MediaMath Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, feel free to work from home (in 49 reviews)

• Smart people and hard problems everywhere, with every opportunity to create the job you want (in 31 reviews)

Cons

"Great opportunity for more technical experience"

Current Employee - Engineer In Test in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer In Test in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are talented, friendly and informative. The atmosphere is conducive to a strong work environment. The business seems sound and there appear to be lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and it means that not all facilities have time to keep up, ie the bathrooms can become crowded. And sometimes the climate control does not seems to be ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Fast-growing, exciting company and the best team I've ever worked with"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart team, from top to bottom. Tremendous opportunity to learn from peers and managers. Lots of exciting and innovative projects going on all the time. Employees are given the chance to own and drive important initiatives.

Cons

So much going on, it's hard to stay on top of it all. Need a better way to keep everyone plugged in to all the exciting things happening within the company.

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue to hire only the best!

"The best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MediaMath really invests in its people. The interview process is thorough and gives you a good sense of the people and the departments. The compensation is very competitive and the equity is actually meaningful (unlike many companies in this space). There are training programs that range from the industry ingeneral to specific functional areas. High performers are given opportunity to move across teams, departments, and countries, and MediaMath has actually encouraged employees to go out and start their startups (which more than a few have). It's a place the really recognizes the value of people.

Cons

There could be tighter links between some of the departments. Sometimes you find out that someone on another team was doing something similar, so as the company grows it needs to coordinate better between teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the commitment to people.

"MediaMath is the best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, wonderful culture, super smart colleagues, executives and managers who care about their employees.

Cons

We've grown so fast over the past year that we've outgrown our office space. We're short on conference rooms and desks, which is frustrating at times.

"MediaMath is a fun and exciting tech company to work forwith some of the brightest and welcoming people around!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The tech is exciting and fresh, the people are great and even though we are big it still has that start up feel.

Cons

Hard to know everyone now we have gotten so big.

"The best place I have ever worked and I've worked in many."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative freedom and respect for creativity, very smart people some industry leaders that came over from other companies, building software to explore, organize and simplify the frontier of online advertising, free snacks and drinks, fun environment with jokes and laughing (if you want), parties and activities if you want to participate in that (not mandatory), world class location, good pay, company growing 2x every year, good benefits, you are not condemned for a failure or a mistake because the company is doing so well there's margin for experimentation and exploration, working with Big Data and coming up with solutions to scale things massively, anyone can initiate a project and if you can deliver on it (however small) or demonstrate its efficacy you usually get the green light to go ahead with it. If you are creative and need a place to demonstrate it, this is it. The CEO is beyond words smart about this industry, inspirational and is really nice. The rest of the upper management is top notch too. Context: I'm a C++ programmer but I also do an equal amount of coding here with Perl, Node.js, Lua and Javascript. I use the scripting languages to quickly demonstrate proof of concept and then if necessary use C++ to code a faster version.

Cons

Sometimes a very free atmosphere is difficult for some people who want to be "managed" (not me). My part of the company, engineering, is more about spontaneous projects that fit within our domain, initiated by smart people and guided by a light touch of management. As with all companies there are pockets of imperfection. People are people and that always involves a bit of friction, especially if you are working with a motivated, self-confident, smart and ambitious crew.

Advice to Management

Don't make any drastic changes! 2x growth per year isn't something that needs fixing.

"Smart/fun people, great tech & product"

Current Employee - Product in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting work on bleeding edge technology and best-in-class software. Product team is exceptional. Have made lifelong friends and contacts here ... the intelligence and sense of humor bar is set high.

Cons

Benefits (health, 401k matching) could be better. Rapid growth, dynamic nature of industry and global presence can make focus challenging at times. Compensation on some teams is below average.

Advice to Management

Reduce size of the executive team. Better nurturing of in-house talent.

"An organization committed to employee career growth."

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rare group of clever, collaborative and kind staff. The benefits and perks are great and it's exciting to have equity (all employees do) in a company that's going places.

Cons

They're sometimes too kind when it comes to letting an occasional unwise hire linger. The pace of growth and proliferation of initiatives makes for some internal communication breakdowns.

Advice to Management

Keep the amazing culture intact and don't let all the success go to your heads. There could be another MediaMath in a garage somewhere. Keep your eye on the prize of being the Digital Marketing Platform of the future.

"My experience at MediaMath has been motivating, productive, and ever-evolving."

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Always learning something new
    - Surrounded by people that are not only smart, but collegial and care about the success of the organization
    - I trust the goals set forth by the executive team and always feel like they are doing what is in the best interest of the company and it's employees
    - The industry is changing on a weekly basis, which keeps you on your toes and provides for an exciting work atmosphere.

Cons

- Ever-evolving can sometimes mean constant re-org's and the feeling like you're not sure what you should be doing, but I think this comes with the territory at a high-growth organization.

Advice to Management

Keep all employees in the loop on company strategic goals and initiatives. And keep soliciting feedback.

"Great growth opportunities, incredible (and incredibly smart!) people"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are brilliant, exciting, fun, and incredibly driven. It's an incredibly innovative group and company. There's tremendous room for growth as long as you are a motivated, involved, and driven person. There's no room for "I don't know" which is really refreshing--everyone works hard to find an answer, or has at least attempted to find an answer before asking for help.

We also have a TON of fun together--you can't walk through the office without hearing laughter. It's a very collaborative environment, as you're always working with other departments.

Cons

There's been tremendous growth in the three years I've been here, and the culture/communication/management hasn't always kept up. It's a great culture, but the company didn't forsee having to spread that culture and ease of communication across regions and it's definitely noticeable.

Advice to Management

Understand and think about the long-term implications of rapid growth before moving forward with an acquisition--the revenue might be a great motivator, but you have to think about the consequences, i.e. how are you keeping this larger group engaged? Is everyone informed? Is everyone treated equally regardless of location?