Mediaspace Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Mediaspace Solutions full-time

Pros

I have worked at a few different media agencies over the years and this one tops them all. Great people, the ability to speak your mind and great atmosphere. With the new office it makes it feel like one big family. Great vacation to start, most other media companies you don't get squat. There is beer on tap and they take care of their employees with healthy snacks available. With exercise machines on site and bikes to ride outside, it's a great place for anyone.

Cons

Every company has little things that people might not like, just like in a relationship with a significant other. Believe me, these little thing wouldn't be anything to break out the divorce papers about.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within so you know people understand the company as they reach the higher positions.

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Hopkins, MN

I worked at Mediaspace Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for alcoholics and strives to be a cool and hip workplace.

Cons

Lots of favoritism and nepotism by upper management. Very unprofessional where even upper management is openly gossiping about other employees to subordinates.

Advice to Management

Focus on people who actually work hard versus people who are just likable alcoholics.

3. "Yuck"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hopkins, MN

I worked at Mediaspace Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, good technology for us to use, taproom in the conference room.

Cons

I got fired for doing my job. Actually, I was doing it better than a few people who kept their jobs. Unfortunately, I just didn't fit in with the peeps who've been there a long time. I'm not loud, I don't try hard to be different , I'm not obnoxious and I don't do inappropriate things amongst my co-workers, which seems to be a requirement on how to get along at Mediaspace.

Advice to Management

Judge people by their own uniqueness and what qualities they bring to the bottom line. By retaining only people who are like the others, you get zero growth, no culture and garbage results.

4. "All I Can Say is "WOW"."

Former Employee - Sales in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Hopkins, MN

I worked at Mediaspace Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some great, honest, and very talented employees, mixed with those who were the opposite.
    Free Beer
    Randy, the CEO, gets a lot of crap on here, but he is a good and effective leader. I only know him from reporting to him as an employee, but I took the time to ask him questions and learn about his history. Now, if he would remove passive-aggressive leaders in the office (and he knows who they are), this could become a great company and his online reputation will improve.

Cons

I could write a novel about this place
    Passive-aggressive management (not senior-level management)
    Old-school micromanaging (no working from home, regardless of circumstances)
    Totally different job compared to what was sold to me in the interview
    Training - A crazy concept, but an absolute necessity
    Dying industry

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and remove passive-aggressive people, who are a drain on the company and resources.

"Not what I was told it would be"

Pros

The CEO bakes cookies. They offer free beer at all hours. Can't think of anything further in the Pros column.

Cons

The job wasn't anything like I was told it would be. The atmosphere is way too clique-ish with loads of bro-mances. I had reservations before accepting the job and I should have listened to my gut instincts and gone elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Grow up! Be honest about what a job entails and stick to that. Not right to keep track of items from day one and bring it up after 90 days.

"Be honest..."

Pros

Like many smaller companies you'll learn very early on that you'll be required to wear many hats. Some aren't a fan of that however, I personally loved it and thrived. I liked having a hand in all aspects of the company to better learn the business, however this wasn't always by choice since not every department was held at the same level of accountability.

Cons

A few things they need to seriously reevaluate:

Training: Setup an actual training program with printouts for new hires to reference when onboarding or when accounts get transitioned to a new coordinator/manager.

Accountability: Hold everyone to the same standards. This company really needs to breakdown the department divisions and start working as a team. It's a domino effect, if someone drops the ball it affects everyone from buyers, account services, all the way up to finance.

Compensation: Pay your employees what they're worth. If you consistently see certain employees putting in overtime when others are not, maybe its time to reevaluate the workloads or managers, step up and help them. Don't brush off subordinates when they specifically ask for help.

Management: When they say they'll go to bat you on a raise, issue, etc. they won't, however they will lead you to believe they did and will use the CEO as a scapegoat saying something to the effect of - we don't have it in the budget or you shouldn't be rewarded for stepping up, it's expected. Also, this is the level where division really steams from - managers in all departments have beef with one another and explicitly express their sentiments and "warn" others not to trust other managers. *RED FLAG

Executive Management: No vision or direction. When you read reviews talking about MSS as a boys club and nepotism, they're 100% on point.

Advice to Management

Coffee dates where you pretend to listen to your employees and then pressuring them to leave positive reviews to counteract the negative ones is really not an ethical move. Instead of being so concerned about controlling MSS' image, try fixing the issues.

7. "Great Company - Fantastic Atmosphere"

I worked at Mediaspace Solutions full-time

Pros

When you work at Mediaspace, you are family. If you do your job well they will take care of you and ensure that you have the support network internally that you need to complete your job.

Cons

As with all Media companies, the Salaries are a bit low.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within wherever possible.

"Too bad one star is the lowest rating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN

Pros

There's beer. That's about it.

Cons

Clueless management doesn't even know how clueless they are. The phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" comes to mind.

Bizarrely high employee turnover reflects haphazard management style. They show zero interest in keeping good employees.

If the CEO was any less effective, he'd be a potted fern.

Advice to Management

Open a hot dog cart, see how that goes.

"Poorly managed boys club"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Mediaspace Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some of the people you will work with are nice
    they like to drink

Cons

lots of internal issues like training + processes
    ceo contributes nothing + president can't handle operations + selling at all
    finance needs more support
    ceo just hires his friends + family
    no hr department
    lots of gossip + division between teams
    lack of accountability
    low salaries

Advice to Management

new ceo

10. "Solid and Stable"

I have been working at Mediaspace Solutions full-time

Pros

I am an active employee that has worked at Mediaspace for several years. I am not part of the Leadership team, but have worked at enough companies to have perspective and to address some of the comments I’ve seen. So, forgive the cheerleading; I just want to provide my view as a happy employee because, hands down, this is the most enjoyable company for whom I have ever worked.

Benefits: The company offers 401k matching and Medical/Dental/Vision. Mediaspace pays the entire premium for Medical plan.

Stability: Mediaspace has exceeded goals every year since I’ve been here. That means that those who are on a bonus plan have received bonuses. Currently, we are on track to surpass goals again this year. This repeated success should clue-in anyone to the success of Mediaspace’s leadership.

Professional Fulfillment: Employees are given a lot of room to pursue ideas and make an impact to process and numbers. I’ve really enjoyed seeing my ideas implemented; this is not something I’ve previously experienced at large companies or top-down authoritative ones.

Leadership: Every executive is really approachable and it’s clear that they are attempting to foster an environment of collaboration with staff. It’s true that the CEO made cookies for the employees, one day. They were awful. But I’d rather have an executive team that cares enough to make horrible cookies than one that I’m afraid to talk to or doesn’t know my name. In my experience, the CEO and executive team are dedicated and effective. The proof is in the numbers.

Final thought --- I feel encouraged to express my concerns. I come in every morning excited for the day and leave feeling good about what I’ve done. I enjoy my work and have balance to enjoy my family, too. If you are willing to stick your neck out and try new things or influence change---this company supports it.

Cons

No company is without issues; certainly not this one. It appears to me that Mediaspace is the beneficiary of a declining industry. Hopefully, this means continued success through short and mid-terms. But long-term, this will catch up. Mediaspace needs to expedite development of a long-term revenue alternative, either organically or through acquisition.