Medidata Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif
Tarek Sherif

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great flexibility to accommodate work-life Balance" (in 25 reviews)

• "There are growing pains of course but at least the company is growing and they still care about there employees and customers" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance can get hectic occasionally" (in 16 reviews)

• "Some of the middle management being hired is a joke" (in 10 reviews)

1. "A Gem of a Company"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I'm currently in the NYC Headquarters, which is modern and open.
    - The teams I work with are knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. There is never a moment when I cannot ask someone for help with something I do not understand.
    - The company cares about its employees and its mission.
    - There is a clear vision for the future that connects from the C-level to the rank and file.
    - Despite the clear hierarchy, I can talk to whomever I desire when bandwidth allows.
    - I look forward to coming to work each day, even when things get difficult.

Cons

- There is a lot to learn especially if you are new to the Life Sciences field. Nevertheless, the team is patient and will train you well.
    - The company is huge, so it will take a while to get to know your colleagues outside of your immediate teams and reports. There are plenty of opportunities to connect, however.

Advice to Management

Nothing yet! At the least, keep it up!

2. "Amazing culture, tremendous business opportunity and very talented teams"

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial, positive, decisive, no politics kind of culture.
    Fast pace growth, market-leading solutions and outstanding customer retention and satisfaction
    Very talented and visionary leadership team.
    Great values, respect and opportunities for people.

Cons

Fast pace business could be intense... but patients are waiting for new treatments!

"Best Career Move"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teams at Medidata are incredibly collaborative and supportive. People are driven by the mission of the company and truly want to make a difference in people's health and lives.

Cons

None at all! It is a great, supportive environment!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, awesome energy in team, everybody makes you feel welcome, awesome welcome program and you get to travel to New York office if you are not in that office already for new hire orientation.

Cons

offices are located in downtown, so commute is an issue.

Advice to Management

More transparent, more communication

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, outstanding processes, tons of opportunity, excellent training and support for new hires. There is a true sense of team at Medidata which is rare.

Cons

Not many - its a large organization and if you don't come from the industry its a lot to learn but otherwise there aren't many negatives I can think of....great place to work.

Advice to Management

Honestly, just keep doing what you're doing; the emphasis on employees development, the culture, the investment Medidata has made in processes and staff are fantastic.

"Good Company but...."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, flexible schedule though depends on which department you are in, good learning opportunities. Fun to work, Great people. I do recommend this company, the best probably company in its field of life sciences, however...see next section

Cons

Huge favoritism in software development, engineering department (i.e. platform, study conduct), Need to be good friends with management in order to get promoted or raise in Engineering. I want to emphasize - this is not to apply to all departments across Medidata, because I know few people (not in software development) and they don't observe favoritism.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism across all engineering solutions, and, in particular across platform. it tremendously reduces productivity and creativity, it is really discouraging. Listen, ask, explain the why instead of "Do It".

"Sales Organisation Brain Drain"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, peers who care about their work, company mission, mostly great products

Cons

Useless HR business partners, Sales Leadership, lack of creativity, no comprehensible sales vision outside of "go sell more", convoluted comp plans

Advice to Management

This once great company and culture has gone the way of the dinosaur. I think there are some good spots left to work in at Medidata, sales is not one of them anymore.

If you like working with rigid unimaginative corporate sales leaders, this is your place. The reasons that made this place so attractive to work at 5-6 years ago are largely gone. It is definitely harder to penetrate a market after so much growth but the ideas and direction brought forth by the 3 letter company team is a snooze. Plus they bring with them no understanding or appreciation of what Medidata is about. Their interest in it is superficial at best.

My advice to management is to start being straight with everyone else, and yourselves, as to why the brain drain is continuing unabated. They know why senior sales people are running for the hills. Highly talented and capable people are leaving the organization for far more interesting sales landscapes. In their place are more of the same ole from the same exact company with 3 letters, a company that's been on a steady decline for half a decade. But surely they must be smart enough to lead Medidata up to the next level!?

They would have you believe that the new folks are the smartest people in the room. Interesting angle considering that while the established Medidata people have grown their businesses exponentially in 5-10 years, they had most likely been languishing in senior management purgatory at the 3 letter company. There is a reason Warren Buffett dumped almost all of his stake and diverted it into Apple and Teva this year. He knows it's stagnant and hasn't innovated with anything meaningful this decade.

Point is Medidata is still a great company with amazing people. Some roles provide opportunities to make a difference with. The technology and mission is inspiring, who doesn't love Glen or Tarek? BUT if you are looking for that inspiration from Medidata sales leaders (save for a few folks not originating from the 3 letter company), I'd say look at some of the other companies in this space. They may not have the products and could be a tougher sale for you competing against Medidata, but you'll make some money and definitely enjoy your job a lot more than this place.

"Great Patient-centric Company with Supportive Teams"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Teams and managers are extremely supportive (you won't get the blame game when things don't go perfectly, instead you hear "we are in this together" etc.)
    *The company leadership focuses on how the work will lead to better outcomes for patients, it's a refreshing change from profit focused timelines and such in this industry
    *The employees are happy because they are treated as adults with respect and are allowed to do what they know is best in the most supportive way possible
    *Training, WI, and SOPs are well written
    *HR is terrific and everyone is helpful
    *The company is committed to supporting the communities in which they exist, community service is a genuine investment
    * Founders are refreshingly normal and approachable
    *Managers are soft skills superstars who really know their stuff and know how to treat others
    *The people make the difference. Medidata has hired some of the smartest, hardest working people in the industry!

Cons

I wish there were more offices in the southeast US.

"Collections Anaylst"

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

A wonderful working evironment. Great opportunities!

Cons

Only been working here 3 months. I haven't experienced any cons yet.

"Fun and fast pace"

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

This is truly a fast paced environment. Many companies claim they are but few deliver on that promise. Lots of expansion in many departments and customers know who we are. I see many positive things in this company. Intern sponsorship, community outreach, employee events and the benefits are great.

Cons

If you want to have your hand held the entire time this is not the place for you. You get ramped up and you are off.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to look at what competitive offerings are out there. There are lots of fantastic solutions here at Medidata but don't think we are in a glass bubble.