Media Temple Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 27, 2019

3.3
Raghu Murthi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They place great importance on work/life balance and health" (in 7 reviews)

• "You can also work from home, which in encouraged" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are some negative talks about the parent company GoDaddy since the purchase" (in 4 reviews)

• "You'll want to make sure you can handle customer service" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best Job Yet"

I worked at Media Temple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Media Temple was like one big family that just so happen to work together it was awesome in its day.

Cons

Got bought out by a bigger disconnected company.

Advice to Management

keep the good people get rid of the Rod's

"All The Negatives of a Large Corp Plus All The Negatives of a Small One"

Former Employee - Customer Support II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Media Temple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WFH, free hosting, lots of high-level technical training

Cons

If you're employed here, you'll be overworked & underpaid, despite parent company GoDaddy being a mega-giant with zillions of dollars. IT consultants charge triple digits to do some of the things you're expected to do at $17/hr.

You have zero control over your workflow & schedule. You will be put on a very unpleasant shift. You will be reprimanded for meeting quota, because the expectation is that you actually take as many calls as possible. Don't believe anything they tell you in the interview about call volume. It was not abnormal for me to take 40 calls a day; a couple of times, I took 30 calls before lunch. It's ridiculous, considering how technical some of those calls are. You can't catch your breath, because your manager will ride you for being out of the phone queue, even if your queue time is way above your quota. Because, again, the quotas don't really matter.

Every call is recorded, and if you deviate even slightly from the correct procedure (i.e. being OK with a customer calling himself "Bob" instead of "Robert" as it says on the screen), for any reason, prepare for an entire 1-on-1 about it if the call gets QA'd. Note that during your early shadowing period, you'll watch reps deviate constantly from procedure & be told that it's better to deviate than make someone upset. This is completely contradicted by management once you're actually taking calls, which is one of a few ways you're set up for stress during the onboarding process.

Overall, you're treated like a cog & paid like a dog. The office is neat, but you won't work there. You will never meet most of your coworkers; I never even met my manager.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adults. Be honest about the workload during the interview process. And revise that call auth procedure so your workers get yelled at less.

"Decent company, management needs work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Media Temple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working on their product is fun
    Good client list
    Culture is nice

Cons

Management needs to be tighter
    Software stack needs work

Advice to Management

Stop hiring contractors as top managers
    Tighten the filter for hiring

"Solutions Consultant"

I worked at Media Temple full-time

Pros

benefits, in office keg, stocked kitchen with snacks, vpn

Cons

massive lay offs and low pay in comparison to competitors

Mar 2, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

We are proud of our benefits and office perks, glad you enjoyed them.
    For Media Temple to move forward against the 2018 strategic plan and beyond, we needed to improve our operational efficiency... More

"It was great, but now it is being encroached by GoDaddy."

Former Employee - Customer Support Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Media Temple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team-based
    Good pay and benefits for work experience.

Cons

Management expected more and more with less and less resources.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the bottom line and go back to focusing on a quality customer experience.

Mar 2, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Glad you enjoyed the team atmosphere and employee package. This year we have a renewed customer focus and plan to continue to improve the experiences that our customers have with our brand.

"Media Temple"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Media Temple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nice office, unlimited free snacks, drinks, and beer. Could be a great place to work depending on what you do.

Cons

Parent company may change operations at any time. Previous president has made many other staff and executives leave.

Jan 29, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Glad to hear that your experience with Media Temple had many positive elements. We have been focused on aligning to our 2018 strategy and stabilizing the team. We are excited about what is coming... More

"downhill after new ownership"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Culver City, CA

I worked at Media Temple full-time

Pros

fully stocked break room, employee outings, some very good people as coworkers and team leads.

Cons

forcing customer service reps to upsell every service they possibly could with bonus pay "incentives" to make ends meet is unethical, but they don't care since it brings in big Daddy more revenue. The good team leads recommended we just do what we can but others had other ideas...

Advice to Management

keep sales to the sales department, don't put unneeded pressure on your employees and customers alike. If you want to be viewed as a premium brand, act like one.

