Medifast Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 236 reviews

Medifast CEO Daniel Chard
Daniel Chard
Pros
Cons
  • "Rewarding work, but not thanks to upper management(in 24 reviews)

• "Combatting the Obesity Epidemic and improving peoples lives through weight loss is just so much smoke(in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"nice environment"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have a good manager

Cons

could work weekends and sudden weekend schedule

Advice to Management

Better pay would help inspire

Medifast2019-04-15
  2. "Good benefits and nice location. Tough job."

Current Employee - Dietetic Technician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location is incredible and amazing benefits

Cons

you must pay for parking downtown Baltimore, which is outrageously expensive. Poor management. You are practically a call center rep. This is a weight loss company following outdated approaches and promoting restrictive dieting. Coaches can be very difficult to work with and very aggressive/angry and you get very little support/empathy from management.

Medifast2019-09-06
  3. "Great Job For Recent Grads"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

great company culture, discounts on product, feels like you're making a difference in people's lives, bonus incentives

Cons

long hours, low pay, not great tasting product

Medifast2019-09-04
  4. "Good start"

Former Employee - Weight Control Counselor

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of experience Lots of opportunity to refine customer service skills

Cons

Overemphasis on sales over nutrition counseling Barristas make more per hour than you do

Advice to Management

Pay raises. If you want college educated workers, you need to pay college educated wages.

Medifast2019-08-28
  5. "Good learning experience, bad management and not alot of room for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Counselor

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping members, changing lives Growing customer service skills Having rotating Saturday's off

Cons

Corporate - bought out by Franchise District Manager Late nights - no overtime available Commission option in the beginning, was not the case

Medifast2019-07-02
  6. "Lovely"

I worked at Medifast full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment to work at.

Cons

None for the most part

Medifast2019-06-19

"Under qualified leadership, micromanagement, ego rule the roost."

Former Employee - IT/ECommerce in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Colleagues/peers are great people and enjoyable to work with. - Nice location.

Cons

I am only speaking to the issues and cons of my experience and my department - not of the business as a whole. Overall, there are some very wonderful people working at Medifast and wonderful front-line managers/directors. I'm only speaking of the facts I've faced and offering my opinion about them here. - Since moving to the lovely new office space the already painful lack of communication between upper... management and OPTAVIA to everyone else has become even more magnified and now literally more disconnected with them and everyone else on two different floors. - The attitude of exclusivity among the upper and middle management keeps communications from the minions - which leads to low morale and lack of ownership among employees. - The separation of business channels/units and the established enterprise service departments overlap and are confusing and often redundant. - No credit or appreciation is given for work well done. - As its core channel, Digital/Ecomm became oddly led by a project manager that was somehow able to make up a new position as a director - which boggled/angered many, AND not long after, when new upper management came in, they were none the wiser and further solidified that role. - Having an unqualified leader and people manager has caused many problems up, down and across the organization. - Lack of leadership experience, leads to their lack of trust, micromanagement and getting in the way of progress for the employees trying to get things done. When faced with an employee speaking up about those issues, egos get bruised and they hold grudges. You have to admit something is wrong when employees can get more done away from the office or when the leadership isn't meddling or there -and employee awareness of this fact, among other demeaning behaviors, leads to low morale and powerlessness. - Leadership inexplicably finds pleasure in giving "no" answers to the people they are there to service. They have a "we don't want to help them" attitude - which stems from what? I'm not sure. I just know I was ecstatic at one point when someone asked for my help on something that was part of something I managed. When explaining to my boss, I was told no, not to do it because we don't want to help them. I was shocked at that attitude. How is that productive or conductive to anything? - If you are ill or have a personal issue to contend with, do not expect any understanding or acknowledgement that you are a person with a life. They don't care. It doesn't matter if you're putting hours elsewhere, being up all night working with a vendor on the other side of the globe, work an extra day on the weekend, or even deliver your work. This is not a healthy environment if you're looking for respect for your time or your value as an employee. In fact, as a salaried employee, it's a bit offensive to be treated as if you're in grade school to be marked against for such issues. - You will not be treated fairly. There are favorites and if you're not one of them, don't expect any kind of reward, trust, or favors. - Toward the end of my employment, I would go to work with knots in my stomach from the stress of dealing with my boss and knowing that I was working hard and would never be acknowledged for it, sometimes credit stolen from me and more and more often to be demeaned.

Advice to Management

Re-think the org structure of the Digital, Ecomm, Marketing and Analytics/BI areas of the enterprise and how it sits in relationship to how digital fits into the business process of the entire organization. Re-define Ecomm into the systems/infrastructure realm it should be, and align digital, marketing and BI into an internal org agency. Then rethink the leadership roles for these areas. Current leadership is... not fit to sit atop the department as it's currently defined, nor fit to lead people. Project Managers do not necessarily make good directors or leaders - especially of one of the most visible and vital supporting units of the business.

Medifast2019-05-25
  8. "=)"

Counselor in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Medifast for more than a year

Pros

Clients, seeing success, encouraging clients, building relationships

Cons

pay, hours, community engagement, location

Medifast2019-02-04
  9. "Probably Not the Best Place"

Former Employee - Associate in Poway, CA

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discounts. Flexible hours. Commission.

Cons

If you have a bad manager, it is not a great place to work. Very sorority like atmosphere and not in a good way.

Medifast2019-03-06

"Weight Loss Conselor"

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Medifast full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Co-workers are nice - Team meetings to help train you - Give you verbal appreciation

Cons

- 2-hour lunches - Hours are long, only get one day off each month (need to request the day) - Extended Saturday hours - Will ask you to help out at other centers (Long drives)

Advice to Management

No more 2-hour lunches

Medifast2019-01-15