KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Media Kitchen Reviews

Updated May 3, 2022

Found 76 of over 78 reviews

4.2
Media Kitchen CEO Barry Lowenthal (no image)
Barry Lowenthal

18 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place

May 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great leadership, work life balance

Cons

compensation a little low, some difficult clients

2. 4.0

Great First Job

Jan 21, 2022 - Associate Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who are willing to help

Cons

Personal growth is limited depending on your team

3. 4.0

Great place to work

Sep 18, 2021 - Media Planner
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great agency with a great culture

Cons

I do not have any

CEO

Thanks for your endorsement!

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Experience depends

Apr 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great people, made some life long friends here -Compensation is transparent, at or a little above industry average -CEO is really engaged on glassdoor and encourages people to leave reviews!

Cons

-Huge discrepancy in workload depending on what account you're on. Some teams would be having a party, while our team were still trying to work. This stopped a while ago though -If you're on an account no one wants to be on due to work load, you might always be down at least 1 person and have trouble hiring -Spoke to GDs about this and was told one thing, but nothing was ever actioned. The one good thing that came out of working here, was that after 5 years in the industry, I realized the stress, panic, and frustration that came from working here was not what I wanted in my life anymore, and changed industries.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your note. As we wind down working on the client you were assigned to, staffers are commenting on how workload wasn't distributed equally across accounts. You're right, it wasn't. Your team worked longer hours than any other team and we were always trying to hire fast to fill open spots. It was a difficult situation that finally resulted in us parting ways with the client. While I'm very sorry you were living with stress, panic and frustration I am glad this situation led you to make some important decisions about what kind of career you want and where you want to work. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors and thank you for all your hard work and commitment.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

MK is a great place to start your career

Mar 24, 2021 - Senior Strategist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great people, accessibility to upper level management, opportunity for growth

Cons

work/life balance is not evenly distributed throughout the agency

CEO

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you found Media Kitchen a place to grow. You're also right, work/life balance is not evenly distributed. I think you'll find that that's always the case in every agency and in every job. Not every account has the same requirements and there will always be one account that is more demanding than another or one team that is busier than another. It's why we try and rotate staffers from account to account.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to grow and learn

Feb 24, 2021 - Strategist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Comfortable environment - Communication from leadership team - Inclusion

Cons

- agency downsizing due to covid has made it difficult to learn beyond the day to day

CEO

Thanks for the feedback! I'm very happy you feel comfortable working at MK. It's important that where you work can make you feel that way. I'm not sure I understand why you feel it's difficult to learn beyond the day-to-day so please reach out via Butterfly, our anonymous feedback tool, and give me more background. It's important to us that our staff keeps learning and while a lot of learning happens within teams, other learning does occur in different ways and we want to make sure you feel like you have the right access.

7. 4.0

production

Mar 2, 2021 - Underwrter Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

great place to work. very friendly

Cons

not very caring about employees

CEO

We don't have anyone on staff with the title 'Underwrter Assistant'. Are you sure you're reviewing the right Media Kitchen and are you spelling the title correctly?

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Place to Start

Feb 3, 2021 - Associate Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, good work environment, cares about clients.

Cons

Low pay and role was sometimes lacking in work

CEO

I'm glad you felt the agency was a good place to start! A lot of people have told us they get exposed to quite a lot making the agency an ideal training ground. While entry level jobs are not the highest paying jobs, we have found that our salaries are competitive. In fact every two years we analyze salaries across all levels to ensure our salaries are competitive. Thanks for the rating!!

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company

Jan 9, 2021 - Associate Strategist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company itself works to ensure the environment at the job is comfortable for everyone.

Cons

Your experience largely depends on the team you're on. Coming in as an associate strategist you're likely working under strategist who are getting familiar with the strategist position and getting familiar with managing sometimes with little guidance from the senior strat. If you are new to media (as most associate Strategists are) it can be a challenge learning the nuances of digital media while on the job. Make sure you're not afraid to speak up and ask for what you need directly from the senior strategist and also be ready to self teach.

Continue reading

CEO

Thanks for the feedback. And you're right, everyone's experience is different depending what team they're assigned to. Some teams use different forms of media so everyone's experience is a little different. While we try and provide some base level of consistent knowledge across teams, WFH during Covid has created challenges and we need to get better with onboarding.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place, not doing so hot this year.

Dec 8, 2020 - Strategist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great small shop to learn and grow.

Cons

Lots of turnover/layoffs due to COVID

CEO

Thanks for the 5 star rating! I'm glad you think MK is a place for people to learn and grow. This past year was definitely tough and the first part of next year will probably be rough. But I'm glad we have a team that will get us to the other side.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 76 Reviews

Media Kitchen Reviews FAQs

Media Kitchen has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 78 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Media Kitchen to a friend and 57% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Media Kitchen employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Media Kitchen. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

81% of Media Kitchen employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Media Kitchen 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Media Kitchen to be management, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be compensation .