (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Crying out to upper management for help produced no results (in 5 reviews)

• Constantly going though changes acquisitions and lay offs (in 3 reviews)

"Hub Spiraling Out of Control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Media General full-time

Pros

Working with very talented people in their fields at the station level and hub level. Professionalism to the highest degree.

Cons

Unfortunately most of these talented people are overworked and overwhelmed. Also the lack of leadership is frustrating. Currently most employees feel set up for failure and unable to meet unrealistic expectations. Many are being poached by other companies, or simply leaving without any sort of fall back.

Advice to Management

Change in management is needed immediately. Also, not hiring to replace employees that have left, is crushing the current staff. When there's someone having a breakdown and crying on a weekly basis, there needs to be change.

"National Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Media General full-time

Pros

Learned a great deal during a heavy political cycle, had good managers to work with, good sales team and very good traffic person, GM at the time seemed to care about the station (last year of employment was before 2011 but Glassdoor won't let me change it).

Cons

Very low salary, tried to stay with company after station sale but blocked from doing so even though others were allowed, MG kept an employee who testified in a lawsuit against the station who would have been fired from most stations yet good people laid off, no place to move up without moving to another station

Advice to Management

Spend time in stations seeing how the average person works, don't keep bad people just because you're afraid of a lawsuit you would likely win anyway

3. "Rollercoaster Ride"

Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid compensation. Decent benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Disruptive industry change made the time there stressful and uncertain at all times.

Advice to Management

Improve front-line communication. Keep rank and file in the loop and help them to feel valued.

"Doesn't care about employees and treats them as expendable."

Current Employee - News Producer in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - News Producer in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Media General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Own the top station in the market I live in.

Cons

Getting time off is next to impossible, the hours are ridiculous (not quantity, just the schedule), and management is not understanding in the least that employees have personal lives. Also, the pay is not good either.

Advice to Management

Show you employees that you care more by paying them a living wage, being fair, and treating them with more respect (even if this is their first job). Also understand that even though this is the news business, reporters/anchors/producers all do have family and friends.

6. "My experie4nce at Media General was great"

I worked at Media General full-time

Pros

If you do what you are supposed to do for the most part they leave you alone & let you do your job

Cons

No cons. I really didn't have any problems while I was employed there

Advice to Management

Upper management was very approachable. Mr. Bryan seemed to be able to call everyone by name & I really appreciated that.

"Overall good experience in an unstable field."

Former Employee - News and Content Producer in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - News and Content Producer in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow and have new responsibilities
    Company is a well-known name in news field
    From what I remember, the benefits were decent

Cons

Furloughs and staff reductions (2008-2010)
    High-paid execs, but that seems to have been taken care of in the last couple of years
    It's not so much the company but the news field in general, overworked and underpaid employees

Advice to Management

Recognize and appreciate what the people at each station do to keep the company going. Many people work around-the-clock, on holidays, and vacation for this career ... and are rarely compensated adequately. A little extra money, time off, or a pat on the back helps a lot.

"Not Employee-friendly"

Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was room for creative license, a flexible schedule, relaxed newsroom environment

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, budget cuts that diminished the quality of the publication

Advice to Management

Needs to consider allowing more employee input and funnel more profits into employee compensation rather than the bigwigs in Richmond. Also, publications need to be laid out in community newsrooms rather than central locations where copy editors have no connection to the community paper.

"Behind the Times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wear multiple hats, direct link to senior exectives

Cons

not enough staff for the work, horrible work-life-balance, laughable relationships between colleagues.

Advice to Management

Employees are people, too. They can't counteract the deplorable state of your industry just cause you stomped your feet and told them, too.

"Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

Cons

Poor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Advice to Management

Hopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)

"Good products terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

Cons

Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Advice to Management

Invest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.