KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Nov 11, 2021

Found 181 of over 1,041 reviews

3.6
Medical University of South Carolina CEO, MUSC Health and Vice President for Health Affairs, University Patrick J. Cawley, M.D., MHM, FACHE
Patrick J. Cawley, M.D., MHM, FACHE

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

4h

works at

Ardor Health Solutions

Calling all nurses, therapists, and allied health professionals!!! If you have 2+ yrs of experience, are ready to try something new, or are just hungry for good money, look no further! I’m a healthcare professional and recruiter looking to help you find the perfect travel contract for the end of the year. We staff nationwide and are a smaller agency which means YOU are the focus. If you want to learn more about travel, or are ready to find your next job: isabellac@ardorhealth.com (866)-425-5768 Chat soon!

2 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "pay is low and their efforts to keep up with inflation are poor.(in 82 reviews)
  • "Parking is a nightmare.(in 53 reviews)
  • "poor management, peer reviews are used for raises which can be very subjective and based on your personal relationship with your supervisor.(in 34 reviews)
  • "salary was low for the high cost of living(in 30 reviews)
  • "organization, poor leadership in areas(in 12 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Medical University of South Carolina and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0

An OK place to work

Dec 9, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

In the heart of downtown Charleston. Great people from all walks of life

Cons

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Decision making process by leadership takes a very long time. Pay is not very competitive and raises are abysmal.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Exciting organization to work for as an analyst.

Sep 21, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot is changing in the field of analytics and this organization welcomes ideas. Charleston is a beautiful city to live and work.

Cons

MUSC is able to pay lower salaries due to the allure of living in Charleston. Parking can be a pain when you work on the peninsula.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stay away - Very Misleading!

May 24, 2021 - Recruitment Marketing Strategist/Provider Sourcing Strategist in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good Medical benefits (but very expensive and only one option) - Generous (but confusing) PTO policy

Cons

- The position I interviewed for and the work I did were incredibly different. I was told I would be creating social media posts and running campaigns, developing content, have the ability to introduce some new technology into the aging medical community... I did none of that but create a little content and only because I had to send some emails. You will be a glorified admin writing job descriptions and doing the recruiter's work. - Incredibly old technology... ATS is difficult to navigate and pretty useless for building pipelines. Only sourcing technologies are for active candidates, not passive ones. Not willing to spend money to upgrade to new technology... would rather pay vendors for one-off work (which is even more expensive). That, or they will pay thousands of dollars to post in a professional journal that will yield maybe 2 people in total, neither of which will be qualified. - Everything is active recruiting, waiting on people to apply... you have no tools to do any passive sourcing, can't even get Recruiter Lite because as one recruiter put it, 'not a lot of health professionals are on LinkedIn.' - Recruiters have 5 people in a pipeline and act like the world is going to fall upon them they are so busy. You will have to handhold them through every step (some are older and don't get any sort of technology) and when you try to teach them they will just tell you, 'that's your job to do it for me.' I built a simple spreadsheet to help track priority and one recruiter told me that she, 'does not do or understand spreadsheets and won't be using it.' - Everything is just... slow. Want a job approved, maybe in 2 weeks. Want a description approved, 2 weeks. Need someone to finalize the approval process, another week. Then they wonder why they can't attract top-tier candidates. - Director is more than happy to tell you all about the 'amazing' people he has placed and all the companies he has built because he is so incredible. This is also after he made the comment that he, 'was happy to have another man in the office because he had to work with all women already.' - You will not be doing any real marketing... all of that has to run through.. you guessed it, the actual marketing department, which won't give you access to anything. - Finally, while they do have good benefits, there is only one plan for MUSCP and they are incredibly expensive

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Experience and employees

Apr 25, 2022 - Patient Care Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome community and coworkers! Enjoyed going to work everyday.

Cons

Pay was not ideal for the amount of work but overall a great company to work for!

5. 2.0

Medical Office Assistant

Sep 12, 2016 - Office Assistant in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

My schedule is fairly flexible and I get medical benefits

Cons

Poor management. Poor pay and rarely ever see raises from what I hear from employees who have worked here for much longer. Benefits are okay, but I get more taken out of my paycheck for my benefits than I did at my previous job and I can ONLY be seen at MUSC if I don't want to pay a lot... which is hard because appointments are several weeks out.

6. 3.0

It's okay

Jul 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

High acuity of patients, great for learning

Cons

Limited parking areas and expensive to pay for

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A good place to start or end your career, not good for growth.

Feb 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Downtown Charleston location is nice

Cons

Old school IT department where people sit in their cubes with their heads down. Little collaboration between team and poor office culture. The pay is below industry standard and the most you are going to get is a 3% annual raise. PTO is a joke, as they make you use your accrued hours for holidays (Christmas, New Years day, etc.) I could only recommend it as a way to get started in healthcare IT or if you were looking to retire. This is not a place to have a career at.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

good people not so great pay

Aug 2, 2022 - Research Specialist I in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership in the university, but this is largely dependent on your supervisior.

Cons

pay is low and their efforts to keep up with inflation are poor. A 3% raise in face of 9.1% inflation means we are losing money by remaining here.

9. 2.0

University employee

Mar 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

State benefits (decent insurance, vacation and sick leave)

Cons

The pay is not competitive nor is it consistent with the cost of living for the area. There is no focus on employment satisfaction. Management does not mentor employees or give opportunity for promotion.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Limitations of a state agency

Jun 18, 2010 -  in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

My co-workers are wonderful. The reputation of the University - especially the research areas - is one of the reasons why I wanted to work here. It is well-respected in the community.

Cons

The University and the Hospital fall under the same 'MUSC' name. However, the University is a state agency and the Hospital is not. This causes a lot of problems because the University must abide by the strict regulations mandated by the Budget & Control Board. The Hospital pays much better and the University cannot be as competitive because of the outdated and unreasonable pay band structure. Also, the bureaucracy and politics of a state agency means there are so many hoops to jump through just to get one thing approved that a lot of time is wasted. The University is serious about hierarchy, which drives me crazy!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 181 Reviews