Medical Protective Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Timothy J. Kenesey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Strength, defense, solutions for over 100 years"

I worked at Medical Protective full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

solid company with plenty of runway to grow and protect docs

Cons

located in FW indiana....hard to attract good talent

2. "Great company with great benefits"

I have been working at Medical Protective full-time

Pros

MedPro offers great incentives on top of a competitive salary including retirement, PTO, health insurance, profit sharing, lunch program. This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Depending on your role, things can get repetitive.

"Unprofessional Bureaucracy promoting mediocrity"

Former Employee - Associate Underwriter in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Underwriter in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Medical Protective full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to consultative healthcare sales, experience is good for those who are great with conflict resolution. A stable job.

Cons

Lackluster promotional opportunities, lateral movements, promotions with no change in official title or job scope, mediocrity in management, disconnected senior and midlevel managers, compensation concerns, little work life balance. Company is ok with entry level workers staying entry level for entire career. This explains hiring tactic of getting high GPA college students their first job as they do not know any different. Unprofessional attention to company handbook. Will place clauses in handbook without informing company employees who are overworked. Policies only concerned of bottom line. Not good will or integrity. Everything at this company has a caveat. This includes going to the copy machine and restroom breaks. This is the equivalent of babysitting and being in high school. I was a top performer at my role and because I worked too efficiently I was not seen as a leader. This is a great product but company culture must change to retain employees. Also company needs to focus on updating 20+ year old systems. They worked on some new things for over a decade and then gave up. This is not a leading edge company for technology as much as this point is driven home by senior leaders. Also inconsiderate when an employee wished to transition to a new employer. Integrity needs to be engrained in managers. I was given many reasons to not hold up my end of a two weeks notice and completed it because of myself and personal integrity not loyalty to this company. This is a job not a career young college grads. You will learn that in year 4 here.

Advice to Management

Management needs to look at Amazon and take a real look at what a Day 1 mentality is. Mediocrity and poor manager promotion will allow for a slow decline of this company. Yeeat your people well and have a path or outsource your customer service. Dead-ending people only causes for hurt feelings and sour tastes.

4. "Unbearable Workloads-Terrible Management"

I have been working at Medical Protective full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and good match for IRA.

Cons

The philosophy of MedPro is to work each and every person into the ground. There is no investment in technology. I worked for a company 20 years ago that had better IT and integration. The strategy seems to be write as much business as possible but hire no one to service the business, expect everyone to work free unpaid overtime, give no bonuses (expect to the people who sell this business) and then get mad at everyone on the service side because they can't possibly keep up with the workload. Every person is set up to fail.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. The leadership is non-existent. You have no plan, no vision, no idea how to help the people on the front lines trying to give the customer service you think is so very important. But you just keep hiring underwriters and writing new business. You don't talk to each other and then blame the rank and file when the cracks start to show. There is zero accountability at the management level yet the rest of us are on a hamster wheel of audits and constant criticism. Meanwhile, IT programs you said would be done 10 year ago yes, that is 10 years ago, still aren't done with no repercussions for leadership.

5. "Wonderful for IT!"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Medical Protective full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They love hiring from within and getting people training and books for professional development.

Cons

It is impossible to get fired. Con? Yes. Because people that should not work there still do.

Advice to Management

MORE NEW HIRE TRAINING!

6. "Great work/life balance"

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

not used to a desk joob

7. "Great Environment"

I have been working at Medical Protective full-time

Pros

Family friendly with a great work life balance.

Cons

Salaries tend to be a little on the low side.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Medical Protective full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working hard allows you to move up, they hire within. Great environment.

Cons

People are often upset about not moving up, but it can sometimes be due to their lake of effort. This causes unpleasant people to work with.

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "Pretty Good"

Pros

Really nice to work at, cheap meal plan, relaxed work place but lots to do work wise, i worked on lots of different projects and got good experience

Cons

Pay isn't as high, took a while to get really into work, the first few weeks we didn't really do anything, also the name isn't that well known to other companies unless i mention Berkshire Hathaway as a parent company

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Great pay with free housing if you love outside Fort Wayne. They keep you involved with other interns. They normally offer you a job after

Cons

I really enjoyed my time here at MedPro. I just did not care to move too far away from home. If it was around my home it would be perfect.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice because I thought everyone cared a lot that you were there