Medical College of Wisconsin Reviews | Glassdoor

Medical College of Wisconsin President & CEO John R. Raymond
John R. Raymond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, some departments(not mine) show favoritism (in 8 reviews)

• Need more options for work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Experiences will vary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Though some will complain that benefits aren't as good as they once were, for many staff they are still very good/competitive in current market. It offers an opportunity to work in an environment where individuals, be them faculty, researchers, or staff can all contribute to initiatives that improve health, education, research and patient care.

Cons

Research support is poor. There are few staff opportunities for advancement. Professional development is preached but seldom practiced. Annual performance evaluations as currently implemented are abstract, subjective and borderline useless to management and staff alike. Some areas like IS and HR are high turnover and understaffed. Compensation and culture vary from area to area. The worst are quite bad, but the best are outstanding. MCW is massive, but this explains why reviews and experiences differ so widely.

Advice to Management

Talent is the defining resource of your institution. Don't bother with engagement surveys only to be defensive about the results. If you see a division or department with high turnover, it's an indictment of the culture there, and leadership must answer for it. In my time at MCW I've worked both for my best and worst supervisors in 20 years.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We value and consider all feedback and will continue to find ways to improve.

2. "Resident Physician"

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time

Pros

Higher than average salary for residents, great support from MCWAH for residents.

Cons

Higher than average medical insurance premium.

3. "Coding Specialist"

Former Employee - Coding Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Coding Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very well known Business and offers a chance to move up into a position you are interested in.

Cons

Never had any problems there.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin and appreciate the comments.

4. "Limited Advancement Within Department"

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great people work here and the research is inspiring. The vast amount of knowledge in the research cores is impressive.

Cons

HR seems disconnected and the only way to advance is to switch departments. There could be a lot more cohesion between departments.

Advice to Management

Take some of the advice on the company website's reading list and promote from within the department once in awhile. A promotion after 3-5 years of experience in a department shouldn't be another 2-4 year battle with HR.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your review regarding your experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin . We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring feedback to our attention. Your response will allow us... More

5. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and excellent benefits.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

6. "Financial Assistant"

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good and easy to get it.

Cons

Hard to advance career anf hiring process is kind of difficult.

7. "Content Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working with people passionate about patient care.

Cons

Need more options for work life balance.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your response. We will consider all feedback and look for ways to improve.

"So-So Healthcare Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant

Pros

I guess I should be happy that it's offered at all.

Cons

Never had to pay so much out of pocket in medical bills by having employer offered coverage. Feels like a ploy to force me to switch to Medical College of WI physicians.

Advice to Management

Stop searching for ways to deny claims. Offer a more common carrier like United Healthcare or Blue Cross.

9. "Biostatistician I"

Current Employee - Bio Statistician I in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Bio Statistician I in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

Academia, so not too rigorous, pretty laid back, pretty good benefits

Cons

Sick days accrue very slowly

"I dodged the bullet! Senior AA in Surgical Oncology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people were nice. I was a temp who received 1 day of training due to an emergency need. I was expected to know the job as if I had full training. I was promised if I did a good job I would be recommended for a permanent position; however, I was not given the training necessary to be efficient. Therefore, when I took to long to figure out where a document went, who should receive notification of a call, or how to upload CDs (because I needed to find someone myself to teach me) I was interrogated, questioned about the work flow I had, and my process for doing everything. If I asked how to do something, 99% of the time whatever it was, was taken out of my hand and I was told they (other AA'S) would do it. I was expected to know the urgency of certain documents and CD uploading without being told anything about the importance of the processes.

Cons

There was no one willing to teach me anything. It was easier for the manager to come down and interrogate me rather than taking the time to teach me anything. If I asked one group of people, whom I was encouraged to ask for direction by the person who trained me for 1 day, I was reprimanded. I did not know the appropriate chain of command and I was doing what I was told to do. Nonetheless, at every turn, I was criticized. With every task that I made a small mistake in, that task was taken away from me rather than someone helping me understand how to complete the task and what the priority level was. This was once an organization I hoped to become employed with, today, I am glad I walked out. There was no way I was given what I needed to succeed, much less, the ability to do a good job and be recommended for a permanent position.

Advice to Management

Rather than just trying to fill a position with a body, take into consideration that person is there to assist the organization in getting over it's temporary need. That body you have placed in that role temporarily is a human being who most likely has the desire to succeed. Rather than just interrogating a person (who is trying to process a bunch of information and is in an entirely different culture) have some compassion when that person is not able to articulate exactly what you are asking because he/she has only had one day of training and been present fir 3 weeks. It is ridiculous how I was made to feel and I am sorry I even bothered helping the way I did because now I could never work there, even if I wanted to.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your review regarding your experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin. We will continue to find ways to improve to help our organization grow.