MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 54 reviews)

• Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal (in 34 reviews)

1. "Finance"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing enviorment, great people, great perks, great work-life balance

Cons

None I can think of

2. "Great place for engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Mediamath for over a year. In Engineering it's a lot less top-down than I've seen at most other organizations both in terms of managerial structure or attitude as well as technology stack. There's a healthy lack of self-satisfaction in the technological status quo, and instead there seems to be a constant striving in doing things cheaper, faster, and better. This does not mean to say the environment is high-pressure because, on the contrary, I've found it to be one of the most relaxed places I've worked. We have unlimited PTO and it's for real, meaning if you are capable of delivering good results then no one questions when or how you go about it.

Other pros: People and culture are friendly and diverse; good benefits and free snacks; the view is awesome.

Cons

Onboarding could be better; wiki organization is pretty bad.

"Lots of hot air"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NYC office is beautiful (4 WTC). Very modern and cool, well stocked kitchen with lots of free snacks, etc. Plenty of conference rooms, all with great integrated technology (web cams, digital whiteboards, etc.) I found the compensation to be fair - even slightly better than fair. No annual merit increases though - only bonuses.

Cons

CRAMPED workspaces - tiny desk (not even full cube - more like a library kiosk but with less privacy), even for VP level.

If you are an "A player" who is not afraid to fail on occasion, you will not like it here. Decisions are only made by committee, and only after agonizing for months ( usually after the request has long since been forgotten about ) - meeting after meeting filled with buzzword bingo, constant need for a "more complete understanding of the request" before making decisions (in other words, keep kicking the can down the road). No real work is done. No real action. No ownership. Senior leadership recognizes it and says it openly but then does nothing about it but apologize.

If your hope is to get hired and disappear into a small corner, do mediocre work and be praised for it, this place is for you. If you're accustomed to taking charge, diving in and executing - forget it, you'll be immensely frustrated.

Advice to Management

Fire all the B-players (most of your upper management). Start fresh. Trim down on all the products and constant rebranding, pick one thing and get back to executing and being the market leader on it.

MediaMath Response

Aug 8, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Our open, collaborative environment is reflected in our space and in how we work with each other. We’ve found power in bringing smart people together to solve tough problems. For some that may look... More

4. "Great People & Learning Experience"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

-Incredibly smart and innovative employees
    -Collaborative spirit
    -Great benefits and company-wide events
    -Excellent work-life balance

Cons

-Some disconnect between leadership and employees
    -Insufficient compensation
    -Several org restructures
    -Lack of vision

5. "Exciting challenge1"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader and innovator in exciting growth sector. Building the marketing platform of tomorrow. Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal.

Cons

Navigating a complex sector, so priorities can change quickly.

Advice to Management

Focus on operating at scale and stay nimble while doing so.

6. "Software Engineer - NYC"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

-Company Culture
    -Work Hours
    -Benifits: Food, Massages, Happy Hours, 401k, Unlimited PTO, Health Insurance, Dental, Eye, Pet etc
    -Everyone is very smart
    -Work setup is top of the line
    So many more

Cons

-on boarding process isn't clear i.e. new hires what to do

"Lot of potential, great co-workers, arrogant leadership and lacks focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful office space
    Lots of potential to innovate
    Industry moves at a dizzying pace
    Wonderful co-workers
    Some differentiating products

Cons

1. UI from the 90s and the team lacks leadership and experience
    2. Lot of attrition
    3. Roles and responsibilities are muddy
    4. Senior leadership has a serious problem of saying 'No'. What makes it worse is that they spin up conversations and hand it off to Product Leaders without proper thought forethought into what the conversation can lead do.
    5. Non C-level leaders lack decision rights. They do not have the option of saying 'Yes' or 'No' to opportunities w/o taking it to Senior leadership
    6. Senior leadership is often arrogant and think of the competition as 'not worthy of their time'. While dreaming to compete with Google and Facebook is admirable, they are past the point of being ambitious to being delusional

Advice to Management

Delegate better. Give the leaders in your organization more decision rights. Bring in a culture of focus . Stay hungry and humble

"Proceed with a heavy dose of caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of snacks.
    Smart coworkers.
    Nice offices.

Cons

Where to begin... You will work with a lot of very smart people, but the amount of ego here is incredible. They think by hiring smart people that will make a great business but they forget to give them defined rolls and direction. And that all starts at the top. This company is one of the most poorly run businesses I've been apart of. The CEO is basically checked out. There is a lot of turnover in executive positions. 3 CFO's in 2 years. No head of HR for over a year. 3 execs lead the technology organization with not one being in charge. People's rolls are blurry at best and there is a lot of unnecessary crossover and confusion about where responsibility should land. They went on a huge hiring spree when the company was booming and even after a few layoffs they still have way too many people. So many people just seem to float around and get in the way. Making matters worse, a lot of these people have very inflated titles which makes telling them to stay in their lane more difficult. This company HAD huge potential and still could be a decent company but there is just leadership and desire to do what is necessary. Joe should step aside and get a fresh set of eyes on the business. On top of this, there is no discernible culture or vision.

MediaMath Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We are excited by the new energy and strength of the leaders brought in to take a high growth company about to celebrate 10 years, to the next level. And it’s working. We are having one of our best... More

9. "Good place for exposure"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people all round. There's always help whenever you request it.

Cons

Focus may be a little questionable in the individual teams. Disparity between ideas. Some teams are severely lagging (in terms of industry standards) in their core competencies (still using last touch attribution, manual trading etc)

Advice to Management

Stop being too fixated on old practices.

10. "Great Company with Smart People"

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trustworthy co workers
    Challenging environment
    Good reputation

Cons

Pay could be better
    Vision often shifts