Medical Teams International Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"IT"

Former Employee - Helpdesk in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Helpdesk in Tigard, OR

I worked at Medical Teams International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission statement. Great people working there... I genuinely liked almost everyone, which was a first. Forward thinking for a non-profit with efficiency in mind.

Cons

Organizational mindset can be frustrating. Several poor hiring decisions meant the rockstars had to carry the extra workload.

Advice to Management

Without having a solid foundation of staff, and being willing to remove mediocre workers, there will be turmoil in the workforce. You get what you pay for.

2. "After Years of Hoping for Improvement, Talent is Finally Abandoning This Dysfunctional Org"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I worked at Medical Teams International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is tops. Everyone at the organization believes in the work, and so there's a camaraderie of purpose.

Cons

The staff satisfaction survey says it all, taken each year and yielding "abysmal results", according to HR. And astoundingly, each year the results get worse. The survey testified to my experience that staff morale is worse than anywhere I've worked - although due to the faith and mission commitment of the employees, attitudes are kept in check for the most part.

It's a demoralizing place to work. Lower employees and management get punished for the lack of results, after following leadership's directives. Eventually leadership (of every department) is fired for lack of results, so lower employees have to suffer through new management with ideas of how to "fix" issues without really understanding them. The cycle repeats, with lack of results, blame starting at the bottom and working it's way to the top.

Meanwhile, those actually keeping the organization functioning (middle management and lower employees) receive no recognition for their work, or opportunities for advancement, as management turnover and restructures keep any promise of advancement in constant limbo. Talented staff hang on, committed to the mission (there aren't many alternative Christian NGOs in Portland to turn to), until they are completely burnt out and demoralized and if they're lucky, they resign. I have many friends there still struggling to stay positive and hoping for improvement.

It is no wonder that there is huge annual voluntary turnover of staff (I couldn't divulge the percentage, as that's confidential). I pray for the sake of those MTI serves that things someday turn around, but from what I've heard it's getting worse.

When you're interviewing for a position, make sure you ask what happened to the previous person in that role, and why they left, or why they were let go. See if you get a satisfying answer.

(I left voluntarily after several years, transferred to another NGO.)

Advice to Management

If you want to operate like a business, understand that successful businesses give clarity to employees, tools to succeed, then value and reward their employees for performance, not punish them for leadership's incompetence.

Also, take a hard look at your investment in fundraising staff.

3. "I can't believe what I am reading.."

I have been working at Medical Teams International full-time

Pros

Having been at MTI for nearly a year, I can't believe what I am reading. I have to think these are people who don't want to be happy. This is an exciting place to work. MTI is becoming a tier 1 organization and has been working hard to be inclusive of everyone's input.

Cons

There has been a negative thread of people complaining about being overworked. Many of those people have left, apparently writing reviews in Glass Door as they depart.

Advice to Management

Hold the course. Things are really improving as MTI goes through the normal pains of growth.

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Operations in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Operations in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Medical Teams International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical Teams has a great mission and is respected in the industry. The staff at the implementation level are incredibly talented and passionate about what they do. They have an amazing volunteer workforce both internationally and domestically that are dedicated to the success of the organization and the people it serves. Historically they have paid fairly well for non-profits in the area however this seems to be changing.

Cons

There are very few pathways for advancement within the organization. The leadership team lacks the skill set and creativity to adequately utilize the talents of the staff they have. Turnover is very high, approximately 15% for the organization, double that in some departments. It has been disappointing to realize how little the management team cares about the development of its employees or the health of the organization overall. Staff morale is currently quite low.

Advice to Management

Stop being so concerned about your own power and ego and begin investing in your employees. Unless you start listening and respecting those under you the organization will continue to bleed staff.

5. "Human Resource/Admin Officer, ResearchAssistant"

Former Employee - Administration and Human Resources Officer in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Administration and Human Resources Officer in Tigard, OR

I worked at Medical Teams International (More than a year)

Pros

Started working at MTI due to the need to response the the EVD outbreak. It was challenging but had to serve where the need was great.

Cons

Working with partners to come to one agreement was kind of boring. The entire health system was down. Communites needed enough awareness to combat the virus along with health worker.

"n/a"

I have been working at Medical Teams International full-time

Pros

Heart for the mission; great coworkers

Cons

The Integrity of the organization has been compromised. Communications are poor, management/leadership sorely need coaching/training, Tend to overshoot goals without any plan on how to accomplish goals nor do they have the means to provide the tools resources for staff to do their job and accomplish goals. Claim staff are the experts, but leadership/management do not bring in the "experts" in decision making or program implementation. Management does not have employees best interest in mind. Toxic work environment that is detrimental to your physical, emotional and even spiritual well being.

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I worked at Medical Teams International (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission and focus on serving in disaster relief areas.

Cons

More communications across the organization is needed.

Advice to Management

Increase methods of communication to staff.

8. "Great personal satisfaction giving back to others less fortunate"

Former Employee - Web Marketing Manager in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Web Marketing Manager in Tigard, OR

I worked at Medical Teams International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of being Christ's hands and feet ministering to the most needy people in the world is extremely fulfilling. You are working with a group of fellow Christians and there is a weekly praise and prayer meeting.

Cons

Like most all non-profits the pay is far less than what you could get for the same job in the corporate world. There is also limited possibility for career advancement.

9. "Marketing Communications Manager"

I have been working at Medical Teams International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This organization does amazing work to help vulnerable people around the world.

Cons

There is too much violence and inequity in the world, and too many people who need help.

10. "x"

I have been working at Medical Teams International full-time

Pros

Plenty of self directed learning opportunities

Cons

Toxic environment, power of collaboration