MediaMelon Reviews | Glassdoor

MediaMelon Reviews

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Talented and smart team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MediaMelon full-time

Pros

Talented, hard-working and friendly team. Great work culture - collaborative, ideas- and results- driven. Super-smart CEO, with great industry relationships and product knowledge. Great industry to work in - technology combined with media & entertainment. Company is solving an important problem, which is streaming in better quality to various connected devices. It has been one of the best work experiences for me so far. I left the company due to relocation for family reasons.

Cons

The team has offices in three different locations, making communication challenging, but that is how it is with most companies these days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great team to work with."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MediaMelon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great people. The key people in the company and the CEO are focused and smart. They work well together and have good relationships in the industry.
    2. Good execution. They have some very large deals in place with major carriers and are executing very well. They also have some good financial backers but they have not marketed these things as much.
    3. Interesting market at the intersection of technology and media - Making internet videos play better for various devices is of growing importance.

Cons

1. If you want a place where you get a lot of handholding you might get frustrated but if you are smart and driven you will enjoy this company, you will be quickly valued and you will have a lot of say in the company.

Advice to Management

More operational hires needed as the company expands.

"Cool tech. Very disorganized."

Pros

- Compensation is so-so
    - People are generally nice
    - Cool technology (in theory)
    - Decently flexible schedule (in theory)

Cons

- SUPER disorganized. No one knows what's going on (after four months, I was still finding new people that work for us, and it's a 20 person company), sales get stalled when the engineers don't respond to customer questions (and sales people are told not to respond at all after engineers are brought in), no one even seems to know who's going to be in the office on a certain day (I've even come in several times and been unable to unlock the door).

- No formal training or introduction, but you get blamed when you do something in a way other than what the CEO or one of the managers wants.

- CEO and other managers are often at odds with vision, branding, priorities, and how they want things done, so be prepared to hear completely different things from different people, and told to ignore what the other party is telling you.

- CEO puts hard limits on what he wants people doing, so some things don't get done even if other employees could easily do them.

- Pay is very inconsistent. One of our sales/marketing guys waited for over a month after his payment was due to be paid, and was killed in overdrafts by his bank for being unable to pay bills.

- CEO isn't a bad guy, but tries to do everyone's job and doesn't manage at all. This causes a lot of stuff to fall through the cracks (ex. payment, responding to questions, responding to customers, getting clear answers from engineering, etc.)

- Responsibilities are often unclear, or CEO gives very specific directions and then blames you when those directions did not produce the result he wanted.

***Be warned about promised benefits. All new "employees" (as far as I am aware) in the last several months have initially believed to be coming on as full employees but were instead brought on as contractors (some were told they would be on as contractors but then transitioned to employee status, but this has never happened), without the benefits that being a full employee would entail.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to do everyone's job, and manage the company. Find a way to keep yourself organized (hire another EA), train people to do the job you want them to do, and give them the tools and freedom to do it.

""Exceptional People Who Challenge and Inspire""

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MediaMelon full-time

Pros

I have been working full-time for Media Melon for two months now and I absolutely love it! These are truly some the smartest and coolest people that I've every worked with. Their content-aware streaming technology is truly ground breaking and I'm excited to be working with Kumar (CEO) and team to take this start-up to the next level.

Cons

Some people may have issues with global companies because of the early or late calls, but I've always worked for global companies so I'm very used to it and so that has never been an issue for me.

Advice to Management

Keep on rocking you are awesome!

"Challenging Work. Exciting Technology."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MediaMelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compelling and innovative product
    Large and growing market
    Company has some very large customers and partners, and has built strong technical lead in various critical areas related to large-scale content routing.
    Great work culture - easy to share ideas, relatively flat organizational structure, talented employees.

Cons

Some of the key individuals are in other locations but we use various tools to make it easy to coordinate and work together.

6. "good technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at MediaMelon (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Work. Less employees. Nothing hard and fast rules. Those who loves to work, can work here. Lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

You may not get those benifits that others offer.

7. "Good"

Pros

Good work environment and good technical work.

Cons

Distributed operations and sketchy roadmap.

"Poor management. Lack of vision."

I worked at MediaMelon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was at a time a good technology to get into. This had attracted good folks to work here.

Cons

Poor management and lack of vision. CEO micromanages technology teams and has no clue of technological details. Promises a lot to customers and expects tech team to deliver it overnight. Inspite of toiling around employees are not valued. No trust towards employees. Most of the good employees left due to this.

Technology is saturated.

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at MediaMelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is an excellent salesperson and can sell ice to eskimos.

Cons

He tells customers we have everything and expects the engineering team to deliver it by next day. Totally tries to micromanage and does not trust anyone to do their job.