MediaMath Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

3.6
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 52 reviews)

• I am truly appreciative to the CEO and all the smart people that taught me so much, thank you (in 33 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good place for exposure"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people all round. There's always help whenever you request it.

Cons

Focus may be a little questionable in the individual teams. Disparity between ideas. Some teams are severely lagging (in terms of industry standards) in their core competencies (still using last touch attribution, manual trading etc)

Advice to Management

Stop being too fixated on old practices.

"Lot of potential, great co-workers, arrogant leadership and lacks focus"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful office space
    Lots of potential to innovate
    Industry moves at a dizzying pace
    Wonderful co-workers
    Some differentiating products

Cons

1. UI from the 90s and the team lacks leadership and experience
    2. Lot of attrition
    3. Roles and responsibilities are muddy
    4. Senior leadership has a serious problem of saying 'No'. What makes it worse is that they spin up conversations and hand it off to Product Leaders without proper thought forethought into what the conversation can lead do.
    5. Non C-level leaders lack decision rights. They do not have the option of saying 'Yes' or 'No' to opportunities w/o taking it to Senior leadership
    6. Senior leadership is often arrogant and think of the competition as 'not worthy of their time'. While dreaming to compete with Google and Facebook is admirable, they are past the point of being ambitious to being delusional

Advice to Management

Delegate better. Give the leaders in your organization more decision rights. Bring in a culture of focus . Stay hungry and humble

"Proceed with a heavy dose of caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of snacks.
    Smart coworkers.
    Nice offices.

Cons

Where to begin... You will work with a lot of very smart people, but the amount of ego here is incredible. They think by hiring smart people that will make a great business but they forget to give them defined rolls and direction. And that all starts at the top. This company is one of the most poorly run businesses I've been apart of. The CEO is basically checked out. There is a lot of turnover in executive positions. 3 CFO's in 2 years. No head of HR for over a year. 3 execs lead the technology organization with not one being in charge. People's rolls are blurry at best and there is a lot of unnecessary crossover and confusion about where responsibility should land. They went on a huge hiring spree when the company was booming and even after a few layoffs they still have way too many people. So many people just seem to float around and get in the way. Making matters worse, a lot of these people have very inflated titles which makes telling them to stay in their lane more difficult. This company HAD huge potential and still could be a decent company but there is just leadership and desire to do what is necessary. Joe should step aside and get a fresh set of eyes on the business. On top of this, there is no discernible culture or vision.

MediaMath Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We are excited by the new energy and strength of the leaders brought in to take a high growth company about to celebrate 10 years, to the next level. And it’s working. We are having one of our best... More

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At MediaMath, you can build your career and have fun doing it. Staff at all levels are entrusted with responsibilities that allow them and the company to grow. Awesome work/life balance with flexible hours and unlimited PTO, plus the ability to work from home - but since the office environment is great (friendly co-workers, stocked kitchen, chair massages, volunteer events) you may not want to!

Cons

The company and industry are intricately complex, which may be dizzying for those new to the field. It may also be difficult to integrate across different teams.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Growth isn't everything - Egos and Weak Links"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers on the lower/mid levels were nice. I didn't personally experience too much office politics but I also didn't rock the boat that much. Beautiful working environment and delicious commitment to snacks.
    Hours were pretty reasonable for me and pay was ok
    International offices seemed to be better organized.

Cons

HR department was always having problems. Weak members of the team stuck around for too long, strong members of the team would move on quickly. There was always turn over in the leadership (c-level and middle) positions which led to confusion throughout other departments.
    Internal rating system (for managers, employees etc) changed twice in my tenure there and both times did not seem useful or to be reflected in bonuses.
    My own managers were nice on a personal level but were also very cliquey, frequently hiring their buddies for positions they weren't necessarily suited to and not fully supporting the lower level staff even though they were picking up the slack. Culture, fun and perks took a down turn once the costs of being in the new space came into full effect.
    Hired many people during my tenure and then laid off a bunch (myself included) which speaks to the disorder in HR and lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Hire outside your social circle more. Diversity at the highest level was lacking. For a long stretch (about 10-12 months) every c-level position was white and only one was a woman. Middle management looked better but didn't necessarily act better because they were taking cues from above.

Stop re-organizing teams before they've had a chance to do their work. While it's admirable to see when something's not working and change it, it's also very confusing.

"Junior"

Current Employee - Junior Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- smart people; pockets of brilliance
    - work is engaging, projects are stimulating
    - offices are beautiful
    - industry can be a rush

Cons

- high attrition
    - below average pay
    - Prioritization

Advice to Management

Middle management training :)

7. "a review from a MEP"

Current Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-incredible, resourceful people
    -amazing office space and location
    -fantastic work/life balance

Cons

there are no apparent cons

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

MediaMath is a pioneer and leader in Ad-tech and there are plenty of challenging and interesting engineering, analytics, and data-science problems to work on. This is a great place for acquiring valuable skills in these areas, especially given the vast amount and variety of data available. There is a culture that is open to new technologies.

Cons

There are occasional shifting priorities, but I think this is normal for a company that is positioning itself for success.

"Started off very good but has lost its way"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible working arrangements. A degree of WFH is no problem for most engineers.

Very smart people with a good engineering culture.

Sometimes the engineering work can be interesting.

Cons

The company feels like it's lost it's way compared to three years ago, and it's been clear that senior management still haven't figured out what direction they want the company to go in.

Layoffs last year were really poorly handled and shook the confidence of those who stayed.

Not enough time for engineers to resolve mounting technical debt, due to the pace of new feature work, yet at the same time huge resources have been poured into internal projects that should help engineers radically improve the product, but no-one will take the decision to properly implement.

Advice to Management

Please get a plan for where the company should go and stick to it.

Consider holding a moratorium on new development for a quarter to allow engineering to catch up with tech debt and properly use the new framework that we've been told we'll be switching over to for the last three years or more.

MediaMath Response

Feb 3, 2017 – SVP, Engineering

I recently joined MediaMath (3 months now) and made the decision to come over because I realized early on that the engineering culture here is amazing and quite rare. More importantly, I was super... More

"Still one of the greatest places to work!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, empowering, fast paced environment where you can learn a lot very quickly. While some see this as a negative, I personally love the fact that things move quickly, and are constantly changing. MediaMath allows employees to be themselves, share and implement new ideas, and get involved in really cool projects. If you are hardworking, have a great get-it-done attitude, you can be very successful here. If you are entitled, lazy, or negative, you probably won't last long. It's a very adapt or move out culture where the top performers are rewarded and those who can't handle it move on.

Great benefits and perks - beautiful offices, snacks and drinks, fun events like Trivia night and flip cup tournament, open PTO. You get treated like an adult regardless of your role. Work hard and play hard.

Cons

Yes there are constant changes to the org - but it happens in every company! Management has done a much better job of providing more info to teams about company vision.

Some managers aren't flexible about start and end times which seems a little draconian, but most teams are pretty flexible.