MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 55 reviews)

• Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Amazingly, he's still employed though no one on our engineering team can explain what he does (in 6 reviews)

• HR department was always having problems (in 5 reviews)

"Best place I've worked at in 10+ years as a software engineer!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is the right size IMO. Not too big to be stifled by process and not too small to be at your desk for 10 hours a day trying to make ends meet. There's a ton to do and to innovate on. You can pick and choose what you work on to a certain extent and you are responsible for pushing a project to completion. Working in various languages and with various technologies is great. There's a ton of old and interesting code as well (of course), but new features can be made into their own thing where you're able to experiment with your choice of technologies. The people are great and we're very interconnected even though I am remote for most of the week. A lively and vibrant office culture makes coming in to the office fun.

Cons

Too much free food and alcohol!? No, really... Not much.

Advice to Management

Maybe employees could use a little more direction at times instead of being left to their own devices, but then again... I like that. I guess highly motivated people will find that kind of thing rewarding, while unmotivated people might find it hard to get stuff done.

2. "Growing Pains"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The company is growing fast and has a lot of great talent working there.

Cons

Not enough structure on the product size and so things are falling through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Need to double down on the product and have cross functional/org representation so there are no silos of work happening.

MediaMath Response

Nov 8, 2017 – Chief Product Officer

Great observation and I agree that we have an amazing group of talented individuals working here. MediaMath has a complex set of products that must work together seamlessly in order to give our... More

"The best Frontend engineers I've worked with easily"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Frontend engineering team is extremely talented. There is no reason MediaMath engineering should not be competing at the level of Google, Facebook, Apple and friends. They have the talent to do so. We could probably use some direction from management and trust from management to do the right things to further the business goals.

- Location is wonderful.
    - Office is beautiful.
    - The people are great
    - You will like who you work with.
    - Work from home policy is great.
    - PTO policy is great.
    - I feel like my VP of Engineering is great.
    - My product manager is particularly helpful. She's almost as good as the last one I had at a previous employer and she has far less experience than he had.

Cons

The product is disappointing despite having the most consistently talented Frontend engineering team I've seen in my decade of Frontend experience. I haven't figured out why its so disappointing yet. Everyone seems constrained and under-utilized or just plain blocked from creating an amazing product due to the lack of a full UX team. Most companies would kill to have the Frontend engineering team we have at MediaMath. I hope they realize they have a diamond in the ruff here. MediaMath leadership just needs to make it shine.

Documentation is lacking when on boarding. You are just kind of on your own if your team is not lucky enough to have someone who's been working at MediaMath for a few years.

For what MediaMath offers we need to come up with structured on boarding and education for each and every employee. Each employee should feel empowered to provide value to the company. Its very hard to do this if you employees do not even fully understand the business which is crucial in MediaMath's business.

On the Frontend side of things people are encouraged to work in silos but still on a single app. Decisions can feel like they are top down. However, we've been working to find ways to make decisions a conversation rather than a top down approach. I'd like to be more connected to the various teams which can be difficult when people are spread across so many offices.

Advice to Management

We need a real and structured program to make sure every MediaMath employee that comes through the door understands the business. I think a 2-4 week on-boarding program where new hires focus on learning the MediaMath business in a classroom like setting is probably in the company's best interest in the long run.

One off classes every other week for an hour over the phone just does not help people to really know the business and understand it in a way that allows them to push it forward. As it stands right now on-boarding takes longer than it has to IMO as a result of a lack of structure as it relates to people understanding the business.

One other thing is we could do a better job with changing technology and trends. Changes will happen. We need to have a way to make changes if we need to in the future and without having to overhaul the whole app. The UI for our app needs a complete overhaul IMO from the UX to the design to the code.

Overall though, Mike, Steve and Joe and the rest of the MediaMath team are really really smart people and likable people.

MediaMath Response

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Product Officer

This is helpful feedback, and I wanted to take the opportunity to address some of these comments. All the items you mention are areas we also feel strongly have to constantly evolve and improve to... More

4. "Top of the pack"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The entrepreneurial culture and high internal transparency make it a great and unique workplace. The management team is years ahead of competitors and they don't overreact to market shifts. Work/life balance is unmatched.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are slightly below industry average. The management team and senior leaders are often changing roles and priorities, making it hard to set a course.

Advice to Management

Optionality can be distracting and make life difficult for employees.

"Great place for engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Mediamath for over a year. In Engineering it's a lot less top-down than I've seen at most other organizations both in terms of managerial structure or attitude as well as technology stack. There's a healthy lack of self-satisfaction in the technological status quo, and instead there seems to be a constant striving in doing things cheaper, faster, and better. This does not mean to say the environment is high-pressure because, on the contrary, I've found it to be one of the most relaxed places I've worked. We have unlimited PTO and it's for real, meaning if you are capable of delivering good results then no one questions when or how you go about it.

Other pros: People and culture are friendly and diverse; good benefits and free snacks; the view is awesome.

Cons

Onboarding could be better; wiki organization is pretty bad.

6. "Finance"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing enviorment, great people, great perks, great work-life balance

Cons

None I can think of

"Exciting challenge1"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader and innovator in exciting growth sector. Building the marketing platform of tomorrow. Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal.

Cons

Navigating a complex sector, so priorities can change quickly.

Advice to Management

Focus on operating at scale and stay nimble while doing so.

"Lot of potential, great co-workers, arrogant leadership and lacks focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful office space
    Lots of potential to innovate
    Industry moves at a dizzying pace
    Wonderful co-workers
    Some differentiating products

Cons

1. UI from the 90s and the team lacks leadership and experience
    2. Lot of attrition
    3. Roles and responsibilities are muddy
    4. Senior leadership has a serious problem of saying 'No'. What makes it worse is that they spin up conversations and hand it off to Product Leaders without proper thought forethought into what the conversation can lead do.
    5. Non C-level leaders lack decision rights. They do not have the option of saying 'Yes' or 'No' to opportunities w/o taking it to Senior leadership
    6. Senior leadership is often arrogant and think of the competition as 'not worthy of their time'. While dreaming to compete with Google and Facebook is admirable, they are past the point of being ambitious to being delusional

Advice to Management

Delegate better. Give the leaders in your organization more decision rights. Bring in a culture of focus . Stay hungry and humble

9. "Software Engineer - NYC"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

-Company Culture
    -Work Hours
    -Benifits: Food, Massages, Happy Hours, 401k, Unlimited PTO, Health Insurance, Dental, Eye, Pet etc
    -Everyone is very smart
    -Work setup is top of the line
    So many more

Cons

-on boarding process isn't clear i.e. new hires what to do

10. "Personal Assistant/ Property Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, I enjoy working for the private sector.

Cons

I currently live in NY and moving to Dallas.