Jan 25, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Happy to see that while you were here you enjoyed the people and the perks.
    We continually assess and refine our processes to better understand the... More

"Sadly Not The Company It Use To Be"

I worked at Media Temple full-time

Pros

Good life/work balance, flexible PTO, good health benefits, office culture, happy hours/internal events and the employees are stellar group of talented people, they are the best part of Media Temple

Cons

I had been with the company for years back when it was an startup. It use to be a great place to work that encouraged growth from within, rewarded and valued it's hardworking talented employees, a very family like atmosphere. Sadly it is not the company it use to be. It was purchased a few years ago by GoDaddy and in the past two years as GoDaddy began to merge and take greater hold of Media Temple all of the above declined. People are overworked, taking on multiple jobs under appreciated & underpaid causing them to feel burnt out and which saw lots of employees leave for our competition where their salaries doubled for the same work. Pay raises use to be a good standard, but those also declined, despite employees meeting or exceeding goals. In the last year we saw an increase in micro managing and less internal advancement. And if loyal employees didn't leave then they were let go recently in mass layoffs. Even clients favorable reviews about MT declined due a decrease in the outstanding service and products we use to provide. I loved what this company was and the people, it truly was a great place to work, but it's become a shell of that due to flawed leadership, product over quality, glossing over management issues and the disillusionment of the employees causing lots of turnover.

Jan 25, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Thanks for your time in writing this review. It’s good to know that you enjoyed the culture, values, work/life balance and people that create such a positive working environment.
    There are... More

"Stay Away, Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Media Temple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, office culture, snacks, the people (for the most part), happy hours, flexible PTO

Cons

Inept and absent leadership that plays favorites, unclear path and deadlines from the parent company (GoDaddy), lack of product innovation and unique selling proposition, outdated website and internal systems

Advice to Management

Media Temple supposedly used to be great. That's what I heard from the veterans and I saw glimmers of that in my 2.5 years there. But for the most part, I saw a scrambling leadership team that phoned it in with no clear vision while doing the minimum to appease GoDaddy. Spend less time out of the office/at unnecessary conferences and more time in the office strategizing and actually managing your employees.

Marketing was a revolving door. I had 6 different bosses in 2 years there! Since there was so much turnover, my job was always more than it was originally intended to be. They never fully backfilled and I was doing the jobs that 3 people were doing when I was hired. Yet I never had a boss that truly knew how to do my job, let alone mentor me.

There were mass layoffs last month as the absorption by GoDaddy seems imminent. GoDaddy wasn't involved enough until it was too late and an inept/absent Media Temple leadership had run it into the ground. The decisions on which staff was kept appears political in some instances rather than who was necessary to the business. The writing was on the wall as quality people who had been with the company a long time decided to leave. An impressive series of poor leadership decisions led Media Temple to its current state, a shred of its former self.

Nov 27, 2017 – Director of Employee Experience

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with Media Temple. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the company’s generous benefits and work-life balance.

In order for Media... More

"Not Media Temple. Media Temple (A GoDaddy Company)"

I worked at Media Temple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Beer, free Snacks, decent office, and most of the people were awesome.

Cons

Being under the thumb of GoDaddy. a publicly traded company, has put massive strain on the company. This strain has led to the downfall of what this company stood for: great web hosting and great support. GoDaddy has decided that they want Media Temple to change markets to go after web agencies and cloud based hosting which led to the largest layoffs in the company's history.

The problem did not only stem from GoDaddy, but within Media Temple as well. The previous CEO did not know how the company made it's money, let alone what web hosting was. That went on for 2 years. Since his departure, GoDaddy has swooped in to make massive changes and then leaves the company to figure it out. I'm not sure how long Media Temple will last.

Advice to Management

Media Temple's recognition within the hosting industry as the best customer support should not be ignored and dragged through the mud. If you destroy what the company stands for, you destroy the company.

Jan 25, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Your feedback is valued and we are grateful for it. 2017 was a hard year in many aspects and on many levels. The strategy set forth for 2018, coupled with the lessons learned over the years, has... More