Mediaplanet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • You get to describe yourself a Project Manager which sounds, good even though you're a cold caller (in 11 reviews)

• A ton of authority given to young people -- ability to network with high level individuals and learn a lot in a short period of time (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High staff-turnover among project managers (in 14 reviews)

• Low base salary, and commission comes when you really 'get it' (in 12 reviews)

1. "Wonderful learning experience where I gained an understanding of sales and marketing."

Current Employee - Project Manager - Publisher in New York, NY

I have been working at Mediaplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office community, positive and encouraging environment, helpful coworkers and managers, open-air office, plenty of incentives, overall happy atmosphere and employees.

Cons

Lack of initial and continual training, little room for upward mobility, too far from home, little to no emphasis on client retention and managing relationships in my role.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more training for new employees as well as continual training in sales tools. The company gives every employee the same basic training and it definitely isn't enough for everyone who works at Mediaplanet as a PM.

2. "Fun Office"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Mediaplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a young and fun office. They provide you with a supportive environment to do your work. It was an overall positive experience in my time there.

Cons

The salary is almost not livable in New York City. The payment plan is monthly for your salary and quarterly for your commission. The office is expanding so a lot of their campaigns overlap and are done multiple times in a year. Their training program could be more comprehensive.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of listening to your project managers and matching them with the right titles. If you ask someone if they are okay with a specific title and they tell you "No," then don't give them that title.

"Don't get your hopes up"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mediaplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool working environment, full of young sales/marketing professionals

Cons

Titles for publications are hit/miss which is where the potential for commission is provided. There's no opportunity to sell print at outrageous prices anymore - print is dead. They shut down offices with just days notice (4 days to be exact) - don't count on them for anything long term.

Advice to Management

Realize people work at your company, not numbers.

"Tough Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mediaplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot! The office was fun, hip and young. If you can do this you can sell anything because selling advertisements in newspapers are hard

Cons

poorly managed, only out for the $$$ the company will make. Brings in young impressionable people to take advantage of

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to get some management who has experience. Management who can teach people rather than just letting them make fools of themselves.

"Rewarding, Stressful, Fun, Hard Work, Empowering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mediaplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is going in the right direction and in the time I've been employed it has grown insanely! It's sales so you know what, yes it's stressful sometimes but what job isn't? It's a young, fun but extremely driven crowd and Mediaplanet gives us a pretty cool platform to grow. The product is constantly developing and I truly believe there are some pretty cool opportunities on the horizon and I'm excited to see not only how I can grow at this company but how the company itself grows. I would say if you do not have any desire to be on the phone (there are calls involved) or deal with client relations then this position isn't for you. But if you enjoy fast-moving timelines and are driven to do whatever it takes to succeed, Mediaplanet gives you the tools. A lot of growth opportunity but it is definitely a lot of work!

Cons

It can definitely be stressful! There are sales involved which comes with ups and downs. Some people have complained about "cold-calling" but it's not like Wolf of Wallstreet stuff by any stretch of the imagination. We are calling clients that make sense for our publications and have some sort of initiative that aligns. There is also a lot of potential to make really good money in the form of commission, but the overall base salary is a little low.

"Fast paced work environment with opportunity for high pay"

Former Employee - Publisher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Publisher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Mediaplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incentives for trips and big bonuses were great. Great to have agency experience or know the ins-outs of advertising, otherwise you're starting from scratch.

Cons

Played loud pop music and fed us sugar and coffee to keep us stimulated and energized. Bonuses were rarely achieved. Pitted teams within as competitors vs. celebrating individual achievements.

Advice to Management

Give more insight on how to land ads with agencies. Celebrate each paper printed as it's a feat on its own.

"Before you interview"

I worked at Mediaplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're given the opportunity to interview, do yourself a favor and interview. You'll be pleasantly surprised. The time I spent there was a great learning experience, and while everyone has things they would change about their job (the same is true for me where I am now), my experience was overall positive. I still use it as a big selling point on my resume-- because i learned how to sell really well, because it gave me a ton of responsibility right after school, because I learned how manage time and work under pressure. I was happy to see how many people are impressed with what I accomplished at Mediaplanet when I decided to leave. There are a lot of us who speak very well of MP, and it benefits us to do this because it's good for us to have worked at a good company.

Cons

Is there music playing? Yes. Is it a young atmosphere? Yes. Can sales be stressful? Yes. I can definitely see why it may not be for everyone, but it also may be a great match if you know what you're looking for. I would make sure to ask a lot of questions on your interview and be upfront about what you're looking for.

