KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MediaMath

Engaged Employer

MediaMath

Add a Review

MediaMath Employee Reviews about "mediamath"

Updated Aug 11, 2021

Found 53 of over 416 reviews

3.1
MediaMath CEO Neil Nguyen
Neil Nguyen

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Senior leadership recognizes it and says it openly but then does nothing about it but apologize.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Poor management, outdated product, missing revenue targets every year, this place is already going down(in 15 reviews)
  • "Massive layoffs just happened and in the midst of yet another re(in 11 reviews)
  • "The company is slow to acknowledge the need for higher headcount in teams, while raising the volume of work, while pay is low.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Poor salary(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "mediamath"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing people, fast paced, great challenges

Oct 22, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

No joke, this group of people is the best I have worked with in 15+ years. Smart, driven, eager to help, eager to learn, and fun to hang out with. We have grown especially fast over the past year and it's been quite exciting, with numerous cross-org opportunities. Comp is highly competitive and being part of the MediaMath is also a huge benefit--great resources and an incredible culture.

Cons

It's intense and you have to be ready for an always-on pace and an always-changing environment; it's all in the spirit of innovating the business, but it's challenging at times.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Think about your other options

Apr 19, 2019 - Management in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

MediaMath is a 10+ year old startup that still requires investment capital. Why? If you look at ad tech's growth and MediaMath's competitors set, they should be profitable and in a growth trajectory. What will you learn joining this company? You might get the opportunity to fix internal processes, save an account, fill in tech gaps with human power, try different roles, and meet smart people. If you like working for an underdog company, this could be a good fit. You will always be up against Google or other companies that have stronger engineering talent. If you like having constant change, this might also be a good fit. There are reorgs almost every year or reorgs still carrying on from the last reorg. Adtech is always changing and companies like MediaMath need to adapt to both trends and changing political climates.

Cons

If you are coming from a more established technology company and you are not looking for an aging startup environment, this will likely disappoint you. You are used to larger organizations with smart people who make logical decisions. There are checks and balances that keep large orgs with good products and market viability in a positive trajectory. This is not that. Instead of making decisions on behalf of future success, many people in power like to go on power trips and set up the company to fail. Read other reviews here. Do your research in the ad tech space. Look at the companies that grow year over year. Dollars are flowing to the companies that have viable solutions for advertisers. Also look into what type of investments ad tech companies take. Some go public (IPO), some get venture capital, some take private equity. Those investments are not all equal. This information is available with a quick Google search. Do you want to work long hours, make meaningful changes in your small sector of responsibility, and be a positive change agent but never receive any praise or reward? You might enjoy it here. MediaMath is medium sized business. That gives senior leadership an unhealthy amount of power. They are a group of like minded individuals that like each other and their own ideas. They do not like outsiders. They do not like to hear constructive criticism. They are quick to adopt a trend or mindset without deep thinking. The middle manager sector of the company is large and unwieldy. Do talk to current or ex employees. Do the same for other ad tech companies. Ad tech firms are struggling as most marketing dollars go to the top three companies. Be aware of double-speak in your interviews. Are they just talking to talk? Are they saying anything of value in succinct sentences?

25 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good luck if you work in a satellite office

Mar 12, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

MediaMath can be a fun company to work for and it is growing fast and it seems like there are good opportunities on the horizon. The executive team is made up of extremely smart and motivating individuals.

Cons

Compensation is low and benefits are expensive. Good luck trying to get ahead or noticed if you work in a satellite office. HR only seems to care about getting good reviews on job boards, but when it comes to actually listening to employee questions and concerns, they disappear and/or seem completely clueless. They appear to be incapable of handling the company's rapid growth. The HR business partners have no idea what is happening if you don't work out of the NY office.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Fun place to be

May 22, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company. great people, fun work environment. Everyone is fairly young and come from very different backgrounds, not necessarily in ad tech. MediaMath does a good job onboarding new employees and teaching clients about the industry and their operating system.

Cons

Pay your employees more money!

