MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, feel free to work from home (in 51 reviews)

• Very smart people with a good engineering culture (in 32 reviews)

"Absolutely horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, free snacks, matching 401k

Cons

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.I dreaded coming to work here everyday.The most toxic work environment I've ever been in. Most of the positive reviews here have come from the "Marketing Engineers"(MediaMath's glorified intern program) who are entry level folk that come into Mediamath via a special program so they are coddled more than the rest of the org, I don't feel like their reviews are a fair representation of the company for a role where you actually have to accomplish things. The executive that runs the department I worked in is completely inexperienced, and it shows. They are a basically a show pony for MediaMath. Bad leadership aside, this place has the most sketchiest people I've ever met. People are constantly trying to "one up" you behind your back, it's like high school. The product itself is LIGHTYEARS behind anything in the market really, MediaMath is a dinosaur with no real vision-- nothing that is a real big differentiator as most functionality relies on partnerships, which they try and spin into a positive. Love politics? Then this is the place for you, it's DROWNING in it. Decent, smart people who deserved to get promotions never did, and the brownnosers seem to keep moving up the food chain with made up VP titles. It's a joke.

Advice to Management

Keep firing amazing people so you can set them free. Most of the smart ones already are gone or are about to jump ship.

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, friendly office managers, neat perks (massages, stocked kitchens, company lunches, etc.) They do a good job of onboarding new hires into training them about the ad tech industry (...maybe too good. It made me realize that it's not an industry I want to work in.)

Cons

People are rude and treat you like you're disposable. Many people on the tech side are narcissistic, immature, and act like petulant 3rd grade bullies. They'll trash talk each other in "private" chatrooms and then pretend to be all smiles when dealing with you directly. You'll get put on and pulled from projects faster than you can imagine, leading to you completing nothing in the end. No direction, no clarity, no structure.

Advice to Management

Focus on the quality of the humans that you hire. Nobody wants to work with oversized children. Treat humans with respect. Nobody wants to feel disposable.

Jul 6, 2016 – CIO

We try hard to foster an environment on our tech teams and across MediaMath that promotes respect, trust and professional maturity. What you describe here is not common or acceptable from members of ... More

"Don't risk working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office. Good work life balance.

Cons

You're likely here because you're thinking of working at MediaMath or maybe you have an interview scheduled.

And like any big decision, you want to make sure you know where you'll land before you make the leap either from another job or maybe this is your first job out of college.

This review is a warning to you.

You see, choosing a job isn't just about earning a living.

It's about choosing the people you spend 8+ hours with a day, 5 days a week.

It's about putting your faith in the stewards of the company to make the right decisions.

Decisions that affect your life and livelihood.

If you have a family, the company's decisions affect how you can take care of your family and children.

If you're just starting your career, it will affect your career path.

Your decision to work at MediaMath is not a light one. It's not just about collecting a paycheck.

Here's my warning to you:

You cannot trust this company.

The biggest evidence is their secrecy. Nothing is ever discussed openly. They laid off an entire company all while smiling and giving signs that the company was doing fine to all employees before axing 10% of the workforce.

You can't trust working at a company that wants to hide information. Especially when that information would have reduced harm to their own employees.

"Strength in numbers, eh?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There are some great projects and people working at MediaMath. If you have an open mind, there is potential for exposure and growth

Cons

However, there is a chance your potential can be stunted by organizational ineffectiveness and nepotism. Its no surprise that people jumped ship before the it capsized. The classic hypergrowth into trainwreck start-up issues also seem to exist within the company.

Advice to Management

It would've been humane and transparent if the company internally acknowledged the bump in the road PRIOR to the lay-offs.

"Phonies"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and PTO. Really not much else, most are jaded - check out the review trend.

Cons

Everything else. When the head is stupid the body will suffer.

Advice to Management

It's astonishing how incompetent executives are at this company. Majority are carbon copies of themselves that just goes around smiling, saying industry buzzwords, and just waiting it out. Absolutely no value add.

"Don't judge book by its cover"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart People
    Good Office
    Great Location
    Interesting technologies
    Evolving industry

Cons

Low Pay
    Limited scope for impact and growth
    Perception doesn't match the reality

Advice to Management

Focus on internal culture as much as you focus on external branding

"Financial incentives for positive reviews"

Current Employee - Account Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot in my first year here.

Cons

after the round of layoffs i was approached by my manager and offered a financial incentive to post a positive review to glassdoor.

i refuse to do so. any company that offers money in exchange for positive attention following botched mass-firings is not a company that i want to work for.

May 11, 2016 – Community Manager

While we respect your right to voice your opinion about MediaMath’s leadership and strategy, we find it troubling that you would imply a manager would offer financial incentives to alter Glassdoor ... More

"Lay Offs: MediaMath is downplaying it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great friends and smart people that I will miss working with. There are a great number of talent people working for this company but I'm afraid their time is running short.

Great for those that enjoy the thrill of being aboard a sinking ship!

Cons

MediaMath had a great number of layoffs and as much as they are trying to spin it in a positive light with their Alpha program (program of "resources" to help those that were let go), the program is quite useless to the displaced workers. It's just an empty shell for PR. They could have helped these employees by giving them a lot more notice so they can start the search for a new job sooner. This Alpha team was conceived at least two months ago (February 2016) and all they came up with was a program that didn't really do anything. Now that's MediaMath efficiency.

There were signs of doom when management was trying to sell stock to its own employees on two separate occasions. Clearly, an IPO is not hopeful to management and they're trying to milk money from employees when they know that it's not worth the price. It's a disgraceful management team leading this company that will stop at nothing to get rich at the expense of their employees.

Word has it that there will be more lay offs coming. If you're looking to get a job at MediaMath, you should know that they have had hiring freezes and budget cuts since before the start of the year. MediaMath is not growing but in fact shrinking. My inside sources say there will be a lot more lay offs to come and that the fun, startup culture is just not there anymore.

Advice to Management

Give some more respect to the employees that helped build the business and give them longer notice. You're delusional to think your Alpha program is worth anything while giving employees same day notice.

Apr 14, 2016 – President, Commercial

There are some true things here, as well as some assertions that are not fair to your former colleagues here at MediaMath. Yes, MediaMath restructured into regionally-led sales teams and more agile ... More

"Chaos !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

"Unlimited Vacation" (in quotes) and other benifits

Cons

No work life balance, if you are an analyst or a similar grade employee. Apparently higher level employees can "work" from home but if analysts take a day off it is frowned upon. Managers can call about the progress of the work on a weekend at 7pm and thats ok but if you take an hour off for a doctors appointment thats not allowed

Advice to Management

Quality work comes from happy employees

Aug 4, 2015 – President

I certainly agree that quality work comes from happy employees, which is precisely why we offer our team strong benefits like unlimited paid time off (for real—no quotes) and equity, as well as perks ... More

"Would never work there"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good
    Chair massages onc ea week

Cons

Management is lost
    Development team is great, the management is micromanaged and then ignored when they have ideas
    projects are started and then abandoned
    People are leaving in droves because of management

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that merging with more companies and then having your development team run by external people who aren't even in the location where the development team is, is the right way to go. Your development is leaving because of management.