"Mediaplanet Overview"

Current Employee - Mediaplanet Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mediaplanet Employee in New York, NY

Pros

For those interested in learning more about MP, here are some up to date facts

• The New York office is the top performing division of the company. It grew by 50% last year!
    • There are leadership and development initiatives to promote talent from within. Internal growth is a big part of the company.
    • Mediaplanet is consistently winning editorial and marketing awards
    • International company with opportunities for travel (all 300 global employees went to Greece last Summer)
    • Strong alumni network (individuals who have been with Mediaplanet for many years and have gone on to start their own business, join Yahoo, Facebook, Microsoft, Hearst, etc.)

Cons

• The company has been around for 13 years, but is in its 7th year in New York. We are growing and maturing every day, learning from experience and the feedback of our current and former employees (including what we see on here!)
    • Those looking for a corporate structure may not find us the best fit, but we encourage you to come in and see for yourself.
    • Company has a Sales, Finance and Content and Production Team. If you apply for a "Content Marketing Sales" position, you will be part of the sales team!

"Stressful, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Project Manager - Publisher in New York, NY

I have been working at Mediaplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very young office that still allows you lots of autonomy and room for creativity, all within an extremely supportive atmosphere. I think some older more negative reviews were written before a management change took place. Now, the office is beautiful and well-maintained, and everyone seems to have a very positive attitude. Good balance of work/play, and a solid benefits/perks structure. Also, even as a recent graduate, you are exposed to so many different careers throughout the duration of your project (social media strategy, strategic partnerships, marketing, publishing, editing, design), that it is a really unique stepping stone that will open doors to a lot of other places and opportunities. Also, you will leave here after a year with a solid and tangible portfolio of projects that you can truthfully say you were 100% involved in from inception to completion.

Cons

More sales oriented than I would necessarily like, but ultimately you as a project manager get to determine how you want to approach your campaign. Cold calls do happen routinely, but again, it is up to you how you wish to approach reaching out to potential clients that would be a strong fit for your campaign. Another con for some would be the stressful nature of this job. It can be a huge emotional roller-coaster, with really frustrating days followed by uplifting and fulfilling ones. Since you are given so much responsibility, this can be an extremely stressful job at times, and definitely doesn't fit within the typical "9-5" structure. If you aren't willing to put in a little extra work on the weekends and after hours, you will not do well here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I have only been here for less than a year, but I was happy when I started, and truthfully things have only continued to improve.

"RUN - away."

I worked at Mediaplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young environment
    Will be comfortable calling anyone after this job
    Company incentives and rewards (on occasion & when your numbers are good)

Cons

Working for a company who is blacklisted by many others as SPAM - is the first speed bump you'll be encounter as a project manager at any Mediaplanet location. As a project manager you are given a campaign title -- with previous examples of it from the past. You will not be able to pick a campaign you believe in, instead it has to be one that's already been done, which means you'll face tons of hurdles with the previous ad space companies complaining of not seeing a return in investment and new companies not seeing any positives to being inside a Wall Street Journal.

As a PM you will not write editorial, pick photographs or graphics, or really do anything but sell the Ad space. I got to complete 4 different campaigns and with each one all my designs, ideas and editorial goals were veto'd after I did all the work in selling the ad space. Also know if you are a new hire, and two others have just joined MP, most likely 2 of you will be let go. That was the worst thing I witnessed working here. The lack of appreciation and the high school clique vibe they utilize to team up and finish certain campaigns but not others is absurd and not inspiring.

Out of 50 cold calls a day--usually they want you to make 100-- you'll be bound to get at least 30 telling you that these mediaplanet campaigns are glorified ads placed inside newspapers and they have requested multiple times to be taken off our media planet call list. The system in which one is supposed to keep track of clients, contact and information has zero company benefits, and you'll end up having to have a personal spread sheet and input one into a system that no one utilizes or ever explains.

After each day you'll be told to find "a new angle" and come back the next day with 100 new companies and contacts to reach out to. Your social life, or any life will diminish with this job.

To the senior management, just because you've "been there" doesn't mean you understand what we are going through as PM's in 2015. Selling ad space in a flyer in a newspaper in 2015 will probably be over and done with in 2 years. Time are changing, people don't want to waste money on this BS anymore.

Advice to Management

Give options to campaign topics
    Don't fire someone after one campaign fail
    If you are giving the PM a campaign let them design it, stop making them do all the grunge work to have a team take over the rest and the PM's name go to the bottom of the credits.