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overall good, but pay needs improvement

Sep 10, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are incredibly empowered here. You have an idea to make things better, great, present it! Decisions are made very quickly and the company is very agile, so if you like moving at a fast pace and getting things done quickly, this place is right for you . Most of the management truly supports the employee experience and wants employees to love working here. They take feedback pretty seriously and really use it to try and improve things at MediaMath.

Cons

The pay is not competitive and is below where it needs to be. Please stop trying to “sell” us on equity making up for the difference. While it’s certainly great in theory, for the majority of us it means nothing right now when we’re trying to make ends meet in some of the most expensive cities in the world.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Product Manager

Apr 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Work life balance is great 2. Lot of interesting problems to solve 3. Co-workers are great

Cons

Mediamath has gone from a democracy and meritocracy to one man shouting orders from the ivory tower. Product leadership, while open to suggestions, has not laid out a clear vision for what is it that Mediamath is vying to do in the next 2-5 years. While I understand revenue is king, queen and the kingdom, the lack of product vision is seriously concerning. If we decided to prioritize our clients' demands as opposed to having the same priority on EVERYTHING and spent some time and engineering resources on building a solid product, we could possibly cut down the amount of money we spend on schmoozing the clients with fancy lunches and dinners and actually sell them a product that serves their need, than a constant promise for a better future. it also doesn't help that it is one person running the show. The CEO isn't as engaged as he used to be. Mediamath is surviving because of the stature of the CEO as a visionary in the ad-tech space. People in product are falling like flies and the place has a feel of a sinking ship.

23 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee

Strength in numbers, eh?

May 20, 2016 -  in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some great projects and people working at MediaMath. If you have an open mind, there is potential for exposure and growth

Cons

However, there is a chance your potential can be stunted by organizational ineffectiveness and nepotism. Its no surprise that people jumped ship before the it capsized. The classic hypergrowth into trainwreck start-up issues also seem to exist within the company.

28 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Intern

Internship Programme

Dec 5, 2016 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

With the MediaMath internship programme I managed to learn a lot by working in the Finance department. Everyone was so helpful. I would definitely recommend to recent grads and to people who would like to try a new challenge by doing an internship in a different area (as I did) and I do not regret at all. This internship allowed me to learn and develop new skills and at the same time I managed to prove myself of what I was capable of doing. Of course none of this could happen if I wasn't working in an environment which is very accessible and I am glad for that. In my opinion, working in an accessible environment made me work without being afraid of making mistakes and in the end I believe I got compensated for that by improving my skills and work harder.

Cons

It is a non paid internship. However you get the same benefits as any other employee form the company.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Back on the move!

Mar 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

MediaMath is a wonderful culture filled with really smart folks and I am learning here like never before in my career. I'm finally being challenged to bring my 'A' game every day and I'm realizing that I can make a huge difference in the company's success. It's so refreshing to be on a team full of superstars! I really like the strategy that this company is executing but even more, I LOVE the trajectory!

Cons

If you're looking for a startup that's burning through cash, this isn't your place. Management takes a responsible and pragmatic view of financials which, I believe, will unlock impressive growth.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

What happens when consultants and salesmen take over a tech company?

Apr 22, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some brilliant people, great work-life balance, countless interesting problems to solve. The company is well positioned to win big in the space.

Cons

Upper management is unable or unwilling to make the necessary investment to seize the market opportunity available to MediaMath. A generous series C was squandered on an army of sales and account people, plus a thoroughly useless 'product planning' team. Now they've had to turn around and lay off all those people, only to discover that the technology has fallen far behind the offerings of our nimbler and better-financed peers. The CEO is a fool. The presidents, Mike and Ari, are brilliant but completely out of touch with reality. The company's new restructuring won't save it: for the most part it's more of the same poor judgement. Two of the three business units are now headed by sales types with no understanding of - or interest in - the technology they're meant to be selling. Executive leadership claims to be investing in the product again, but the proof's in the pudding and there isn't any pudding yet.

39 people found this review helpful