Medical College of Wisconsin Reviews in Wisconsin | Glassdoor

Medical College of Wisconsin President & CEO John R. Raymond
John R. Raymond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, some departments(not mine) show favoritism (in 8 reviews)

• Need more options for work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Experiences will vary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Though some will complain that benefits aren't as good as they once were, for many staff they are still very good/competitive in current market. It offers an opportunity to work in an environment where individuals, be them faculty, researchers, or staff can all contribute to initiatives that improve health, education, research and patient care.

Cons

Research support is poor. There are few staff opportunities for advancement. Professional development is preached but seldom practiced. Annual performance evaluations as currently implemented are abstract, subjective and borderline useless to management and staff alike. Some areas like IS and HR are high turnover and understaffed. Compensation and culture vary from area to area. The worst are quite bad, but the best are outstanding. MCW is massive, but this explains why reviews and experiences differ so widely.

Advice to Management

Talent is the defining resource of your institution. Don't bother with engagement surveys only to be defensive about the results. If you see a division or department with high turnover, it's an indictment of the culture there, and leadership must answer for it. In my time at MCW I've worked both for my best and worst supervisors in 20 years.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We value and consider all feedback and will continue to find ways to improve.

2. "Coding Specialist"

Former Employee - Coding Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Coding Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very well known Business and offers a chance to move up into a position you are interested in.

Cons

Never had any problems there.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin and appreciate the comments.

3. "Content Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working with people passionate about patient care.

Cons

Need more options for work life balance.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your response. We will consider all feedback and look for ways to improve.

4. "Senior Administrative Assistant"

Former Contractor - Senior Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Senior Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many departments that and enjoyable staff. Overall, it is well run, a beautiful facility and working interdepartmentally is great.

Cons

My department allowed select persons privileges that they shouldn't have had including treating coworkers badly. It made for an extremely negative work environment. There were no direct supervisors to oversee what was taking place in the office, and they went by word of mouth. Therefore, there were a lot of underhanded behaviors taking place.

5. "Independent contractor"

Former Contractor - Indepent in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Indepent in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bright coworkers, most people passionate about what they are doing, ability to make a difference in the lives of others, interesting work.

Cons

Hard to think of a con ... maybe lack of clear path to advancement.

6. "Biostatistician I"

Current Employee - Bio Statistician I in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Bio Statistician I in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Academia, so not too rigorous, pretty laid back, pretty good benefits

Cons

Sick days accrue very slowly

"I dodged the bullet! Senior AA in Surgical Oncology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people were nice. I was a temp who received 1 day of training due to an emergency need. I was expected to know the job as if I had full training. I was promised if I did a good job I would be recommended for a permanent position; however, I was not given the training necessary to be efficient. Therefore, when I took to long to figure out where a document went, who should receive notification of a call, or how to upload CDs (because I needed to find someone myself to teach me) I was interrogated, questioned about the work flow I had, and my process for doing everything. If I asked how to do something, 99% of the time whatever it was, was taken out of my hand and I was told they (other AA'S) would do it. I was expected to know the urgency of certain documents and CD uploading without being told anything about the importance of the processes.

Cons

There was no one willing to teach me anything. It was easier for the manager to come down and interrogate me rather than taking the time to teach me anything. If I asked one group of people, whom I was encouraged to ask for direction by the person who trained me for 1 day, I was reprimanded. I did not know the appropriate chain of command and I was doing what I was told to do. Nonetheless, at every turn, I was criticized. With every task that I made a small mistake in, that task was taken away from me rather than someone helping me understand how to complete the task and what the priority level was. This was once an organization I hoped to become employed with, today, I am glad I walked out. There was no way I was given what I needed to succeed, much less, the ability to do a good job and be recommended for a permanent position.

Advice to Management

Rather than just trying to fill a position with a body, take into consideration that person is there to assist the organization in getting over it's temporary need. That body you have placed in that role temporarily is a human being who most likely has the desire to succeed. Rather than just interrogating a person (who is trying to process a bunch of information and is in an entirely different culture) have some compassion when that person is not able to articulate exactly what you are asking because he/she has only had one day of training and been present fir 3 weeks. It is ridiculous how I was made to feel and I am sorry I even bothered helping the way I did because now I could never work there, even if I wanted to.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your review regarding your experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin. We will continue to find ways to improve to help our organization grow.

"Executive Admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people within my department. The pay was decent enough for the work that I was doing.

Cons

No growth or development opportunities. Not treated with respect from others outside of my department

Advice to Management

Everyone is a valued employee

Jul 24, 2017

We value your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention.

9. "Good company, good benefits, good people"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst II in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst II in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The department I'm in seems to be very family friendly, aiming to have a true work-life balance.

Cons

Recent switch in vacation and Sick Time accrual. Went from 24 sick days per year down to 7 days. However, in the same move I went from 17 to 20 days of vacation time.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for the feedback.

"Research Technologist"

Current Employee - Research Technologist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technologist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great lab facilities - spacious lab benches, windows
    Access to core facilities
    Most major holidays off

Cons

Non-competitive salaries and personal time (16 days annually)
    Diminishing benefits (significantly reduced sick time), annual increases in health/vision/dental insurance
    Basic science research secondary to the institute's other goals
    Experiences will be heavily department specific:
    Very little career progression available
    Heavy expectations for after hours and weekend availability
    Department has a history of not retaining talent (combined effects of mismanagement, lack of career progression and uncompetitive salaries)