KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Nov 8, 2021

Found 96 of over 1,039 reviews

3.6
Medical University of South Carolina CEO, MUSC Health and Vice President for Health Affairs, University Patrick J. Cawley, M.D., MHM, FACHE
Patrick J. Cawley, M.D., MHM, FACHE

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

6h

a

Physician Assistant

New graduate PA in pediatric primary care reaching yearly review wanting to engage in asking for a raise as I didn't negotiate initially. Base pay 45/hr but seeing 20+ patients a day in a fast paced clinic. Best strategies to engage in the conversation.

8 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "pay is low and their efforts to keep up with inflation are poor.(in 85 reviews)
  • "Parking is limited and I have to take a bus from a parkiing lot to work.(in 53 reviews)
  • "poor management, peer reviews are used for raises which can be very subjective and based on your personal relationship with your supervisor.(in 32 reviews)
  • "low salary even with growth(in 30 reviews)
  • "organization, poor leadership in areas(in 13 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Medical University of South Carolina and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stay away - Very Misleading!

May 24, 2021 - Recruitment Marketing Strategist/Provider Sourcing Strategist in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good Medical benefits (but very expensive and only one option) - Generous (but confusing) PTO policy

Cons

- The position I interviewed for and the work I did were incredibly different. I was told I would be creating social media posts and running campaigns, developing content, have the ability to introduce some new technology into the aging medical community... I did none of that but create a little content and only because I had to send some emails. You will be a glorified admin writing job descriptions and doing the recruiter's work. - Incredibly old technology... ATS is difficult to navigate and pretty useless for building pipelines. Only sourcing technologies are for active candidates, not passive ones. Not willing to spend money to upgrade to new technology... would rather pay vendors for one-off work (which is even more expensive). That, or they will pay thousands of dollars to post in a professional journal that will yield maybe 2 people in total, neither of which will be qualified. - Everything is active recruiting, waiting on people to apply... you have no tools to do any passive sourcing, can't even get Recruiter Lite because as one recruiter put it, "not a lot of health professionals are on LinkedIn." - Recruiters have 5 people in a pipeline and act like the world is going to fall upon them they are so busy. You will have to handhold them through every step (some are older and don't get any sort of technology) and when you try to teach them they will just tell you, "that's your job to do it for me." I built a simple spreadsheet to help track priority and one recruiter told me that she, "does not do or understand spreadsheets and won't be using it." - Everything is just... slow. Want a job approved, maybe in 2 weeks. Want a description approved, 2 weeks. Need someone to finalize the approval process, another week. Then they wonder why they can't attract top-tier candidates. - Director is more than happy to tell you all about the "amazing" people he has placed and all the companies he has built because he is so incredible. This is also after he made the comment that he, "was happy to have another man in the office because he had to work with all women already." - You will not be doing any real marketing... all of that has to run through.. you guessed it, the actual marketing department, which won't give you access to anything. - Finally, while they do have good benefits, there is only one plan for MUSCP and they are incredibly expensive

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

opthalmic tech

Sep 2, 2021 - Opthalmic Technician in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits package to choose from

Cons

parking, Human Resorces, some of the patients

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a position that is long term

Aug 29, 2022 - Therapeutic Technician in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

MUSC offered pretty good benefits

Cons

High risk of physical injury No growth opportunities within role Low pay for nature of job Techs were treated as inferior to nurses and doctors

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nursing at MUSC

Jun 28, 2021 - Registered Nurse, BSN in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ University hospital so you're always learning new skills and procedures. + My floor manager is great and supports everyone (Every floor is diff. though) + Friendly staff (varies by floor) + Gives good health benefits and partially matches 401K contributions. Also is a way to get state pension.

Cons

-University hospital so you're always having to learn new things (no extra pay either if not at work) - Base pay starting as an RN I is lower than other states and all the hospitals in the area seem to have unofficially "adopted" the same base pay for RN I. -Med-Surg, PCN, & ICU all have same base pay. Only Surgical RN's make money.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

It's a Job

Jul 2, 2015 - Administrative Assistance in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are pretty good and you feel secure that you won't get laid off. Even though it's not perfect nor by far the best place to work in SC, most employees seem glad to work here and take pride in their work.

Cons

You get a small raise every year, if that. Parking is a pain, you have to park several blocks away and take a shuttle to work. Doctors are given special treatment. Upper management makes an effort to communicate information to the rank and file but there is a huge lack of communication between employees in different departments. Even though we are implementing electronic medical records, very little IT training is offered to employees which a lot of employees REALLY need. Sure they offer training in the medical record software, but many employees need basic training on basic IT skills, like how to use a mouse, or how to save a document in the right folder.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Low Pay with High Expectations

Nov 8, 2021 - Medical Records Coordinator in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits for employees and their families.

Cons

Unless you are a nurse, MD or executive you don' get a living wage. Cost of living in Charleston keeps go8ing up but the pay never changes. Once a year you may get .60 cent an hour increase on average for a non-clinical worker. I would like to see how they would operate without us. We even have to pay for our own parking.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good company, low wages

Apr 21, 2022 - Scribe
    Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with good people and had decent benefits

Cons

Low wages, they do not show great appreciation for their employees

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love working here

Aug 1, 2022 - Phd Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits for post docs

Cons

not a great post doc support system/group of others to interact with

9. 1.0
    Current Employee

Not good if you're not involved in patient care

Nov 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good medical and other benefits

Cons

Unless you are clinical provider, your work is not valued.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not all it's hyped up to be

May 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good healthcare benefits and time off

Cons

Complacency, mediocrity, poor management. On the University side, there is no way to move up a pay band without someone retiring or leaving. This provides little incentive and motivation for employees to work hard. For most, it's the type of job where you show up, do the bare minimum, and collect a paycheck. And the management seems to be fine with this. This is not what I expected with the reputation MUSC has in the community.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 96 Reviews