Medical College of Wisconsin Reviews | Glassdoor

Medical College of Wisconsin Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Academia, so not too rigorous, pretty laid back, pretty good benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Good work/life balance although there is alot of variability among departments (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, some departments(not mine) show favoritism (in 8 reviews)

• Need more options for work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work."

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician II in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician II in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some very bright and fun people. The work is very rewarding and interesting. The cafeteria was pretty decent.

Cons

There always seemed to be construction that could make it difficult at times to navigate either outside or within buildings.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing.

"Inclusive but not sure of transparency"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator III in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator III in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are hands down, second to none. From health to dental, wellness to discounts and programs for back-up care... MCW really covers it all. The costs are low, too, and there are multiple levels of insurance coverage to be purchased for medical, dental, and vision. Because it's an educational institution, I felt supported in my desire to obtain an additional degree. I also had the opportunity to draw from a wide pool of professionals as a mentor.

Cons

Staff and Faculty working together. Many faculty are MDs and feel they are better than staff members despite the staff person having years of experience and credentials asserting their expertise. Some issues with transparency at the department level, particularly with life-long employees. The benefits are SO good that I think some people refuse to leave therefore making everyone around them suffer.

Advice to Management

Do a complete turn over of Human Resources. Your issues with retaining and recognition are in part because of the bad HR policies we have regarding internal promotion - either you know the right person or it will never happen. Also, it's time to add on to the parking garage and build a walkway over 87th street.

3. "Biomedical research in Milwaukee"

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of few options in Milwaukee for academic research. Decent support for career development from the institution

Cons

Still trying to find its way to be competitive with regional universities

4. "Coder"

Current Employee - Coder in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Coder in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, decent health insurance, ability to work remote a couple of days per week from home.

Cons

Management/supervisors could make employees feel more respected and appreciated.

Advice to Management

See cons.

"Medical College of Wisconsin IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Stable employment with predicable amount of work load

Cons

Extremely unprofessional environment, adversarial relationships within IT department and with other departments, no career path or real career growth of any kind, no professional development, poor work-life balance, no ability to work from home

Advice to Management

Offer work-from-home opportunities and career growth to staff

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

great company to work for, great benefits. Opportunity to grow within the organization and it is very flexible.

Cons

I do not think there is anything negative about MCW. I would recommend adding a work from home policy that allows employees a little bit more flexibility.

"Not Worth Long-Term Employment"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. One of the very few places in the Milwaukee area for biotechnology.

Cons

Low pay. Benefits eroding. Too top heavy. Near impossible to get a raise or promotion unless you're working for a manager who is willing to go to bat for you.

I ended up getting fired ("voluntarily resigned") because I refused the flu shot. If you don't mind not having a choice in getting the flu shot then by all means, get a job at MCW. I was in my first trimester of pregnancy with a strong family history of autoimmune diseases. My medical exemptions - one signed by my primary care provider the other signed by my midwife - were both denied as the reason didn't comply with CDC guidelines. To add, I had zero patient contact so the risk of transmission was the same as going to the grocery store.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat on top. Value all of your employees. Get rid of mandatory medications in order to work there.

"physician - anesthesiologist"

Former Employee - Staff Physician/Assistant Clinical Professor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Staff Physician/Assistant Clinical Professor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time

Pros

Challenging cases. Some surgeons are good.

Cons

Very adversarial work environment between FMLH administration and anesthesiology department. There is a vacuum of "leadership" in the department which is run by an egomaniac. Staff are not well qualified, many are not even board-certified.

"Good company, Depending"

Former Employee - Editorial/Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Editorial/Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here from mid-April 2015 to mid-Nov 2015 as a temp. employee. The position was pitched to my by the staffing agency as being temp-with a high likelihood of going permanent. Well, things suddenly got very reshuffled and that prospect went out the window. The departments are very siloed, there can be a lot of political bickering when change comes about. The departments I'm in are slowly transitioning from being very "old boy's club" to something more inclusive and modern, and there are growing pains. That being said, it seems that the permanent employees are mostly satisfied with the way the company takes care of them/the perks/etc.

Cons

Opaque management. Redundancy. Slow to change. Redundancy.

Advice to Management

Be more clear cut about your expectations. Spend more time training employees. Be more apt to listen to employee ideas and remove barriers to improvement.

"Systems Specialist II"

Former Employee - Systems Specialist II in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Systems Specialist II in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally a good place to work, with good benefits and employee policies.

Cons

As of 2015 the College is expanding and changing very quickly, and some employees are being left behind. Even if you're enthusiastic and willing to change, the direction of change is out of your control (right now) and management is too busy with future plans to listen to people. Also, attrition may result in some employees having an unusual, and unsatisfying, mix of incompatible duties and tasks.

Advice to Management

Your growth affects staff as well. If you don't pay attention to how it's affecting them, you lose them. Right now you ARE losing them, and this could soon speed up.